cheryl
Savvy December 2012

Not a young bride--what to wear???

cheryl, on October 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 34
Saved Save

We are both older and looking forward to our retirement years together. We planning a simple wedding in our home, but still wanting a class act. I can't figure out what to wear. Suggestions as to where to Look?? I'm stumped.

34 Comments

• MyLove&HisMrs.
    VIP November 2014
    MyLove&HisMrs. ·
    • Flag

Not sure how old you are (I'm 46 and a first time bride) as an older bride, I understand your concern. In my opinion, being an older bride is very difficult, as designer do not really design with us in mind. Here are a few dresses I have looked at. Feel free to use them as a guideline.

• MyLove&HisMrs.
    VIP November 2014
    MyLove&HisMrs. ·
    • Flag

Here are more:

• Terri
    VIP August 2013
    Terri ·
    • Flag

I am 49 and struggled with this issue as well. I looked at hundreds of dresses in all sorts of shops and online...from very dressy more business looking dresses and skirts / tops to actual wedding dresses. Then one day I saw a wedding dress (off white) and it was fairly simple and I fell in love with it. I felt like the bigger "poofy" dresses were more for younger brides, and I just didn't feel comfortable in a "big" dress at my age...so this is the one I chose...

• cheryl
    Savvy December 2012
    cheryl ·
    • Flag

You guys are still way fancier than me...I'm looking for a nice regular dress--street length--that doesn't look like either the office or the bar...for a Christmas wedding...I was going green until a friend told me a superstition about green and weddings...am still considering green, but...funny how fast ideas can get ruined...have even shopped under 'mother of the bride'...your dresses are beautiful, btw

• crwhite
    Savvy February 2013
    crwhite ·
    • Flag

Im not an older bride, but my thoughts are this...wear what you like if it flatters your figure. I know some people have a perception of what you "should" wear based on age, but people always have their perceptions. People think there are things i should not wear being plus sized. However because i know the question you asked was about what dresses would work for something considered more mature, i love the third one in the first post and the one submitted by Terri.

Whats fnny is i have seen younger brides in dresses that i considered too mature, but i've never seen the opposite

• Mrs.V-Finally
    Super August 2013
  • Spicydeene
    VIP October 2012
    Spicydeene ·
    • Flag

Time is ticking! You don't have time to order a typical bridal dress unless you rush the order or buy something right off the rack.

All of the department stores are showcasing their holiday dresses now. Check out all of them - you may find something there.

• Marilyn
    VIP January 2013
    Marilyn ·
    • Flag

I say whatever you want! No matter how old you are, it is still your wedding, your special day!

• MJ
    Master June 2013
    MJ ·
    • Flag

I know michele ordered hers at davids bridal online clearance outlet. Tea length lovely white dress.

• Michele, my Belle
    Super December 2012
    Michele, my Belle ·
    • Flag

I'm 50, we are having a small church ceremony followed by a reception at our home. This is my dress and shoes. I think I am the Michele MJ referred to above. My dress is ivory, the shoes are a muted gold. Our wedding is Dec 15th, and the colors are ivory, muted (old) gold and red. My bouquet is silk ivory hydrangeas with real red roses with gold accents.

• Nancy Taussig
    January 2020
    Nancy Taussig ·
    • Flag

Check Macy's and Dillards' holiday dresses.

What was the superstition about green? I've heard race car drivers don't like green cars, but never heard anything about dresses!

• MJ
    Master June 2013
    MJ ·
    • Flag

It is an Irish superstition. No green for the bride in an Irish wedding.

I wont drive a green car either. My family always laughs when they see a win this car and it is green, they know I would sell it right on the lot and never take it home. Racing family.

• Jolene
    Super December 2012
    Jolene ·
    • Flag

I will be 52 when we get married. I am wearing a wedding dress. I am not sure that my age has anything to do with what I am wearing, it is just what I want to wear.

• cheryl
    Savvy December 2012
    cheryl ·
    • Flag

Those shoes are spetacular and I don't even like shoes. I like the simple dress from davids bridal. i never once imagined david's bridal having normal stuff....lol...my sis used to manage their alterantions dept...some fancy stuff went thru... I'm going to check out david's bridal. found this one on ebay and its kinda getting close... I'm not wanting frumpy, but its at our house in the middle of the day in december in north dakota....hopefully I won't have to run the tractor to plow the drive... or if I do I'll change clothes...LOL

• Beth
    VIP September 2013
    Beth ·
    • Flag

MyLove&HisMrs - Do you know where that very first dress is from? I love it!

• Michele &
    Devoted June 2014
    Michele & ·
    • Flag

I consider myself an older bride as well....and I must say, go to a boutique, and let them help you.....you will find an amazing dress and if you like it wear it. Don't wear something that you think you should wear because you are a retiree....

• MJ
    Master June 2013
    MJ ·
    • Flag

Romans is a site with nice church type clothing. Search for white down the left side. There is a lace and chiffon jacket dress that is very pretty.

• Michele, my Belle
    Super December 2012
    Michele, my Belle ·
    • Flag

How about these...

• Celia Milton
    January 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

Look at this store; i'd wear a LOT of these! (I'm in my 50's)

http://www.bhldn.com/shop-the-bride-wedding-dresses/

• Kathleen
    Savvy May 2013
    Kathleen ·
    • Flag

Maybe try Nordstrom? I like this one, though you'd need a wrap.

Comment on this discussion