Goodbye
VIP October 2014

No guest book?

Goodbye, on May 29, 2013 at 4:19 PM Posted in Planning 0 22
Saved Save

I've been to several weddings recently where I feel like a lot of the guest books went unsigned which has resulted in me thinking about skipping the guest book, but I'm curious...

If you would go to a wedding would you actually look for the guest book? Think anyone would miss it? Is anyone NOT having a guest book?

22 Comments

• Mrs. Chumley
    Super July 2013
    Mrs. Chumley ·
    • Flag

The ones that have guestbooks usually have a guestbook person at the entrance to direct eveyone to do so, i didnt want a guest book, we love wine and are having people sign corks (u can buy them for crafts) and they are going in a barrel shapped iron basket we bought, my niece is our "guestbook person"

• Ashley
    VIP May 2013
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

When I'm at weddings I sign every guest bookish item they have lol. Last wedding I went to they had a book and a plate, I signed both.

We had 2 available guest books, one for peoples photo's and one that was a standard write in book. If you don't want one don't have one, I don't think anyone would say anything against it.

• HisMrs
    Master September 2012
    HisMrs ·
    • Flag

We had a very simple "traditional" guest book. I think maybe 15 people signed it. Now it's sitting in a box somewhere. We definitely could have gone without one.

But I do see brides coming up with really cute, different ideas that they plan on displaying in their house somewhere.

It all depends on how important it is to you.

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·
    • Flag

People are going to sign ours even if means I have to walk around with it like it's a yearbook.

• KristnH
    Master November 2013
    KristnH ·
    • Flag

I always sign the guest book, no matter what event I'm at. If they went to the trouble of making it (whatever it is), I'll take 2 minutes to sign it for them!

I'm gonna be like @Paris & go table to table "did you sign our guest book?" haha. I spent a lot of time on that thing!

• J
    VIP June 2013
    Jenn ·
    • Flag

Were doing a wooden letter W for my future last name. It's painted black and everyone can just sign their name in silver/gold. I figured if it looks decent I can display it on the mantle, if not, oh well.

• Shannon
    Devoted May 2014
    Shannon ·
    • Flag

The only guest books I have ever signed were photo booth scrap book ones and that's only because I was right there using the photo booth, otherwise I probably would have forgot like every other wedding I've ever been too.

• Candice B.
    Master July 2013
    Candice B. ·
    • Flag

I only sign it when it's in clear eye sight, at the beginning of the reception.. Which is why we are putting our at the entrance to the reception. Other than that, I'd never even think about it.

I dubbed our guestbook as a photobook with our engagement pictures just for that reason. So, if we don't get alot of people to sign it, at least we have a book with our favorite engagement pics.

• Married2013
    Master September 2013
    Married2013 ·
    • Flag

I always skip signing the guest book! Usually there is a long line and I plan to come back later, and then I end up forgetting and leaving without signing it. We got a guest book as a Christmas gift from my grandpa and his girlfriend. So… it worked out. There are some cute guest books for reasonable prices at Michaels and all around. I’m sure you could find one for under $20 if it’s not an expense you want to splurge on.

• Shea Harris
    February 2020
    Shea Harris ·
    • Flag

In my many year in the wedding biz, I have to say that if the book is not placed in a visible location it will go unsigned. A great place is by the place cards or the card box. Honestly if you skip it many ppl won't even notice you didn't have it. The non traditional guest books such as framed portrait of the couple or a well wish box are very popular with guest.

• Sara
    VIP May 2013
    Sara ·
    • Flag

We did advice cards instead of a guest book. My plan was to use them for a wedding scrapbook. Very few were filled out and half of the ones that were fled out had no name. Glad I didn't spend more money and time on it then I did!

H thinks part of the problem was that they were too far from the entrance. It rained at last minute so we had to have the ceremony inside (in the same room as the reception) so people entered from the opposite door than they would have in coming inside from the outdoor ceremony location.

• sara
    Super November 2013
    sara ·
    • Flag

My step mom brought it to my attention that she had to refer to her guest book when doing her thank you's. Some of the people (invited by her parents) only wrote their first names on the present they brought. So just something to keep in mind!

• Anna Banana
    Expert November 2013
    Anna Banana ·
    • Flag

I look for the guestbook to sign whenever I'm at a wedding. It is really up to you. Do you want it a a keepsake? Do you want to read people's little notes 10 years from now? It doesn't cost that much so it would be nice to have it instead of not having one at all. A cheap one at Target is around $10. You never know what people will write to you.

• Danielle
    Super August 2013
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

You could always do some sort of alternative to a guestbook... seems to be more popular these days! I feel like the guestbook will be something that's important to me years down the road.

• Annie
    VIP March 2014
    Annie ·
    • Flag

We are doing a shutterfly guest book of pictures. People can pick a page and sign it and leave us words of wisdom..haha..I want to do a book because it's something that can be tucked away. 20-30 years from now I may not want to display something that was from my wedding, but will still have it tucked away in a book case or dresser drawer.

Although, I have to say, I love the corks in the iron cage (barrel)

• Shojo*Bride
    Super October 2015
    Shojo*Bride ·
    • Flag

Thats the first thing i do when i am at a wedding

but you could always pass it table to table lol down the line.

• NG
    Expert November 2015
    NG ·
    • Flag

I sign because its right there in my face. But I don't want the traditional guestbook mainly because ten years from now, I probably won't read it. I was thinking about having little cards placed on each table at the reception and pens for each guest to write something. Then have a little "best wishes" jar by the gift table where they can place them. Then while fh and I go over them, we'll place them in one of those business card binders and save them. I like this cuz it'll be water proof and they will maintain well through the years.

• Caroline L.
    Expert July 2013
    Caroline L. ·
    • Flag

I rarely sign the guestbook...not on purpose, but I normally see it when there's a line of people waiting to sign it, and then remember about it when I'm in my car, driving back home. We're not having one, as I know it would just gather dust somewhere...

We're thinking of having 'mad libs' on each table for guests to fill out.

• D
    Expert September 2014
    Dani ·
    • Flag

To be honest if its a simple traditional guest book i usually am like ill get to that before i leave sometimes i forget Smiley sad but if its exciting a different i get excited to sign it lolx

for my guest book were doing a dictionary guest book we found the idea on pinterest and i love it!

• Sarah D.
    VIP March 2013
    Sarah D. ·
    • Flag

We got a memory book from hobby lobby that has all the details of how we met, engagment, showers, and wedding with a guest signing place. About 75% of guests signed it, and I added the rest so that I wouldn't forget anyone who was there. We also had a picture mat that people signed. But only about 30 people signed it.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics