Janeen
Master January 2015

NWR--Hobbies you do together

Janeen, on September 29, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Posted in Community Conversations 39

I had a few hobbies I did on my own that my FH has picked up to do with me, and vice versa. I've been doing obstacle course races/mud runs for 4 years and my FH decided to do them with me starting this year. We travel around the country doing them. It certainly makes me a lot happier to have someone...

I had a few hobbies I did on my own that my FH has picked up to do with me, and vice versa. I've been doing obstacle course races/mud runs for 4 years and my FH decided to do them with me starting this year. We travel around the country doing them. It certainly makes me a lot happier to have someone to talk to out there as I trudge along. We also travel around to various vineyards together. I'm *trying* to pick up more outdoorsy habits since that was one of his things, but it's a trying process.

What have you picked up from your soon-to-be spouse, vice versa, and what have you picked up together?

39 Comments

• GrayCatVintage
    Master October 2015
    GrayCatVintage ·
    • Flag

FH and I hike together and we also geocache. I will also play video games with him every once in a while. I like crafting and gardening - neither of which FH is into at all. I also like photography and FH has gotten more into that with me than I ever thought he would. We cook together frequently. Usually when he plays video games with friends I will go shopping or work on my online store. I think we have a good balance of stuff we do together and stuff we do separately.

• Genny
    Master May 2015
    Genny ·
    • Flag

@Janeen We play different things together. We play WoW off and on. He's playing the PTR but I probably won't pick it up again until the xpac. We're playing borderlands 2 and Diablo 3 at the moment. He plays Rome II but likes playing that by himself.

@Angie and ShauniQ- I cancel my sub on off. I got out of it and hate paying for it if I'm not playing. FH basically keeps his sub all the time. I need to pre-order Warlords soon.

• SunshineJenn
    Master August 2014
    SunshineJenn ·
    • Flag

I used to play online video games on the Xbox, he got that from me. Now I'm too busy to play, which works out fine because we're not competing for console.

He home-brews; I run a blog. We started bowling in a league together.

• A
    VIP March 2015
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

We like to camp and hike together. FH likes FPS like COD and Halo, and I'll play COD with him if the mood strikes. Right now our biggest "hobby" to do together is working on arranging and decorating our new house, haha.

• M
    Super July 2015
    Mrs. ·
    • Flag

We both have jeeps! So we love going out and finding some mud to play in!

We also did the 5k Color Me Rad this summer which was sooo much fun!

• M
    Master May 2014
    MizizAngi ·
    • Flag

Beer snobbery. We met as novices, visited a brewery together early in to the relationship, and have become full fledged snobs since. The highlight was when we visited Boston in 2013 and got to tour the Sam Adams Brewery!

• Kathryn
    Master September 2015
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag

We play computer games together. When FI and I first started dating he was stationed 8 hours away for the Army so we would play game together. We played WoW for 4-5 years together, we would raid 4 nights a week. Now we play League of Legends together with all our online friends we met...haha

We watch a lot of Netflix too and hang out with our doggie. Also work out together, he bought a half rack and we lift weights in our garage or will do Jillian Michael's dvd or run with the doggie.

• BabyDeer9
    Expert April 2015
    BabyDeer9 ·
    • Flag

We both were gamers before meeting. We both played console and PC games. He got me into playing LOL (league of legends). I got him into playing survival horror games. We both play RPGs. We started playing Final Fantasy Realm Reborn and RIFT a while ago. Oh, and we now watch Anime together. Smiley smile

• Genny
    Master May 2015
    Genny ·
    • Flag

@Kathryn: We really started playing online games like WoW and stuff when we both went off to college. Obviously I got to see him more than if he were in the Army, but It was a 3 hr drive so to hang out we would do dungeons and raids together.

• KTizzle
    Master June 2015
    KTizzle ·
    • Flag

Once I started dating FH, I found out I REALLY like watching professional ice hockey! Baseball too, but not as much as hockey. I also found out that I'm weirdly into WWE "wrestling." I don't care that it's fake. It's still entertaining, for the most part.

Not sure what he's picked up from me, since all I really do is study.

• Snarky
    Master September 2014
    Snarky ·
    • Flag

Fishing, hiking, and video games, but unfortunately have not had time to do any of those lately. Our "hobby" for the past year was planning our wedding and our "hobby" this year is working on our new house. Ugh.

• Z
    Master May 2012
    Zoe ·
    • Flag

DH and I run together. That is to say, we drive to the same place, kiss each other goodbye, then he takes off at a 7:45 minute/mile and I got at a 10 minute mile. Then he waits around for a looong time at the finish line, cause we run marathons, then we drive home together. Still, we speak the same 'running language'. Smiley sexy

• Cutesybuttons
    Dedicated October 2014
    Cutesybuttons ·
    • Flag

FH and I play a lot of board games together. We have a few friends that meet up once every couple months to have a game night. We got to know each other originally since it was a mutual friend that had these game nights Smiley smile

As far as what he has picked up from me is a little bit of food snobbery. I love to go out and try new places. He was a pizza and burgers kind of guy. Now he can eat at exotic places with the best of them! well sort of...

As far as what I picked up from his sports! I have become a fan of all his teams (as long as he roots for my college teams) and we try to go a few football and ice hockey games a year! He keeps telling me he needs to teach me how to garden and camp...but I'm still resisting those....

• Kim
    Master June 2014
    Kim ·
    • Flag

We're really into camping. We do an annual trip every October and it is smack dead in the middle of nowhere. We go snowboarding, too. We didn't really do it so much last year becuase lift tickets are pretty expensive (not to mention the gas it takes to get to the mountains when we live in Baltimore City). But that is how he proposed (on the mountain). We also used to kayak but he had close call and almost drowned on some serious rapids when he went with his buddies. He got washed up somehwere near the woods and had to walk miles in the dark until he found someone. So I'm scared of that now lol. Oh and we play in a fantasy football league together.

• Kylene
    VIP October 2014
    Kylene ·
    • Flag

We cook together Smiley smile I lived in Thailand and learn how to cook authentic Thai food. He came to visit me and we went to a cooking class. After that there was no turning back. We now cook Thai food all the time, are constantly learning new recipes, and host cooking classes and plated dinner parties at home on a regular basis. We love it!

• Monica SC
    Master October 2015
    Monica SC ·
    • Flag

Camping, I had never done this before and now we plan a big trip every year the last week of October. I just bought us a new tent today!

TV....we have certain shows we only watch together even if it's on Netflix. The Walking Dead is one we never miss and now the Blacklist. Otherwise we don't watch much TV, but we do watch movies on the weekend.

Shooting. My fiancé is a gunsmith and big into reloading. He loves his custom AR15s. He bought me a pistol last year and taught me to shoot. So now we shoot together.

• B
    Master December 2015
    BunnyLove ·
    • Flag

Gardening and anything athletic.

• Elle
    Master March 2015
    Elle ·
    • Flag

We do costuming together. He helps me with mine and i help him with his. Is drinking wine and complaining like gal pals a hobby? Cause if so he's picked that one up from me. Lol!

• Janeen
    Master January 2015
    Janeen ·
    • Flag

OMG Kylene, pls 2 be teaching me how to cook thai!

I also enjoy board games! @Elle, what kind of costumes?

@Monica--my FH is an NCAA rifle team member. He took me shooting and it scared the hell out of me. :-\

Comment on this discussion