P.F.
Super May 2018

My e-ring turned gold

P.F., on December 26, 2017 at 6:19 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 32
Saved Save
It's only a few days away from having my e-ring for a year and it already turned gold!! It's supposed to be silver Smiley cry Idk where he bought it so I'm gonna have to ask FH if he can take it in and have it redipped or something. Not sure how that works. I wouldn't care if he had bought me a gold ring so the color itself isn't the issue. I'm just sad that he bought me a silver ring and it's no longer silver. It's more that it doesn't look the way it was intended by him if that makes sense Smiley sad. I guess no question, just sad.

32 Comments

• Alforev
    VIP August 2018
    Alforev ·
    • Flag
    Are you sure it was silver or white gold?
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    I'm pretty sure it was that white gold. I always forget to say that instead of silver because I don't see the difference.

Just seems too soon? I expected it to turn gold eventually, but not within a year
  • KarenO
    Master June 2018
    KarenO ·
    • Flag

That does seem like it wore down pretty quickly. Do you wear it all the time?

It probably can be dipped again to look like new.

• Melissa
    Expert June 2018
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    How quickly white gold turns yellow is very dependent on you and your body chemistry and how you care for it. Keep soaps and lotions away from it and that should help. I always remove mine before showering and i take it off to apply lotion.
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    Yeah I even sleep in it. I only take it off when I need to keep it safe: shower, gym, cooking, sometimes at work. Otherwise it's on. I thought I was doing a pretty good job of protecting it :/
    It has tiny diamonds in the band so Idk if that will prevent it from being dipped. That's a question he'll have to ask
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    @Melissa, really? I had no idea my own body could turn it. I take it off to shower and to put lotion on but I put it on immediately after using lotion so that probably doesn't help. I wash my hands a lot with it on.
    I'll have to be even more careful once it's fixed.. Didn't realize I was damaging it so rapidly
  • bobbileighba
    Expert June 2018
    bobbileighba ·
    • Flag
    My ring for my last marriage was white gold and my body just doesn't do good with white gold. We had to redip every year and within 6 months I could see the yellow tint. This time I got platinum because I know my body just doesn't play nice with white gold. Smiley sad
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    Really?? Why is that a thing! I wish we knew this before the ring was bought so he could have made sure it was actual silver or gold instead of white gold Smiley sad I'll feel bad if we have to dip it every year. I might have to accept it'll just be gold and remember it was silver once upon a time. I'd hate to have to do it every year. I don't think he got insurance on it
  • Sara P.
    VIP October 2018
    Sara P. ·
    • Flag
    I got a white gold engagement ring and initially wore it all the time bc I didn't want to take it off but it started turning yellow within a few months. I'll have it redipped before the wedding but now I take it off more often. Still don't take it off when I wash my hands but I need to.
  • Nemo
    VIP August 2018
    Nemo ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    If you don’t have insurance on it, you definitely need to get some unless the ring is inexpensive enough to be able to easily buy again if you had it lost or stolen. FH bought insurance on mine before he proposed. He definitely wouldn’t have let me wear it out and about without having it covered because it would be way too expensive to replace. Our insurance is pretty cheap, I think he said it was around $20 a month? Maybe even cheaper than that.
  • Vernell
    Devoted October 2018
    Vernell ·
    • Flag
    I would get some Insurance on the ring.
  • GoodPrincessButtercup
    Devoted May 2018
    GoodPrincessButtercup ·
    • Flag
    Silver is not used for engagement rings because the metal is not strong enough for a diamond. If you have a diamond you definitely have a white gold band. If you are really unhappy with the maintenance white gold requires think about having Your stone reset in platinum.
  • earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag
    Silver tarnishes and is not as good quality as gold so you wouldn't want that either. What you're referring to is white gold. If you don't like how white gold responds to your body chemistry then perhaps you could upgrade to platinum.
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    @Sydney, I'll ask him again if he got insurance. That sounds like a reasonable price and would solve this issue.

@Stephanie & earias: I didn't know that! Definitely will consider going on to platinum! Thanks!
  • BoudreauToBe
    Master July 2018
    BoudreauToBe ·
    • Flag
    Insurance isn’t going to solve redipping - it’s routine maintenance.

Mine had to be redipped after a year. I personally don’t mind the worn color, since it looks more natural. However, I want to make sure both the engagement ring and wedding band wear at the same rate.

You can bring it to any jeweler to have this done. My jeweler offers the first one free since we bought it there, and then charges $50-$75 for each time after that.

Also, platinum is very expensive, which is likely why white gold exists.
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    @boudreautobe: the more y'all tell me the more I realize I don't know. Your comment is extremely informative. So platinum is out then. He always said he'll only settle for buying a cheaper ring if he buys a "better" ring later but I told him I didn't want a replacement ring and I don't care if this one's cheaper. Which, of course I don't care, I just feel guilty that it turned so quickly so I wish I had known my body chemistry or whatever would mess it up. I think what it comes down to is keeping it gold for now. I'll dip it before the wedding like you did. Thank you for all the information
  • Kiley
    Super February 2019
    Kiley ·
    • Flag
    I didn't know that was a thing! I thought that with white gold it would stay that light/silver color. I Will have to make sure I am more careful with my ring!
  • Audrey
    Devoted October 2018
    Audrey ·
    • Flag
    I only wear white gold, I've honestly never had it then! But I'm sure the jewelers can do something for you! Even if it's not where your FH bought it, any basic jeweler can probably help you.
  • FutureMrs
    Super January 2019
    FutureMrs ·
    • Flag
    I work in a hospital (constant scrubbing in and foaming) and I wear all the time. So mine has started to turn gold already as well. (Been about a year) I just plan on redipping it. Hazard of the trade I guess
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    At the very least I know for sure I'll dip it before the wedding. It's convenient knowing I can take it anywhere because he tends to procrastinate until he forgets if it's not something vital Smiley tongue . The collective knowledge on WW is amazing

Comment on this discussion