Keisha
Master September 2018

Paris or Barcelona

Keisha, on May 5, 2017 at 8:29 AM Posted in Honeymoon 0 40
Saved Save

Who has been to Paris and/or Barcelona? Which city would you prefer? The cruise we are taking leaves out of Barcelona. I know its super early but flights will be out soon and I would like to have some idea of what to do. We haven't been to either city and it will be our first time in Europe.

I am thinking Paris for the opera or ballet and the Louvre. Barcelona would be easier as we will already be in the city after the cruise, but I am unsure what there is to do

Thanks!

40 Comments

• Private_User832
    Master August 2017
    Private_User832 ·

I've been to Paris but not Barcelona. Paris has so much to do and see! Unfortunately I did find that I was not nearly as welcomed in Paris as in the other 9 countries I've traveled to in Europe. But the sites are amazing and I loved the crepes!

But I think you can't go wrong with either! I would love to go to Barcelona one day. Personally I'd probably do Barcelona because you'll be there already. But it depends on how much you want to see Paris.

• MrsMitch
    Master August 2017
    MrsMitch ·

Hi Keisha! If possible, I'd recommend taking a high-speed train from Barcelona to Paris for a day or two so you can fit both in....

• Keisha
    Master September 2018
    Keisha ·

Thanks Private user! I am worried about how I will be received in Paris as I have heard some stories from people that have gone

Hi FutureMrs! We have three to four days after the cruise to stay in a city. I was thinking a day before the cruise in Barcelona and time after in Paris. But I have to price that out. I can't do the train as FH gets car sick and we do not want to risk it.

• MrsMitch
    Master August 2017
    MrsMitch ·

If it's in the budget watch flights. You can get very reasonable flights from Barcelona to Paris also. Direct flight is right around 2 hours.

• Keisha
    Master September 2018
    Keisha ·

I originally wanted to do a Europe on our own kinda honeymoon, but with his motion sickness I didn't want to risk having him sick on the trip. We did a cruise instead since he has been on one before. Anywhere we go after has to be accessible through a flight

• HavanaChic
    Super February 2018
    HavanaChic ·

I have not been in either BUT we are planning our HM and is a cruise departing from Barcelona too!! We started looking for flights and train costs (I want to take advantage and visit Madrid too, although is not in the cruise itinerary). We found this super cheap airline called Norwegian Air with flights from FLL to Barcelona nonstop for like $525 rountrip... I think is worth a try.

Good luck!!

• L
    Expert April 2018
    lindabelcher ·

I would choose Barcelona, especially because you're already going to be there but also because it is a beautiful city. Plus, you don't hear people say "I went to Barcelona" every day! As PPs have said, look for flights.

• IrishBride
    Expert September 2017
    IrishBride ·

Do both!!!!!

• Bee
    Master April 2017
    Bee ·

I would pick Barcelona. While pretty, Paris was our least favorite vacation. We definitely did not feel welcome by a majority of the people including cops. It's the only vacation we left feeling was too long and wouldn't return. This has been the experience for almost all our friends as well.

• Bellz
    Super July 2017
    Bellz ·

Hi Keisha! I've been to both cities, and although I LOVE Paris, I say stay in Barcelona. You don't have that much time and trying to do both cities or using up time to travel to Paris would be a disservice to both cities. If I were you, I would just stay in Barcelona. While Paris has Notre Dame, Barcelona has La Sagrada Familia. While Paris has the Louvre and other museums, Barcelona has Park Güell, Museu Picasso, and other wonderful museums. While Paris has the opera and ballet, Barcelona has amazing music shows and flamenco (Olé!). Barcelona is also a coastal town, so you get amazing seafood, and you can take some pretty nice strolls by the beach. Best of luck! I hope you have an amazing honeymoon!

• WHO? Mrs. Jones
    VIP December 2016
    WHO? Mrs. Jones ·

Barcelona....bc, BEACH!

