R
Savvy June 2018

Paying Officiant

Rebecca, on June 11, 2018 at 6:04 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 4
Saved Save
Would it be acceptable to pay our pastor the Sunday before the ceremony immediately following our weekly service? We go to church every Sunday morning and our pastor is performing our service that Saturday evening. Would it be appropriate to pay him that Sunday morning before to cross one more thing off our list? If so, how should bee go about it?

4 Comments

• A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    I would ask your pastor how he wants to handle his pay/ donation as the officiant and if you can bring it to him the Sunday before the wedding. My church had me pay everything, including the donation to the clergy fund, a month before our wedding.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

You could always ask! We plan on paying all vendors the day of. Our coordinator will be given an envelope with the pre-written checks in it so she can give them to them the day of.

• A
    Expert September 2019
    Anna ·
    • Flag
    Definitely ask! If he says whatever works then maybe do a thank you card and put the money in that. So after the service you can thank him and give him the funds
  • Selia
    Super October 2024
    Selia ·
    • Flag

Hey Rebecca! I totally agree with everyone commenting that it would be most appropriate to ask. There isn't really a "right or wrong" way of handling this, it's really just what your pastor would prefer. I'm sure he would appreciate you wanting to take care of payment sooner rather than later.

I think it's a beautiful idea to give him a thank you card of small gift that includes the payment to let him know how grateful you are for him being a part of your special day!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics