Katie
Super June 2014

Need bachelorette party advice

Katie, on August 4, 2014 at 9:55 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 13
Saved Save

I got married about two months ago and now the rest of my summer is filled with friends weddings. My husband and I got invited to a wedding via text/email for some " friends" or ares ( I say friends in quotes because we play in a volleyball league with them but don't hang out with them outside of that). They are super nice people and a great couple so we said yes we will come, even though we know we were on the B list, and didn't get a real invite or any of that info. Well fast forward I get an email invite to the bachelorette party. I think oh how sweet, I'll totally go. We're going to a baseball game and then everyone else is going out after ( I am going home because we have plans the next day). I learned that all the other girls got really elaborate invites in the mail with about 5 pieces and I just got the email PDF. Again, fine whatever I'm still ok going. I just got the timeline for the rest of the day - continued in comments.

13 Comments

• Katie
    Super June 2014
    Katie ·
    • Flag

I was told to bring a side dish to share, my own drinks, my own chair, and my own meat ( hotdog, hamburger etc). The email says " everything else will be provided". What else is there? Ketchup? Something about this is now rubbing me the wrong way and I'm thinking of not going. I need some advice from you ladies on this whole situation. How do you think I should handle this? Just suck it up and go, and spend the money on all the extra stuff?

Edited for spelling.

• Chelsea
    Super August 2014
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag

They want you to bring your own hamburger ? WTF. I am pretty sure I would be like, ummm, no. That is just odd.

• heidi
    VIP October 2014
    heidi ·
    • Flag

I'm on the same line of thinking as you. The first time, with the text message, I'd be like, "Okay, whatever" and not let it bother. The second time, with the invite, I'd be a little annoyed but I'd still shrug it off. The third time ... that's when it would get to me.

I sounds like you're just being asked to bring your own food and chair for the game? That would be pretty normal, wouldn't it (other than the side dish to share ... which seems weird to me)? Maybe by "everything else," she means the ticket? I'm trying to go with benefit of the doubt here, but I think you have a right to be irritated. Whether or not to go is up to you.

• Katie
    Super June 2014
    Katie ·
    • Flag

I also had to pay $20 for the ticket, which doesn't exactly break the bank, but I will also have to pay for parking at the stadium which will be between $10-$20 - but it would have been nice to know ahead of time all these extras that are also involved. I will also be driving about an hour and a half by myself to go to the game since apparently everyone else is carpooling but the carpools are full.

• heidi
    VIP October 2014
    heidi ·
    • Flag

Yeah, I think I would decline just with all the extra costs alone. You're right that they should have let you know ahead of time. If you are paying for parking and the ticket, I have no idea what she would be taking of. Sounds like she's just saying "we're going a ball game and you're all paying for everything yourself ... and you need to be a side dish to share with everyone." Just seems like a bit much to me, especially on top of not getting proper invites.

• Katie
    Super June 2014
    Katie ·
    • Flag

Ok I'm glad i'm not just thinking crazy!

• Mrs Gray
    Super August 2014
    Mrs Gray ·
    • Flag

I would skip it. If it were me, I personally would feel like not only a "B list" guest but rather a courtesy invite. 2x you didn't get areal invitation and you are expected to pay your own way, drive yourself, AND bring your own food, chair, whatever? Nah.......Too much of a hassle.

• kaylarae
    Master April 2015
    kaylarae ·
    • Flag

That seems like a lot of work haha maybe I'm just lazy. I mean the chair I get but everything else?

• Kimberly
    VIP October 2014
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag

The driving by yourself because the car pools are full did it for me. I would decline.

• cupcake_bride
    Expert November 2014
    cupcake_bride ·
    • Flag

Eh I'd skip it especially since you're not super close with her. The money will add up. Bringing your own meat is weird.

• Rachey
    VIP June 2014
    Rachey ·
    • Flag

So basically what they're giving you is a place to hang out with other ppl at your own expense? Lol I would totally skip it not because I was on the b list but it's turning into a bigger pain in the ass than it's worth. I wouldn't feel guilty either since you're not that close. I have Vball friends I know how it is.

• A
    VIP August 2014
    Anonymous ·
    • Flag

Umm yeah I would skip that too that is excessive. Maybe they could have saved money of the five piece invites and got some meat. Strange.

• Katie
    Super June 2014
    Katie ·
    • Flag

Thanks for the piece for mind ladies. I'm going to email the planner tonight and tell her I won't be able to make it.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics