Charity
Super October 2016

New Here! And a question about Family Style

Charity, on April 10, 2016 at 2:46 PM Posted in Planning 0 32
Saved Save

Hello all!

This is my first post...I've been reading with great enjoyment for a little while, and appreciate all of the great advice and feedback here!

FH and I have been engaged for six months, getting married six months from yesterday! It's starting to get more and more real! Can't wait!!!! We are getting married on Block Island (just off the coast of Rhode Island).

I do have a question for all of you! Our venue (the Spring House Hotel on BI) will do either buffet (sorry Karen!) or family style. I've been to a couple of weddings where the meal was served family style and I loved it, but I'm a very laid back person so I'm not sure if it appeals broadly. What do you all think of family style weddings? We are having 50 guests, so it's a pretty intimate setting.

Thanks in advance!

32 Comments

• LoLo.P
    VIP May 2016
    LoLo.P ·
    • Flag

Welcome!

I've only been to one wedding with family style and there wasn't enough food served to the table to feed everyone. The last person that got the bowl/plate didn't get much. So if that can be avoided then family style is fine I think!

• Elizabeth
    Master December 2016
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

I'm not a fan of family style. Too casual and a PITA to make sure everyone gets as much as they want while saving for the rest of the table.

• Mrs. Knolle
    Master July 2016
    Mrs. Knolle ·
    • Flag

I don't mind family style, but you need to consider that there won't be much room for centerpieces as the food will be taking up a majority of the space.

• MsKellie
    Super October 2017
    MsKellie ·
    • Flag

Hello and welcome! I agree with others that I don't really like family style because it's hard to make sure the people getting the food last have enough. I would go with a buffet.

• Angel
    VIP October 2016
    Angel ·
    • Flag

Welcome! I've been to family style and I love it. I get to choose a variety and there was enough for people to have seconds.

• K
    Devoted December 2016
    Kayla ·
    • Flag

Potlucks would be perfect for this.

• FallforLindahl
    VIP June 2017
    FallforLindahl ·
    • Flag

Family style is nice especially if it goes with your personality!

• HoneyLife
    VIP October 2016
    HoneyLife ·
    • Flag

Only you know what your guests would be comfortable with. Personally I'd prefer buffet to family style.

• Kathryn
    VIP August 2016
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag

I would prefer a buffet so I don't need to worry about making sure there's enough for everyone at the table/spilling because I would be the guest who drops a plate of something. Good luck with your planning!

• OGMary
    VIP October 2016
    OGMary ·
    • Flag

I love family style, but I've never seen it at a wedding. I feel like for 50 people it would work well, but I think it depends on how formal you want to be and what your guests would like.

• BicycleBuiltForTwo
    Master September 2016
    BicycleBuiltForTwo ·
    • Flag

I think buffets let you work with dietary restrictions easier.

• twostep127
    Super June 2016
    twostep127 ·
    • Flag

I personally don't like family style unless I'm actually with my family/very close friends. It gets awkward if there's one favorite dish but not enough for everyone to have as much as they'd like. Buffet would be my preference!

• Charity
    Super October 2016
    Charity ·
    • Flag

Thanks so much for the responses so far! You have definitely given me new perspectives to consider...and I didn't even think about things like that there would be less room for centerpieces!

• Catie
    Expert October 2016
    Catie ·
    • Flag

I've been to one wedding that did family style and one rehearsal dinner that did it. I didn't mind either (actually loved the rehearsal dinner one). But I would definitely make sure there is more than enough food and that they are willing to refill if it gets low, and well as make sure there is plenty of room at the tables for all of the food being there.

• OriginalKD
    Master December 2015
    OriginalKD ·
    • Flag

I went to a wedding last year (HAAAYYYYY Pancakes!!) that was family style and I loved it!!

• materantiqua
    VIP December 2016
    materantiqua ·
    • Flag

I like family style depending on who I am seated with. If it's a bunch of strangers, I'd rather not share food

• A
    VIP June 2017
    Along10 ·
    • Flag

Welcome and congratulations! I go to Block Island every summer! It's my favorite place in the world. A Spring House Hotel wedding will be beautiful! I'm from CT on the coast Smiley smile

I'm not a fan of family style although I've never been to a wedding like that so I have no real life experience.

• Elizabeth
    Master December 2016
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

@Kayla pot lucks are never appropriate for weddings.

• Mrs.T_618
    VIP June 2016
    Mrs.T_618 ·
    • Flag

FH and I went to a wedding last October that was family style and there wasn't really enough food. Not ideal. I went to one last March that was a Chinese banquet (so family style) and there was plenty of food.

I think it's fine as long as there is ample food. We like our food and were not happy when there wasn't enough. Come to think of it, the both of the two non-Chinese banquet family style wedding receptions I attended were on winery grounds.

• E&M
    Master July 2016
    E&M ·
    • Flag

Congratulations and welcome!! I think family style would be great for such an intimate setting.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics