Fiona
Expert October 2018

Parent gifts!

Fiona, on August 8, 2018 at 2:46 PM Posted in Family and Relationships 0 10
Saved Save
I’d love to hear what you all are getting for the parents as gifts for the wedding! Thanks!

10 Comments

• tanakaseiron
    Dedicated May 2019
    tanakaseiron ·
    • Flag

My uncle makes some lovely home products out of granite, we picket out some sea-inspired trivets and coasters for the MIL, and are getting a glass set for FIL. For my mom (no father), I have no idea! Smiley xd I'm still looking for ideas for her myself. We are also getting both sets of parents a photo album of pictures from the wedding.

• J
    Expert September 2018
    Jody ·
    • Flag
    We are taking them out to dinner the night before and I’ll prob give them each a framed photo after the fact. Honestly I was never aware of parents gifts being a thing until I came to this site. I certainly appreciate them but I don’t see the need to give them a specific gift. If they were paying for the wedding and/or helping plan I would probably do something more, but that’s not the case for us.
  • Fiona
    Expert October 2018
    Fiona ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes, our parents are paying for the wedding so we would like to do something more special. Thanks for your input though!
  • Scruffypine
    Savvy September 2018
    Scruffypine ·
    • Flag

My parents are paying for most of the wedding as well, but honestly they are so hard to buy for regularly, so I think a dinner and a framed family photo for the wedding will work. Cause honestly, anything I buy for them is usually never used and just a special dinner with my FH and them should be sufficient. Also, I am trying not to go overboard with the gifts for anyone in the wedding cause any extra money I have is going towards the wedding.

But otherwise, like people say, just buy for them like it's their birthday.

• FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag

We are writing each of our parents a lovely heartfelt card expressing our thanks and our appreciation (we have 3 sets between us because FH parents divorced and remarried). We also plan to get them all the same gift, but customized so their feelings don't get hurt. Based on their styles, and the decor in their homes we agreed they would all love this sign (or something similar, we havent bought them yet)

family name signParent gifts! 1

We also plan to gift them each a wedding album with pictures in it after the photos come back a few weeks later. Because we would have 6 people to buy for, buying individual gifts was too expensive and it was hard to find gifts within similar price ranges they'd all like. Family is also super important to all of us, so I think they'd appreciate something like this.

• Danielle K
    VIP June 2019
    Danielle K ·
    • Flag

Framed photos after the wedding

• Alyssa
    Super December 2018
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag
    My dad is absolutely my rock and I wanted something sentimental but him. He loves this certain style (bowler hat, vest, button up) so he is getting to wear that for the wedding and I’m buying a pocket watch to go along with it. It will be engraved but I’ve not decided yet what I want it to say. My mom is much more difficult but I am getting her this, I think. Lol

Parent gifts! 2
  • Lisa
    Devoted October 2018
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I bought my parents this and will pick a picture from the wedding for them to put in it.

Parent gifts! 3
  • Kay
    Super November 2018
    Kay ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I also hadn't really heard of this till the site...yes, I would have naturally gotten my Mom something as she is paying for our wedding but I wouldn't have thought of it as this big presentation deal, which we aren't going to do, we will just give her a gift privately before the wedding. We are not giving anything to FHs Mom as she's not contributing the wedding. That's what mothers and fathers day is for, to say thank you for everything you've done as a parent.

• Emilie
    Super April 2019
    Emilie ·
    • Flag
    We are doing shadow boxes for them.. I'm going to put pictures of us when we were babies, and then a wedding picture.. kinda like this one.

Parent gifts! 4

Comment on this discussion