MarleyAnne22
Super October 2016

No veil for me, who else?

MarleyAnne22, on September 6, 2016 at 12:06 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 75
Saved Save

Before I ever went dress shopping I was pretty set on not having a veil, but I figured I'd try some on just to be sure. So once I found my dress I took some time to try on a few different styles of veils. My mom actually agreed with me for once in saying that my dress looked better without one. My grandma just didn't understand how I could get married without one (LOL).

Now..with my wedding about a month away I'm kind of second guessing it, but at the same time I know I won't wear it.

What made y'all decide veil or no veil, and if no veil how are you wearing your hair?

75 Comments

• Erin381
    Master September 2016
    Erin381 ·
    • Flag

No veil here. They were itchy and got in the way. My seamstress and the women at the dress shop made it seem like it was not very bridal - um the big white dress will remind everyone who the bride is.......

Hair attached

• Jennifer
    VIP July 2016
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

I went w/out a veil and had flowers in my hair instead. This was my inspiration photo... and what I had

• OnCloudCotton
    Dedicated July 2017
    OnCloudCotton ·
    • Flag

I will Definitely not be wearing a veil.

• MarleyAnne22
    Super October 2016
    MarleyAnne22 ·
    • Flag

@NotTHATErin and @Jennifer Love those styles ladies!

Yes, Erin, that's how people made it seem to me as well. Like it'll be obvious I'm the bride without one. I, too, found them itchy and annoying. Knowing me I'd probably accidentally yank it off my head and mess my hair up!

• J
    Savvy October 2016
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

I am doing a facinator

• Jordan Elizabeth
    Savvy May 2017
    Jordan Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

I am going to wear a veil, but I definitely like the idea of not having one! Honestly the only reason I am wearing one is to please our families. I really just think it is an old tradition that results in a lot of itching, and I hate that it goes along with the "giving the bride away" tradition (as in treating her like property). If you don't want to wear a veil, I say go for it! All the best luck to you!

• A
    Just Said Yes October 2017
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

Love the idea of the loose bun and flowers in the hair! I definitely am considering that for my wedding

• O&L
    VIP September 2016
    O&L ·
    • Flag

I wanted veil but cannot find one that match my dress. Everyone been telling me not to coverup pretty details in the back.

• SarahAnn1015
    Super October 2016
    SarahAnn1015 ·
    • Flag

I did something last Friday that I, at first, had zero intentions of doing. I ordered a veil. It was not expensive so if I still decide not to wear one no real loss. If I do end up wearing it, it'll only be for the ceremony. 1 tier with no blusher, chapel length. ETA so I guess I am still on the fence about wearing one or not. lol

• Jaimee
    Master October 2019
    Jaimee ·
    • Flag

I'd like to wear a mantilla veil, but since I'm no where close to dress shopping, I suppose that could change at some point.

• Kasi P.
    Dedicated October 2016
    Kasi P. ·
    • Flag

@OuidaNLuis - I agree, the back of your dress is gorgeous and you don't want to cover that up.

Maybe consider a birdcage veil? I tried one on, but i'm not much of a "hair accessory girl". I don't think i'll have anything in my hair. Smiley smile

• FutureMrsBray
    Devoted October 2016
    FutureMrsBray ·
    • Flag

I'm not doing the veil. I just hated the way it looked on me. I think I'm going to do some kind of hair accessories instead.

• C
    Super August 2017
    C ·
    • Flag

I loved the way a cathedral length veil looked but I've decided not to wear one. I'm all about comfort and don't want anything fussy. So no veil or train because I feel like they'll both get in the way and be annoying. I am wearing my hair down. Possibly with a comb pulling the one side back behind my ear.

• Lara
    Master July 2015
    Lara ·
    • Flag

No veil! I was dead set on that from the beginning!

• Jenna
    Super July 2017
    Jenna ·
    • Flag

I decided a veil because it made me feel like a bride and I will only get to wear it once in my life. Plus, I can pass it down to my daughters one day.

• MarleyAnne22
    Super October 2016
    MarleyAnne22 ·
    • Flag

I enjoy hearing everyone's input! I think having one would take away from the back of my dress.

@SarahAnn I've looked online and contemplated just ordering one.

I will be wearing a hair piece since I'm not having a veil. I considered flowers in my hair but with my flowers being sunflowers they would be way too big for hair!

I think veils are traditional but also becoming less popular than they were. I've been to a lot of wedding lately with no veil. Whether someone does or doesn't wear one I don't consider them any less of a bride!

My grandma made a point that this will be the only time I ever get to wear one and that is so true, but I have super irritable skin and I think that with one I'd be miserable.

• Holly
    Master February 2017
    Holly ·
    • Flag

No veil most likely, probably doing a simple headband like this with a loose bun in the back.

• Christine
    Devoted September 2017
    Christine ·
    • Flag

I think I'll spend the money on a hairpiece/flowers/etc. instead. I love the back of my dress and don't want to hide it.

• SarahL2T
    VIP April 2017
    SarahL2T ·
    • Flag

Veils are SO not required! My best friend got married without one in 2013 (she had one, but decided a month or so out she wanted flowers instead of the veil) and absolutely she looked like a bride without it! I am planning on wearing a veil, but plan to take it off after the ceremony. My dress is very simple, and the veil has some bling on it, so it adds a lot to my dress, instead of detracting from it.

• Melanie
    Expert November 2016
    Melanie ·
    • Flag

I'm not wearing one, they cost so much and I'd only be wearing it for a short ceremony. My hair will either be in a bun or pinned to the side with curls

Comment on this discussion