We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Aussie Bride
Master February 2010

NWR - Nook or Kindle

Aussie Bride, on December 27, 2010 at 10:04 PM Posted in Planning 0 21
Saved Save

Okay ladies I need help here. My hubby plans on getting me an ereader for my birthday which is a couple months away but I was thinking of getting a nook and he told me tonight he was thinking the kindle. I know I want a colour one but which one do you ladies think is better ive looked online but reviews are all 50/50

21 Comments

• ~FabulousBride~
    Master November 2011
    ~FabulousBride~ ·
    • Flag

I have a Kindle and I LOVE it. I'm not sure they ccome in color thought. Maybe the new ones do?

• Justine
    Master August 2011
    Justine ·
    • Flag

The Kindle doesn't come in color. Honestly I wouldn't pick a color one though. One of the best things about an ebook reader is eink, which doesn't strain your eyes like a backlit color screen does. I picked the nook over the kindle because it gives you the ability to check books out from the library, which was a major plus for me.

• Kathy
    Master July 2010
    Kathy ·
    • Flag

Bottom line, check to see where you can download books from. Some only allow you to purchase books from them, from what I understand.

• TriSARAtops
    VIP June 2011
    TriSARAtops ·
    • Flag

I just got a nook for Christmas and have not had any troubles finding content for it. However, if you are planning on downloading books from other places than Amazon (like Google eBooks), the Kindle is not always compatible. Sharon seems to be the resident nook-goddess, though, if you have more questions!

• LutaWolf
    Master March 2011
    LutaWolf ·
    • Flag

I checked into them all but my biggest thing was being able to get books from different places because I have gift cards every where. The kindel only allows you to buy from Amazon. Where the Nook I can buy from any where.

• Miya
    Master December 2011
    Miya ·
    • Flag

I would vote for the Nook (color). *two thumbs up*

• Mrs. Conway
    VIP May 2010
    Mrs. Conway ·
    • Flag

Kindle! =] We boght my mom one for christmas and the screen is so amazing! Its a liquid crystal and it doesn't glare. It is by far the most amazing one! (To me anyways) Target is selling the kindle now too so you can buy accesories etc from target =]]

• soontobemrspanag
    Expert July 2011
    soontobemrspanag ·
    • Flag

I just got a Kindle for Christmas & love it. It doesn't have a backlight so the screen doesn't tire out your eyes and doesn't glare if you read in the sun. I've heard the Nook is awful to read in the sun. I have been doing some research and it seems there are many places to buy books from and there is a software (free install, I think) that will format many books for the Kindle. The only place you definitely can't buy books from is BN and vice versa.

HTH!

• soontobemrspanag
    Expert July 2011
    soontobemrspanag ·
    • Flag

Ps-Kindle does not come in color.

• LutaWolf
    Master March 2011
    LutaWolf ·
    • Flag

Http://news.cnet.com/kindle-vs-nook-vs-ipad-which-e-book-reader-should-you-buy

This is a link I looked at and it helped me decided which one was best for me. Good Luck!!

• Zebra_Print_Bride™
    Super February 2015
    Zebra_Print_Bride™ ·
    • Flag

I got the nook for christmas from my mother but had to take it back twice because it kept freezing and wasnt charging right and wouldnt let me set up my account either. I liked how it looked though lol

• Nicci
    Master July 2010
    Nicci ·
    • Flag

I got a Kindle for Christmas and I love love love love it. I don't mind buying from Amazon though since I do a majority of shopping with them anyways. Good luck!

• Aussie Bride
    Master February 2010
    Aussie Bride ·
    • Flag

Thanks Everyone

Luta I started reading it and I think ill be going with the nook thank you for the link (hoping to finish reading when the lil man will let me)

• randi
    Super September 2011
    randi ·
    • Flag

Other than my beautiful engagement ring for christmas, I got a kindle and I LOVE IT!!!! It is great and the images its pulls up on the charging screen is awesome. I do like the nook, i orginally wanted a nook but honestly, I cant fit another book on any of my bookshelves so i cant really complain. I love my Kindle.. it gets the job doneSmiley smile

• Matt Potvin
    May 2020
    Matt Potvin ·
    • Flag

I'm a Kindle user myself, and I love it! I was never a big reader, but it makes it so easy to bring with you, and get a book on a whim.

Got a Nook for a relative as an Xmas gift. The Q, A, and left Shift keys on the multi-touch screen didn't function. Called support on xmas day, waited an hour. Had to pre-pay for the replacement device, or wait 2-3 weeks for them to look at my existing Nook. So they said that they send out a prepaid label and send a new unit. Next day still no label, called again another hour wait, no record of call. We'll send a label and ship a new unit. Next day, still no label! Call in, another hour to speak to someone, "We're having email issues, take it to a store and have them swap it out." Drive to the store yesterday, "Not sure why they told you that, we can't handle warranty returns." Went back to Overstock and they immediately sent out a label and new unit. Moral of the story, if you get a Nook, you better hope you don't have a warranty claim!

• Sharon
    Master June 2010
    Sharon ·
    • Flag

Matt - I have had my nook for over a year and they have always been great with customer service/issues. I honestly think that everyone in the world got the Nook color this Christmas because the B&N website was overloaded and kept crashing over the weekend. I think it's a case of they didn't realize just how much demand they would have.

By the way, I'm not going to buy the color version, I prefer my black and white e-ink Nook, it's much easier to read.

• Nicole
    Dedicated April 2011
    Nicole ·
    • Flag

I got FH a Kindle for his birthday this year, and he loves it!

• The Mrs. B
    VIP October 2011
    The Mrs. B ·
    • Flag

I loooooooove my nook! I have the exact same one as Sharon. Was going to go with the color, but after talking to her decided that I wanted the 3G wifi instead.

• June
    Expert March 2011
    June ·
    • Flag

I love and have a K but I've heard good things about the N too. You're on the right track, read the reviews and decide which one is best for YOU. Good luck, I love ereading!

• Jass
    Master September 2012
    Jass ·
    • Flag

We have two kindles, I have the 2nd version, and FS has the newest version (it was his Xmas gift from me). And we both really love it. There's a way to transform PDF files into Kindle format, so you are not limited to just amazon.com. I also like that it doesn't seem like you are reading from a computer, it's pretty easy on the eyes, and just the way it feels in your hands it's very nice. And I heard soon you will be able to share books for 14 days, can't wait for that. Smiley smile

Comment on this discussion