A
Savvy September 2015

Pets in the wedding?

Allie, on August 22, 2014 at 8:55 PM Posted in Planning 0 16
Saved Save

Is anyone considering having their dog/s in the wedding? How do venues feel about it? Where does the dog go during the reception?

16 Comments

• Hannah
    Devoted August 2015
    Hannah ·
    • Flag

I want to so badly have my ten pound poodle and eighteen pound rat terrier be in my wedding!! They are such a big part of my life and I can't imagine them sitting home alone all day. I want to do something like a cute sign that says "Here Come's the Bride". My mother is completely against it, though. She thinks he will try to jump on her lap or on my dress, which is a possibility because they are both complete lap dogs. I definitely at least want pictures with them in my dress. I told my mom we shouldn't ask our venue, and just do it! Although, our venue is a barn and they basically just come and unlock it for us and no one is their from the venue the day of. I don't know what we would do with them during the reception, which is another reason why my Mother is against it.

• F
    VIP May 2015
    FutureMrs.B ·
    • Flag

My venue is fine with it as long as we bring clean up bags! lol. With that being said, I doubt they will be in our wedding. Which puts me in a pickle --- everyone I trust my kids with will be at the wedding!!

• Courtney
    VIP January 2015
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

I would love to, but my pup is kind of a nightmare when she's out in public. Lol. I would love it, but it's just not a good idea. I think it's adorable when people do it, though. Someone could maybe bring them somewhere after the ceremony, or I've seen a Four Weddings where the dog chilled with everyone during the reception. (The guest brides weren't big fans of that.)

• KarenM
    Master November 2014
    KarenM ·
    • Flag

Not a good idea. We have cats, which are obviously out of the question. That being said, here's what I don't want on my wedding day is unpredictability.

• Celia Milton
    January 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

We do a lot of weddings with dogs in them. You need to have a handler for the dog so it's exposure to guests is minimal and appropriate for their attention span. You have a whole day to host, and they won't be into it for that long.

• Kelly Snyder
    January 2020
    Kelly Snyder ·
    • Flag

Some venues allow it and others don't. Celia is right about a handler for the dog. It also depends on the dog. My dog could never handle a wedding, so think about your pets before you have them in a wedding. The best thing would be just have them for some cute pictures not actually in the wedding. Less stress for both.

• Mrs.Ekstrom
    Expert September 2014
    Mrs.Ekstrom ·
    • Flag

We really want to but if we do that means someone has to pick them up from our house bring them to the park watch them during pictures, walk them down the aisle, watch during the ceremony and then bring them home. It just seems like a lot of unneeded stress.

• M
    Master December 2014
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

I'm having my dogs as the ring bearers. My venue allows pets only during the ceremony so we are having someone take them back to the hotel during cocktail hour. (it's pet friendly and across the street from the venue)

• A
    Savvy September 2015
    Allie ·
    • Flag

Thanks for the tips! I like the idea of including them in the photos. They are very well behaved but would definitely get bored and knowing me I'd be more worried about them than enjoying my day. Thank you!

• Kimberly N
    Super May 2014
    Kimberly N ·
    • Flag

I think it's a fun idea but a logistical nightmare!

• KristenMeowza
    Master October 2014
    KristenMeowza ·
    • Flag

We're planing on having our 2 dogs in the ceremony! I really wanted them to be flower girl and ring bearer and to include them in the photos. During the cocktail hour we've arranged for a pet sitter to come to the venue to pick them up and watch them at her house overnight. Then she will drop them off to us at our hotel in the morning.

I emailed my venue far in advance to get the approval to have dogs on the property. Hopefully it all goes swimmingly!

• S
    Dedicated September 2014
    Strawberry Cheeks ·
    • Flag

My dog couldn't handle that much stress! I am getting her groomed the day before and putting a pretty crochet flower in my wedding colors on her collar so we can take pictures together at my apartment. Other than that she'll have to stay home, I agree with most posters that anything more would add undue stress to the day.

• Maltese
    Master June 2015
    Maltese ·
    • Flag

FH wont let me. :-(

He said no to that idea even before we decided on our venue so that going to leave us in a pickle of who to get to watch them that day

• KM
    Master March 2015
    KM ·
    • Flag

We were thinking of having our older dog in the wedding as our "flower girl" since we won't be having one. She's a saint when it comes to being around people and listening, so I know she would do great. We are also staying right on our venue property, so we could just stick her back in the room real quick (walking distance from the chapel) and go about our night. Now if only my venue will allow her in the chapel...

• M
    Expert April 2015
    MeganM ·
    • Flag

I would love to, but my dog gets crazy excited around people and unfamiliar places with a lot going on. And he's 90 pounds...so he could easily knock stuff (or people) over and that would be a nightmare. We had him in our save the date pictures instead.

• A
    VIP August 2014
    Anonymous ·
    • Flag

I am taking some pictures with my dog before the wedding. We aren't having her in the actually wedding at all though due to the fact she is a bitch to strangers and it would just be her growling at the room the entire time.

Comment on this discussion