Stephanie
Expert October 2018

New Job Wedding Time off

Stephanie, on June 13, 2018 at 3:42 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice

I have a new job interview on Friday! Yay! I will need a lot of time off though between now and the end of the year, do I tell them that in the interview or just wait to see what it's like? Aka (Friday rehearsal, Saturday Wedding, and Sunday recovery). Also our Honeymoon is already paid and booked in December. And my mom JUST sent out bridal shower invitations for August 12. What would you do? Tell them in the interview or just see if things work out, and then decide?

Share:

17 Comments

• Michelle
    VIP September 2018
    Michelle ·
    Wait until they offer you the position and then accept under the contingency that they will allow you those days off for your wedding/events.
  • ISaidHallYes
    Rockstar November 2018
    ISaidHallYes ·
    I would wait until you see how the interview goes and if they offer you the position. Then if you are going to accept you talk to them about the dates that will be required off before you officially accept.
  • FutureMrsV
    Master October 2018
    FutureMrsV ·

Definitely what the PP said. Those things are to be discussed during the offer process

• muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel ·

Wait until you have a job offer. If they want you, they will accommodate your needs for time off.

• FutureMrsKC
    Rockstar January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·

Wait until they offer you a job. No need to bring it up in an interview.

• FutureMrsD
    Rockstar July 2019
    FutureMrsD Online ·

I would maybe wait until you are offered the job? If they offer it, you can let them know about your upcoming wedding weekend and honeymoon plans.

• M
    Devoted August 2018
    Melissa ·
    I was in this position. I brought it up during the offer and they didn’t mind at all. If they’re offering you paid vacation hopefully you’ll be eligible for it by the time you need to take the days off. If not you could offer to take it unpaid. In my case I was transitioning out of finishing my PHD and had planned some fairly extensive travel. They allowed me to start right away so they could get me onbaorded then take the time off as unpaid so I didn’t have to eat up any of my paid vacation. I think most employers are understanding of pre scheduled time off especially for a highly qualified candidate.
  • L
    Devoted October 2018
    Linda ·
    I am hoping for an offer soon too. I have not mentioned the time off yet (3 interviews in). If I get the official offer I plan to make the specific days I need as a condition of acceptance, but I also plan to offer to take them without pay since I know I won’t have th PTO saved up by time I need them.
  • Molly
    Savvy September 2018
    Molly ·

My MOH just went through this same situation. She needs a week off to come to Montana for my wedding so when she was interviewing she mentioned that if she was chosen for the job that she would need that week off. She said every interviewer was super happy that she brought that up and it brought up a whole new conversation. The job she was chosen for was more than happy to give her the time off. I think you should be honest and upfront with it in the interview. Maybe wait until the end when they ask if you have any questions for them. Good luck and I hope you get the job!!

• Mrs. Fall Bride
    Master October 2016
    Mrs. Fall Bride ·

I've always waited until after an offer is made before telling the new employer about any planned vacations. Let them decide that they want you first before telling them anything that might sway their decision to hire you or not.

• K
    Dedicated September 2018
    Katie ·
    I am literally in the middle of training for a new job and it is 3 months away. Sometimes it just depends on what kind of job you are going for. I don't usually mention the wedding in interviews, but this one I did and still got the job. Just be straight forward with them and it usually isn't a problem.
  • K
    Expert February 2019
    Kelsey ·
    Definitely tell them at your interview
  • b11
    Expert May 2019
    b11 ·
    View Quoted Comment
    It’s not appropriate to tel this at your interview and I don’t think they’re allowed to ask either.
  • OrangeCrush
    Super October 2017
    OrangeCrush ·
    View Quoted Comment

This^^^^100%.

• J
    Dedicated August 2018
    J.Taylor ·
    Just here to congratulate all of you on your new jobs or interviews! I’m in the midst of job searching and it is HARD. Hoping to hear back for an interview soon 🤞🏼
  • Stephanie
    Expert October 2018
    Stephanie Online ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! And good luck. It is verrrry hard looking for a new job. I am very excited as this would be a step up in my career. However nervous because since I’m a server a major paycut.
  • C
    Super September 2019
    Colleen ·
    I would wait to job offer just make sure you bring it up then.

Comment on this discussion