Alyssa
Just Said Yes December 2018

Need Advice for Bridesmaid Dresses

Alyssa, on Dec 7, 2017 at 1:23 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice

Hi, I am one of 4 girls, so my 3 sisters are going to be bridesmaids. This is an honest post, first and foremost, let me say that I love my sisters dearly and can not wait for them to share in this day with me. I wouldn't have it any other way. I have been with my FH for 8 years and we are finally getting around to officially tying the knot. That being said, two of my sisters were very "blessed" on the topside. My older sister has had two kids(as recent as a year ago) but overall, has always been a bigger girl. I want them to be comfortable, and enjoy what they are wearing. We live in three different states so before we get together to try on dresses, I have been trying to research different styles. I have always been much smaller than my sisters so I don't know where to start. I don't want to pick something that wouldn't flatter them. It's important to me that they are comfortable and happy. Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated! Wedding is December in Charleston. Thx!

Share:

21 Comments

• muriel
    Master June 2018
    muriel ·

Don't get hung up on picking a style for all 3 of them. Choose a color,fabric and length and let them choose the style they feel best wearing.

Check out Azazie. You can even order a sample dress.

• Ashley
    VIP May 2018
    Ashley ·

I would focus on color and fabric! Azazie, show me your mumu are all great

• PHXBride
    Devoted February 2018
    PHXBride ·

Go to David's Bridal and let them all try on different types of dresses and take pictures of themselves, I have 3 VERY different bridesmaids, and we found a material, color and length that looked good on all three. They each have a different dress but because the material, length and color are all the same it looks cohesive. You don't need to buy anything but it would be good to see which styles work the best on all 3. Don't stress, you will find something.

• FutureMrs.Lucas
    VIP September 2018
    FutureMrs.Lucas ·

I agree to pick a color/fabric/length and let them try on different styles and pick the one that's most comfortable for them! They can all 3 be different styles, that's what I plan on doing, but they will still match being the same color/fabric/length!

• AQuixoticBride
    Expert July 2018
    AQuixoticBride Online ·

Why don't you ask them what style of dress they might like? Or what they definitely don't want?

• H
    Beginner August 2018
    Hillary ·

I was just in a wedding with bridesmaids in different states; she picked a designer that is featured in bridal shops all over and picked the color. So everyone was able to go to a bridal store near them and try on dresses, then order the right color.

Now they can all try on different styles and come to an agreement or they can wear different styles and pick what they want! Color will be consistent if the designer is the same.

• Maria Francesca
    Savvy April 2018
    Maria Francesca ·

I agree. I chose a color from David's bridal (they're in many states) and let my girls choose which dresses they wanted. And it also takes some stress off of you.

• Domi
    Savvy February 2018
    Domi ·

The versa dresses from David's are nice! They can change the straps to however they feel comfortable!

• Larry
    Expert November 2018
    Larry ·

I would pick out about three different styles you like, and ask them would you guys feel comfortable in any of these styles?

• Megan
    Expert September 2017
    Megan ·

Like PP said, pick a length and color and let them shop. I found Weddingtonway had a good size variety. I was surprised by the lack of options for dresses in a wide variety of sizes, I needed a size 2 to a size 24 and quickly gave up on the same dress. Perhaps give them a style or a couple of website options.

• Aly
    Expert June 2018
    Aly ·

I gave my BM's a color and length (for me, black and long), and are letting them go to town on whatever style makes them most comfortable. This may work for you.

• Maleficent
    Super January 2018
    Maleficent ·

Azazie for sure. So happy we went with them. Their custom measurements are awesome.

• Constance
    VIP October 2017
    Constance ·

Choose length, fabric, color and designer. Let them choose the style. We're doing Azazie for my sisters wedding.

• GardenParty18
    Dedicated April 2018
    GardenParty18 Online ·

I chose a designer (bill levkoff), color, fabric, and length. Then they picked the one that looked best on them. Worked great!

• Ginggotthering
    Devoted August 2018
    Ginggotthering ·

Azazie and Kennedy blue do home try on. It is so easy and they offer discounts more than davids bridal does.

• Stephanie
    Dedicated October 2018
    Stephanie ·

I didn't read everything everyone else posted, but if you're okay with variety, I'm letting my BM's pick whatever dress they're comfortable in, as long as it's floor length, and one of the colors that we picked. Azazie has an option where you can make a show room of dresses you like, that they can also pick from, if you want some sort of control over the style. They also allow you to try them on before committing for maybe $10 or $15?

Good luck!

• Kristen
    Savvy May 2018
    Kristen ·

I vote for Azazie as well! My BP lives in 3 separate states, too, and that's what they voted for. I'm choosing length, color, and fabric and they can pick whatever style they want.

• Emily
    Expert May 2018
    Emily ·

As someone who is larger and with a lot going on up top, I can say that choosing my own gown style is a god-send. I would pick the color/texture/length/fabric, but go with them to find something they like and are comfortable in. In terms of where to find that... azazie. For sure. So many options for everyone

• Katie M.
    Dedicated June 2019
    Katie M. ·

I also have my three sisters in my bridal party that vary in size and height. We will be sticking with the same color, length and fabric. I have found David's Bridal and Azazie to have plenty of the same dress with different tops.

• L
    Just Said Yes April 2018
    LaKisha ·

Brideside.com has a great selection of dresses for all body types. I suggest that you pick a color and then go from there. My personal bridal style consultant was Kelsey and she was phenomenal. Her information is as follows:

Kelsey Foley

kelsey.foley@brideside.com

m: 571.449.8374

o: 773.234.7187

Comment on this discussion