Lori
Super June 2015

NWR - Just want opinions on a work related question :)

Lori, on May 1, 2013 at 7:49 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 12
Saved Save

So a position one-up from my position has opened up recently. I applied, and had my first interview today. We didn't discuss hourly wages, but I know that discussion will come in the second interview.

So, I make $10 per hour. I talked to the person who recently got promoted (leaving the open position) and asked him for an idea of how much that position pays. Come to find out he told me straight up he makes $10.55 per hour, only .55 cents more per hour than I do!

Originally I thought that the position would be more like $15 per hour. It is a ton more responsibility and managerial duties than what I do right now, so I just have a hard time believing the pay could be so low! Either way, I would still like to get into this position because it's a great stepping stone within the company, but I still would like to ask for a bit more money.

So my question is: What seems reasonable for me to ask? I kind of want to ask for $12, because that would be a nice pay increase for me....

Cont.

12 Comments

• Over the Top♥
    Master June 2013
    Over the Top♥ ·
    • Flag

I wouldn't ask for much more or much less than what you want. $12 sounds like a fair increase.

• Lori
    Super June 2015
    Lori ·
    • Flag

And it would help me out financially. I was thinking that the lowest I'd like to accept would be $11.25, which would still only make me about a hundred extra dollars a paycheck (which still isn't bad).

Does anyone think I'm being unreasonable with asking for that pay? I do have a lot of experience for that position. What is the minimum you would accept if you were in my shoes? Would you high-ball them at first and let it get talked down? I'm just not sure how that works lol.

Any advice would be appreciated Smiley smile

• Amanda
    Devoted March 2014
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

I think you should ask the worst they can say is no

• vicky
    VIP May 2014
    vicky ·
    • Flag

Now is the time to negotiate, not later. I don't think $12 is too high. If you never spoke to the last employee you would've asked $15 so really this is now based on your relative knowledge. If you really see a big difference in the amount of work then $0.55/hr is not worth it. If they can't go above that then maybe you can get extra vacation days or something. If you show your are willing to be a team player & take some advantages over others then I don't see the harm.

• Future Mrs. M
    Expert November 2013
    Future Mrs. M ·
    • Flag

Ask for what you want and what you believe you are worth. The worst thing they can say is no Smiley smile

• Lori
    Super June 2015
    Lori ·
    • Flag

@ viki s. - Yes it is a ton more work! and you're totally right, it would have to be now not later lol. Yeah I'll definitely keep that in mind about the extra vacation days or something.

• Ms. M
    VIP December 2012
    Ms. M ·
    • Flag

Definitely ask for more. For all you know, he made less than you before he was promoted and therefore received more than a $0.55 raise. I used to see that all the time when I worked in retail.

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·
    • Flag

Pay is based on so many factors. If you want (and think e job should pay $12), I'd ask for more like $13. The worst they can say is no, and you still have more room for negotiations.

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·
    • Flag

Ps don't be afraid to negotiate. Women are often too afraid to (myself included), but most men would never think twice about doing it.

• Lori
    Super June 2015
    Lori ·
    • Flag

Thanks! I'll try not to be afraid lol. I know what my work is worth and I feel that the responsibilities of that job are worth quite a bit Smiley smile

• Lori
    Super June 2015
    Lori ·
    • Flag

Any thoughts on the lowest I should accept?

• Angie B
    VIP August 2012
    Angie B ·
    • Flag

Is there a way you can compare like jobs in the area or even the state average for what your job pays. Many factors to consider when asking for a raise if you have good attendance and are a team player those are things to be considered, Sometimes if you can prove yourself the boss may see you as worthy to get more that the last guy. Hard to say what the lowest is to accept it all depends on what the job details include and if you really want the promotion.

Comment on this discussion