• Runawaybride
    VIP May 2017
    Runawaybride ·

This is a soapbox issue for me, so I apologize in advance if I'm sensitive about it:

I lived in Paris for a year. I'm an American and I was studying European law. In my entire time there, only one person was rude to me. I was in a bar trying to order a glass of wine. I was speaking French, but had an accent of course, and he pretended he couldn't understand me until I made my request in English. I was so embarrassed and thought my accent was just so bad that he truly couldn't understand me. But even the Parisian woman I was with pointed out that he was being rude and snarky.

But you know, maybe I was rude first. Not that that makes rudeness OK. But in French culture, it's rude to just ask/demand what you want without a greeting first. You don't just walk up to the bar and say "red wine, please." You say "hello, how are you? I'd like a red wine please." And you do it in French, or the best French you can attempt. People will be patient and kind to you if they see you trying.

This was five years ago, so I honestly don't remember if I would have been the rude first. Again, me being rude, unintentionally, doesn't justify further rudeness. But I'm not going to sit here and blame him, or the French in general, for the encounter, or accuse him of coming after me because I'm American. I had only been there a month, and I'm willing to bet I wasn't blameless.

Wherever you choose to go, I really think you have an obligation to at least learn a few key phrases, as well as some basics about etiquette in that country. No one expects you to be perfect, but you are expected (and I think rightfully so) to make an effort.

Paris is an INCREDIBLE place, and a must-see in your lifetime. I am happy to answer any further questions you may have about it!

• Erin Wood
    Master July 2017
    Erin Wood ·

Paris is amazing!! I've been there a couple times and found the people to be regular city people. Think New York. People aren't overly friendly because it's a bustling city. Definitely try to speak a little bit of French while there. They get annoyed when smug Americans come and assume everyone will speak English. I would be the same way if someone came up to me here and started speaking French to me. I've never been to Barcelona but my step sister lives there and loves it. There is a lot to do and see in both places. I would choose Paris for the art and food!

• bitbit
    Expert September 2017
    bitbit ·

I've been to both and prefer Barcelona by far. I don't understand the Paris hype; it's pretty much exactly like New York but maybe with a little bit more dog shit on the sidewalks.

• Keisha
    Master September 2018
    Keisha ·

Thanks guys! I will look into staying in Barcelona. Maybe we can do Paris for our one year anniversary. If there are shows to see in Barcelona that will be nice for FH as he is big on the theater.

• fallinthegarden
    Master October 2017
    fallinthegarden ·

I've never been to Barcelona, only Madrid, but I have been to Paris. UO, but I felt like Paris was overrated. It was both FH and my least favorite stop on a big trip through Europe last summer. It was the most overcrowded, unfriendly (and I did attempt to speak French to everyone), and dirty city we visited. We saw lots of palaces and museums and cathedrals in other cities, and with the exception of Versailles, the only reason the Paris sights seem extra special is because everyone thinks they're extra special.

I'd do Barcelona, I've heard nothing but great things and it's on the list of cities I'd like to visit.

• Fitz
    Master August 2018
    Fitz ·

I lived in Paris for a year and have traveled to Barcelona. I would choose Barcelona for a honeymoon. It has more of a relaxed, night life atmosphere.

I adore Paris, but there is just too much to rush around and do for a short trip. I never ever thought that people were unfriendly. Learning the basic etiquette/culture of a country goes a long way. If you do some research, you should have absolutely no problems with how you are received.

• Bellz
    Super July 2017
    Bellz ·

Keisha, if you guys were looking to go to a cabaret show in Paris (think Moulin Rouge), El Molino in Barcelona has one that is very good. The show is not in English, so you might miss a couple of jokes here and there, but you will not have any trouble following the show, overall

• Keisha
    Master September 2018
    Keisha ·

@Bellz I was going to take him to the opera or ballet but I think he would be ok with any show. I will look into El Molino in Barcelona for sure. Thanks!

• Keisha
    Master September 2018
    Keisha ·

Thanks @Kate I have heard stories about Paris and it made me second guess my choice. I will remember to keep the late dinner in mind

Comment on this discussion