Kylene
VIP October 2014

NWR: Real or fake?? With picture!

Kylene, on November 10, 2014 at 4:16 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 84
Saved Save

So, the age-old question ... do you go for a real or a fake Christmas tree?

My family has ALWAYS been a real tree family. It was such a huge tradition every year to go out and pick and tree and decorate it. I think hubby's family did the same thing. However, in my adult life I've never really done a Christmas tree. I've moved between apartments so many times that I never felt "at home" enough to have one. Last year we had just moved into our house so we didn't have the funds to do one ...

But, this year we really want to make sure we have a tree and are planning on putting it up right after Thanksgiving. However, we can't decide on real or fake. We don't really have the time this year to go tree shopping and also are concerned about how our two boxer dogs will do with a real tree in the house ... so we're leaning toward fake. But, that's just not family tradition so we both feel kind of strange about it. We'll see what we end up doing.

How about you? Real? Fake? No tree?

84 Comments

• BrideToBe
    Devoted September 2015
    BrideToBe ·
    • Flag

I think fake! Its easier and less messy!

• Gamecock Mrs.
    Master October 2014
    Gamecock Mrs. ·
    • Flag

Fake all the way. Confession: Our tree is in our storage room with a sheet over it. Fully assembled, and it came with lights.

Our fake one looks way better than the one you posted.

• Victoria
    Devoted June 2015
    Victoria ·
    • Flag

Our family used to do fake and switched to real about 4 years ago. I LOVE having a real tree. There is something so special about going to pick out a tree and putting git up. It makes the house smell like pine! It can definitely get messier with the pines.... but it is worth it to me!

• Monica SC
    Master October 2015
    Monica SC ·
    • Flag

We fake it! I have allergies, we have cats, and our fake tree is gorgeous and rotates to show off all my bazillion ornaments (some I made in 1st grade). Smiley laugh

• Future Mrs. Wilson
    Expert March 2015
    Future Mrs. Wilson ·
    • Flag

We've both always been real tree people/families but last year we broke down and bought a fake Smiley sad With FH's allergies and the fact that in Arizona trees dry up and die so fast, we figured fake was the best way to go. It's cute, but it really puts a damper on the holiday for me as part of the tradition was going to get a tree!! I may just have to make the effort to go with my parents this year when they get one, if they decide to get a real one. I know that when we're in MI for turkey day we'll go with FH's parents to pick out a tree, so that will be fun Smiley smile

• Soon To Be Mrs. Musser
    VIP June 2015
    Soon To Be Mrs. Musser ·
    • Flag

My Parents are divorced and my Mom always had a fake tree and my Dad always had a real tree growing up. We are doing a fake tree since we will be out of town a lot in December.

• AndixLyn
    Master June 2015
    AndixLyn ·
    • Flag

We have a fake tree, i buy the bag of scented pinecones and throw it inside. they have candles and home sprays for pine. i hate the pine smell.

• Shauna
    VIP May 2015
    Shauna ·
    • Flag

Ohhh @Monica. I would love a tree that rotates! I have so many ornaments and I feel bad putting some towards the back that can not be seen. We have a fake tree. It would be nice to have a real one again someday.

• Kimberly
    Super September 2014
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag

So happy to do a real tree this year. Growing up dad was allergic so if mom couldn't find a specific kind we had to have fake. I tried real for a couple years in an apartment but had a hard time managing it on my own. DH always does a real tree for his son and I can't wait to have that smell through out our house!

• FinallyMrsSloan
    VIP April 2015
    FinallyMrsSloan ·
    • Flag

I have never had a real tree. A fake one just seems easier. Especially one that is pre lit.

• Shelby H.
    VIP October 2014
    Shelby H. ·
    • Flag

We have done real three years in a row now. It's cute because we go to the same little farmer that drives down from Pittsburgh and get our tree from him. I love the way it makes our home smell but we're fairly eco-friendly. We heard about a company that lets your rent real trees so we may try that this year.

• Kylene
    VIP October 2014
    Kylene ·
    • Flag

@Shauna, we have so FEW ornaments that they are all going to be on the front and we'll have to tuck it in the corner so you can't see half the tree so we don't have to put ornaments on that part! Ha! I'm sure someday we'll build up a big enough inventory but this year is going to be pretty bare!

• Theresa Beale
    Master November 2014
    Theresa Beale ·
    • Flag

Growing up we had a real tree but when it has been up to me I go fake. I hate having to water the tree and sweep up needles. FH and I just had a small tree the first 2 years but after our cat passed away we got rid of some stuff and now we have space for a tree. We are actually using the tree as part of our wedding decor and I am excited to see how it all comes together.

• Gamecock Mrs.
    Master October 2014
    Gamecock Mrs. ·
    • Flag

Get some filler ornaments. A 12 pack of ball ornaments. - about $4. Get some in your color scheme. If you aren't my crazy mother (now me), that probably just means red, green, silver, or gold.

• FuturemrsDickinson
    VIP July 2015
    FuturemrsDickinson ·
    • Flag

When I was little my family did real, Then we switched to fake ones. Now that I've gotten my own home FH and I started the tradition of cutting down a real one every year. We also use the opportunity to get pro pics taken for Xmas cards. It works out well for us....until I forget to water it for three weeks Smiley sad

• FinallyMrsSloan
    VIP April 2015
    FinallyMrsSloan ·
    • Flag

Last year after the day after Christmas I went shopping and got lots of ornaments for really cheap. You could always do that to build up your ornaments for next year.

• Samantha
    Master May 2013
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

We get a real one. I would be 100% fine with fake, but H insists that we have to go and cut down our own. It's such a pain in the ass. Especially since we live on the third floor of our condo.

• Genny
    Master May 2015
    Genny ·
    • Flag

We have a fake tree and both of our families had fake trees growing up. We may not have the tradition of going to pick out a tree every year, but we make it special because the day after thanksgiving, we make some hot chocolate, put on Christmas music, and start putting together our tree and decorating it. Then we decorate the rest of the house. I'm not sure how's it going to work this year since FH will have to work on Friday.

• RH
    Master November 2014
    RH ·
    • Flag

Real! Love going to get the tree & I love the pine smell. Hate how expensive they are though, and picking up those pesky needles... Can't wait to get ours though when we get back from the honeymoon Smiley smile

• Shauna
    VIP May 2015
    Shauna ·
    • Flag

@Kylene I am ridiculous when it comes to ornaments. I buy so many new ones a year. This year I am sort of obsessed with owls and had to buy some really cute owl ornaments.

Thanks being said I just found a rotating Christmas tree stand on Amazon I am going to buy! (I love amazone!!)

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics