Christina
Savvy October 2020

My sisters told me my wedding dress was hideous.

Christina, on January 15, 2019 at 2:14 PM Posted in Family and Relationships 0 34
Saved Save
The story: I went impromptu wedding shopping at David’s bridal with my MoH on a snow day from work where they just happened to have an open appointment spot. The dress I went in theminking I wanted ended up being a big disappointment. So, I kept trying a few more dresses and emded up IN LOVE with an Oleg Cassini dress. I haven’t said “yes” but I was pretty sure I was. I sent my sisters a picture of me in the dress without context and they said “that dress is hideous” and the other said “it makes you look fat and old”. Needless to say I was in tears. My sisters are both my bridesmaids along with a long time friend and my best friend as my MoH. I’m heart broken that they would say such terrible things. I guess I’m really just ranting and need some other feedback. Thank you!

34 Comments

• Christina
    Savvy October 2020
    Christina ·
    • Flag
    I can’t seem to find a way to post a picture on mobile, but here’s a link the the dress: https://www.davidsbridal.com/product_oleg-cassini-organza-3-4-sleeved-wedding-dress-cwg731
  • MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    • Flag

Wow they do not sound very nice at all Smiley sad will you share a picture with us?

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I'm so sorry they said that. Honestly, I would never say that to anyone (even someone I hated) even if that's what I thought. Having said that, I think they are being dramatic. Can you post a picture of the dress?

• Christina
    Savvy October 2020
    Christina ·
    • Flag
    Here is me in the dress with the tiara, veil, and sash picked out by my amazing MoH.

My sisters told me my wedding dress was hideous. 1
  • Peggy
    Master November 2019
    Peggy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This dress is gorgeous! Don’t even worry about anything they are saying, some people will always find a way to be negative and critical. I think it’s a fantastic dress.
  • Peggy
    Master November 2019
    Peggy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Just saw this after I wrote the last post and you look better than the model. They are completely wrong.
  • G
    Devoted April 2020
    Grace ·
    • Flag
    That's incredibly rude and insensitive of them. I think the dress is gorgeous. I'm not sure how it would make you look old or fat as it's a very modern style of dress with a mix of classic style and a forgiving skirt. Don't let what they say get to you. Speaking from experience sisters can say things they don't mean especially if they are jealous so they may in fact love the dress but are experiencing jealous feelings which come out as hurtful words to you. I think I would either let it go or speak to them about it.
  • Erin Wood
    Master July 2017
    Erin Wood ·
    • Flag
    I love that dress!! Classy and elegant! Your friends are just rude.
  • Christina
    Savvy October 2020
    Christina ·
    • Flag
    I started out trying to help them understand like “there’s an unfitting corset underneath” “you weren’t there” “it’s so comfortable” but then I just told them I was going to bed.. I did not expect that kind of treatment from them! My venue is an historic Inn in a downtown and I thought it fit the theme perfectly and I’ve always wanted an ivory dress. They are both younger than I am and my “bigger” sister said “you’re skinny you should show it off” and started sending me all these google image screenshots of trumpet and form fitting dresses..
  • G
    Devoted April 2020
    Grace ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Just saw this after I commented. You look amazing in this dress and very fit. The dress is gorgeous. Your sisters are completely wrong on what they said.
  • Christina
    Savvy October 2020
    Christina ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! ❤️
  • Christina
    Savvy October 2020
    Christina ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This is actually some great insight. They are young, single moms. I love them dearly! But they have made poor choices. They actually quoted those poor choices when I asked them about the planning of other parties(bridal/bachelorette) sayid “well I have a 2/3 year old to take care of by myself, your MoH will have to do/plan/pay for everything” makes me think I shouldn’t have them as bridesmaids and that breaks my heart.
  • Brittany
    Super October 2019
    Brittany ·
    • Flag

The dress is beautiful and looks great on you. It certainly does not make you look "fat or old". Your sisters don't sound very nice. I would ignore them and also possibly consider keeping them out of the planning for your wedding. I wouldn't send them any photos or tell them anything specific...just your MOH. There's no need for extra stress or tears!

• Angerra
    VIP August 2019
    Angerra ·
    • Flag
    Fat WHERE??
    I'm sorry that you had to receive such insensitive comments! I think the dress is very nice and if that's your dress, then you go ahead and get it. On your wedding day, you'll look and feel great! Don't go against what you want for anyone. Smiley smile
  • M&M Bride
    Super September 2018
    M&M Bride ·
    • Flag

How awful, I am sorry that they weren't supportive. You look gorgeous in that dress! If you love it, then that's all that counts! I get it though, my younger sister didn't love the dress that I picked out. Although she was more delicate with her words she let me know that she didn't love it. It sucked to hear, but I loved it and it was the perfect choice for me.

• Cristy
    Rockstar May 2020
    Cristy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I think that dress is beautiful!!! How could they say you look fat? You're gorgeous!! It seems to really suit your body, and if you LOVE it, just try to ignore what they are saying. I don't know your sisters, but some people never have anything positive to say. It's like if it isn't all about them, then it's bad.

btw, I checked out the link you posted, and saw the dress from the website. But then you posted this pic of you wearing it, and I like it even better on you!!! Go for it!!!

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias Online ·
    • Flag

That dress is gorgeous on you. I would not listen to what your sisters said.

• Deb
    Dedicated October 2018
    Deb ·
    • Flag

That dress is beautiful and you look beautiful in it!

• Gloria
    Super March 2019
    Gloria ·
    • Flag
    I’m not understanding why they would say that to you .the dress looks gorgeous on you ,and you’re definitely are not fat !! there’s something wrong with your sisters.
  • Lauren
    Devoted October 2019
    Lauren ·
    • Flag
    They sound like the part of ones body where the feces comes out.

That dress is beautiful.

Comment on this discussion