Alexis
Super September 2009

NWR and kind of pathetic....

Alexis, on November 4, 2009 at 4:45 PM Posted in Planning 0 18
Saved Save

I have absolutely no friends!! We have my husband's friends and their wives, which have become my friends, but I need friends outside of him. I lost 2 best friends during the wedding process bc they turned out to not be as good of friends as I thought they were (long story). I live in a small town where everyone hangs out with their HS friends but I never had a "group" I hung with and those that I did hang with now live far away. Especially now that my son is living with his dad 50% of the time I have time on my hands but nobody to do anything with! How the heck do I meet people??? My hobbies are things like scrapbooking and reading and gardening and there aren't any special interest groups around here for those things. We just watched "I love you Man" last night and I could totally relate!! Totally pathetic....

18 Comments

• The Potters
    Master September 2009
    The Potters ·
    • Flag

Our dresses are so similar!! :o) Anyway, I know how that is. When you're in school you meet people all the time. But once you're grown up it is hard to meet friends. Even when you work and meet people you like, it is hard to actually be friends outside of work too. Sorry I'm not much of a help. But I definitely know how that goes, you're not the only one! :o)

• Konichiwa
    Master January 2010
    Konichiwa ·
    • Flag

I have several good friends but we all have kids and husbands and work and lives so we don't get together as often as I'd like. =( It's tough being grown up! ha ha!

The only thing I can suggest is to reach out to some people that you see (like at work or church). Maybe see if your Hubbys friends wives might be interested in getting together for a night of scrapbooking and wine. Just maybe an idea.

• Nathalie
    Dedicated August 2011
    Nathalie ·
    • Flag

You can join cafemom.com. Its a great group of women. Maybe you can find a group in your area or try meetup.com?

• Traci&Bob
    Master February 2010
    Traci&Bob ·
    • Flag

I agree with Konichiwa, see if any of those wives have same interests as you, maybe they don't but who knows, maybe they would be interested in scrapbooking and you can start of by asking any of them if they have read "insert book of your choice' and tell them how great it was and maybe they would want to read it and before you know it, a book club has started Smiley smile

• kt
    Dedicated November 2009
    kt ·
    • Flag

What about people in your neighborhood? Or what about doing volunteer work or something? You might be able to meet people that way.. good luck! I know how it is... I moved here for my FH and had to start from scratch..

• Comeaux824
    Savvy July 2010
    Comeaux824 ·
    • Flag

I love to scrapbook too!! A friends and I try to have a scrapbook party. I only have one friend that is into scrapbooking so we put a invitation at the library and a few other spots in our town and we had a 10 people show up the first time. Then we all decided to meet every month and now we have about 25 people that show up we go from house to house or back to the library. I have meet many people from that. Maybe try something like that! Or even game night!!!

• Alexis
    Super September 2009
    Alexis ·
    • Flag

The husbands friends wives are great, and I consider them my friends completey it's just not the same - everything we share, we share with our husbands, who in turn share with each other lol. I'm going to start to volunteer at the women's Domestic Violence shelter but probably not the right type of women to befriend right away since I'll be helping them. Maybe I'll look into taking some night classes or something? I'll checkout those websites Natalie, thank you! Mrs. Potter - I went and checked out your pics as soon as I saw your profile pic posted bc I had a hard time finding my dress!!

• Shell
    Master June 2009
    Shell ·
    • Flag

I am so there with you! my closest friends in high school turned out to be not so great people, and my other close friends live far from me. i have aquantiances (sp?) but we dont share the same morals and values so its hard to hang out with them and make them close friends....

why is it so hard to met people and become friends after the age of 20?

• Konichiwa
    Master January 2010
    Konichiwa ·
    • Flag

Oooh! Game night is a good idea! It might sound cheesy but it's really fun! There are tons of games for adults that are really fun to play! I have a game called Moods that is soooo funny everyone always can't stop laughing!

• Alexis
    Super September 2009
    Alexis ·
    • Flag

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!! The girls I'm aquantinces with like to hang out at the bar all the time, totally not my thing anymore!

• The Potters
    Master September 2009
    The Potters ·
    • Flag

Well your dress is very beautiful. I LOVE IT!! Where are you from? Has anyone else on here met anyone after the age of 20 and became extremely close to them? Or is this something that really only happens at a younger age? I have 2 best friends still from middle school. And I've met other friends a long the way, but nobody that will ever be like them.

• Shell
    Master June 2009
    Shell ·
    • Flag

You would thing, being involved in church as much as i am id be able to meet more girls that way, but its just hard, maybe im too shy? i didnt used to be... and all the girls i meet or could hang out with already seem so into there own little group of friends, and it feels like id almost be budding into their clique

• Alexis
    Super September 2009
    Alexis ·
    • Flag

Shell - same way..everyone already has their clique of friends and their protective over those. I'm from a small town in northern california (the REAL norcal north of sac town). Most of my friendships started past 20 but none lasted long due to everyone moving away. Love your dress too Mrs. Potter Smiley smile I like that scrapbooking idea and book club idea. I'll post some flyers (probably end up with 80 year old women at my house lol) but it'll be fun. Has anyone seen "I love you man?"

• Shell
    Master June 2009
    Shell ·
    • Flag

Yes i saw i love you man, as funy as it was it made me sad as i felt in the same situation. maybe we should just meet people at open houses lol it worked for them!

• The Potters
    Master September 2009
    The Potters ·
    • Flag

Ok I need to rent this movie, never got a chance to see it at the theater

• watika sears
    April 2020
    watika sears ·
    • Flag

You can go to www.meetup.com for different groups in your area, like book clubs, women groups etc... hope you find something.

• Amy
    Super June 2010
    Amy ·
    • Flag

Alexis we can be pin pals if u want i know how u feel trust me i have one friend but she is married and has a kid so i dont get to see her alot and i have my lil sister and her bf but its not the same send me a message some time and we can talk r if u have facebook r something let me know you can be my pin pal lol all i really do is hang out with fh

• M
    Devoted May 2010
    Marcy G ·
    • Flag

Take some classes at a college. You'll better yourself and meet people at the same time.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics