Rachel W.
Master May 2012

NWR: Really Upset

Rachel W., on August 1, 2011 at 6:21 PM Posted in Planning 0 13
Saved Save

So while driving on the highway today, sitting in traffic, I rear-ended someone. And there was minimal damage done - my car had none, hers had scratched paint and needs a new bumper. No one was hurt.

So that's good. We went without using insurance, though, because my insurance is excellent and CHEAP and I didn't want my premium to increase.

So she's already called me and said that the cost estimate was $1185.70! Of course, I told her I would try to find someone cheaper. But I am ready to cry. I can't believe my luck! Now I have to shell out for this. WTF.

13 Comments

• mrs mom
    Super October 2011
    mrs mom ·
    • Flag

You should talk directly to your insurance agent (not just the company) and see if your premiums will actually go up, sometimes one claim won't make a difference. It also might be cheaper to just claim it.

Be careful just paying out money, there are so many scams out there where people literally set you up to rear end them so they can scam money out of you. Also, if you do pay them out have it well documented because they can still file a claim against you.

• Sabrina
    Master November 2014
    Sabrina ·
    • Flag

Um no... absolutely NOT..... call your insurance co and talk to them.. yea it MAY go up, but I would rather pay a little more a month that to get scammed. I would be PISSED at myself, and hell she may be right.. a bumper isnt CHEAP, however...Dont get upset hon, it happens!! Glad you're all safe!

• Michelle
    Devoted November 2011
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

Go thru ur insurance, wether ur premiums go up or not, I doubt its by much, you will pay alot less, no no do not pay that person!! lol

• Rachel W.
    Master May 2012
    Rachel W. ·
    • Flag

I am SUPER pissed at myself. It was definitely me, I was looking in the side view mirror and inched up on her. At least it wasn't any worse.

My insurance is one of those that you have to work at a certain business in order to receive it, and the rates are the best in the state. But maybe you're right. As it is, I pay $1000/year for full coverage (which for NJ is excellent). Maybe I should just bite the bullet instead of having to come out of pocket, especially since we're trying to save!

(SIGH)

(rubbing forehead)

• Ab
    Master October 2011
    Ab ·
    • Flag

Aww I'm glad you are okay! whatever the quote, get it in writing from the dealer or whoever she went to..

• Rachel W.
    Master May 2012
    Rachel W. ·
    • Flag

Haha I wasn't going to pay her, I was going to pay the company directly. But I know, I should call my insurance company tomorrow....

• NJ Bride
    VIP September 2011
    NJ Bride ·
    • Flag

Rachel - also check your coverage. Some have "accident forgiveness". I recently moved from NJ so I feel your pain when it comes to premiums... though you wouldn't believe it... northern VA is MORE expensive! I was horrified!

• Justine
    Master August 2011
    Justine ·
    • Flag

@Sarah, when we moved to Northern VA, our premiums actually went down compared to what they were in the much more rural part of VA we used to live in!

• J
    Master November 2011
    J&R ·
    • Flag

Your contract with your ins co probably requires you to report it, so just keep that in mind. Ask the person you ht if they have looked into using used parts. A brand new bumper doesn't make sense on a not-brand-new car, and new parts are much more expensive.

• Jakita
    Super August 2012
    Jakita ·
    • Flag

You live in NJ you should definitely go through your insurance; jersey has that double fault thing where you and the person you hit are at fault!

what kind of car was the other person driving? it usually makes a difference; i have a dent in my car and due to the color and metal i apparently have to get the ENTIRE car repainted, which would be a little under 1200...

• Stephanie
    VIP October 2012
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag

I am sorry this happened to you. I do have to say I have a newer car and I have been hit 3, yes 3 times, in the past 14 months and even though the damage didn't look too bad it was at least $700 (a scratch) for the least amount of damage and $2400 for the most (cracked bumper) and that wasn't even that bad to the eye. I was fair and got 3 estimates and had the person round off on the one case that they paid for it personally. Hopefully she is honest and will work with you, but you should just call your insurance because they may work with you.

• Meghan
    Master August 2011
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

I'd get the estimate from her from the shop. I had an accident where they charged me for all sorts of damage I didn't even cause. I backed into someone without even having my foot on the accelerator and tehy tried to charge me $2300.... um, NO!

For starters- don't use a dealership for repairs. They are notoriously expensive and use only new parts. If it's just a scratched bumper, they can probably buff it out at a paint and body shop. Or they can put on a use bumper. The bumper on it wasn't new- so why should she get a brand new one?

• Rachel W.
    Master May 2012
    Rachel W. ·
    • Flag

She went to her auto body shop, but my FH said to send her to mine and he won't rip him off. And I will call my insurance company and the PD for the report (the police did show up, so i can get one).

I'll DEFINITELY ask about accident forgiveness, since this is my first accident since I was 22 or so. And I was barely moving when I hit her.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all your help and feedback!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics