NatHam
VIP October 2017

NWR: grey hair

NatHam, on March 3, 2017 at 12:36 AM

Posted in Wedding Attire 61

I am almost 26 and I have grey hair. I started noticing grey hair when I was in high school when someone pointed it out. It's embarrassing and I hate it. I notice it more and more and have to color my hair more often. It's a genetic thing since my dad had grey hair at a very young age. Any body else...

I am almost 26 and I have grey hair. I started noticing grey hair when I was in high school when someone pointed it out. It's embarrassing and I hate it. I notice it more and more and have to color my hair more often. It's a genetic thing since my dad had grey hair at a very young age. Any body else have this issue or other insecurities? I literally tell no one about this because that's how embarrassed I am.

61 Comments

• ColorMeBlu
    Super May 2018
    ColorMeBlu ·
    • Flag

Nothing to be embarrassed about! Theirs teens that pay to dye their hair gray these days!

• Nicole2017
    Master August 2017
    Nicole2017 ·
    • Flag

Don't be embarrassed! I started getting grays in my dark brown hair in college, by 23 ppl were pointing it out to me. It is what it is, I color my hair when I can and if I can't it's not a big deal to me. I'm saving money so I'm waiting to color my hair again until the summer so the grays are out in full force!

• SoonToBeASlabaugh
    Devoted October 2017
    SoonToBeASlabaugh ·
    • Flag

Friend, I feel you. My grandma started going grey at 30, my mom started going grey at 28...I'm 24 and I've got a nice grey streak going in the front. FH says it makes me look like Rouge from X-Men. Normally I dye my hair but we're saving for the wedding so I'm letting the streak shine.

My biggest insecurity though is actually my nose. It's huge and you could ski down it and get a really decent jump. Smiley sad

• MrsSki
    Master April 2017
    MrsSki ·
    • Flag

It's just gray hair - at least it's still on your head! I like to say that I earned every last one of them.

I have a few strands that are super shiny and right in the front. Most of the time I don't care, but I cover them with light brown waterproof eyeliner on days that it gets to me. It stays on for a few hours, so it works for special events

• Laura
    Master July 2017
    Laura ·
    • Flag

Yep I started getting greys in college! My mom and sister got them at a young age too. I'm 31 and dye my roots every 4 weeks to hide them.

• NatHam
    VIP October 2017
    NatHam ·
    • Flag

@Margaret, unicorn hairs! lol that makes me laugh.

@colormeblu, yeah that is very true! I have a friend that colored her hair grey.. so weird.

@Soontobeaslabaugh, its not funny, but I have a huge "ski jump" nose too. I am pretty Italian and it super does run in my family. Every. Single. one. of my family members have a huge nose. I hate taking certain pictures because it is so prominent. At least with grey hair I can hide that. I feel you. Smiley sad

• Melissa
    Devoted April 2017
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

No reason to be embarrassed!!! Here's the thing nearly every woman colors their hair whether or not they have to or just want to... it is a very common problem. I've had grey hair as long as I can remember... found my first in high school, but you would never know it because I stay on a coloring schedule like most women:-)... I envy those that don't have to and wonder why they choose to but it's the old theory... you want what you don't have. So..... no worries...

• Kmess
    Master October 2015
    Kmess ·
    • Flag

I know it's different for men, but let's remember that George Clooney grayed very young and looked foxy as hell. I think it can be that way for women as long as we're brave and strong about it!

• svg
    Expert October 2017
    svg ·
    • Flag

For anyone not wanting to pay to get their hair done professionally to cover the grays every 4-6 weeks: go professional when you can afford it and want a treat and use Clairol Root Touch up ONLY ON YOUR ROOTS in between appointments. Do not dye your entire head (read: the mid strands and ends) with box dye. Ever. If you don't, you'll be fine. I'm a former stylist and gave this advice to my clients on a budget. The root touch up stuff is fine in a pinch / in between IMO. I've never had issues with it.

• AD2AP
    VIP June 2018
    AD2AP ·
    • Flag

Don't worry to much about it... Just dye it:-)

• FMP
    VIP October 2017
    FMP ·
    • Flag

I just found my first grey hair last week. I'm 27 years old. My FH on the other hand has had grey hair since I met him at 20 years old.

• xray12280
    Master June 2017
    xray12280 ·
    • Flag

@cutenickname I've been using the box stuff for 15 years and never had a problem. What kind of stories has she told you?

• MrsDrum
    Master June 2017
    MrsDrum ·
    • Flag

I have tons of gray and it started in my early 20s. It's the main reason I went blonde! I'm a natural brunette and it was very obvious. With my hair being blonde the gray is still noticeable right in the front but it's not as obvious and I don't have to color it often. Have you tried getting highlights put in the areas with the most gray to disguise them a little?

• NatHam
    VIP October 2017
    NatHam ·
    • Flag

@junebride, I have tried highlights, but they tend to be more upkeep than just coloring it and keeping up with the roots. Plus I am not much one for highlights! But recently I actually have been really trying again.

@mrsfallbride- do it! Smiley smile my grey isn't that pretty or I wouldn't mind

• Jamie
    Expert April 2017
    Jamie ·
    • Flag

I started going grey at 22. Now at 32, most new hair coming in is grey. I dye it often even though my FH likes the grey.

• Krystle
    Devoted September 2017
    Krystle ·
    • Flag

My fiancé went grey at 25 and he is 33 now and it's greyer than ever and I love it! Sooo sexy! Rather that than bald. He's a man though. May be different for females .

• Heaven
    Devoted July 2017
    Heaven ·
    • Flag

Found my first grey at 21 and thought I was going to combust so don't worry. You aren't alone lol

• Klynn
    Devoted August 2017
    Klynn ·
    • Flag

I've been going grey since I was 14. Lucky for me, I'm a natural blonde so a few highlights do the truck.

Plus, luck for us, grey is super in right now!

• Brenda
    Super May 2017
    Brenda ·
    • Flag

I have had grey hair since high school. My mother says it is silver because is distinguishing.

• AshMar
    Master April 2017
    AshMar ·
    • Flag

FH's cousin is 18 and has gray hair

Comment on this discussion