Chelle
Super August 2013

My dress is a nightmare, and I'm a pushover- update in comments

Chelle, on August 20, 2013 at 11:31 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 29
Saved Save

Why don't I have a backbone? DB alterations royally screwed up on my dress and I just fought with them, cried, and took my ill fitting dress home. Now it looks terrible, I feel awful in it and the wedding is 4 days away.

They sewed the bra cups in wrong, making my boobs look like they just go out, no cleavage, no lift. They told me the bra cups would fix hour big my dress is at the top and it didn't so now I have to pull it up constantly. Couldn't take another day off of work to have them fix it and now I'm screwed. I just can't stop crying in that ugly dress.

29 Comments

• Chelle
    Super August 2013
    Chelle ·

This is the second dress I've purchased since I didn't like the first one. MaybeI'm just self conscious. This is seriously the only thing bothering me about our wedding. Everything else us coming together so well!

• Out the Window
    Master May 2014
    Out the Window ·

Girl, you find your mom or your MOH or someone to do the talking for you and get that dress to what YOU want it!!

Or find someone here on WW who will bring on the balls!!!!

Anyone in the Chicago area for Chelle?!?!?!?!

• Amanda
    Master August 2013
    Amanda ·

Omg. Okay first, BREATHE. You're a gorgeous girl and you'll look perfect no matter what on your wedding day.

Second, is this a problem that could be solved with some good undergarments? I'm thinking those chicken cutlet things might make a world of difference. Can you post a picture so that we can give our objective opinion?

If it really is bad, there's still time for a seamstress to do some emergency work to it.

• Out the Window
    Master May 2014
    Out the Window ·

Pictures?

• Amanda
    Master August 2013
    Amanda ·

OTW, I agree someone needs to be rbeaking down DB's door over this, but I probably wouldn't trust them to take the dress back AGAIN and fix it in time. I think she'd be better off with an independent seamstress for this. JMO!

• ** Christina Q! **
    VIP December 2014
    ** Christina Q! ** ·

OMG go back now! Or really go to a seamstress and get it fixed right RIGHt NOW! Do not wear a dress that makes you cry! It'll be worth the money. I'm so sorry hun...

• Chelle
    Super August 2013
    Chelle ·

I'm going bra hunting tonight for sure and cutting out the horrible bra cups they sewed in ($40 wasted. Ugh) thanks so much for your support ladies. I wish one of you had been there with me at my fitting! I seriously might try and sew this thing together myself. Can't make it any worse than it already is I guess

• HISballerina
    VIP October 2014
    HISballerina ·

Isn't Amy in Chicago? Wherever she is she could handle scaring up some help at DB if can't or isn't there.... get someone to call or go down there and put them in their place and ask for some type of refund. It's not your fault they messed it up! And like Christina said, go to another seamstress and tell them the story... no one in their right mind would turn you away right now!

• Riki
    Master August 2014
    Riki ·

If this is your second dress, I wonder if it could be a "you" issue, not really a "dress" issue....Per se.

Are you pretty flat? Are you self conscious about that? Cause I am going to tell you the truth, the only thing that is going to give you cleavage is chicken cutlets (you know them little jelly boob inserts)...if you don't have boobs, you aren't going to get miracle boobs from a sew in bra.

You need Fredericks powered, padded, chicken cutlet filled inserts.

Please don't take this the wrong way. But don't listen to people telling you foolishness about pushing up an A cup. It never works. At the end of the day its still just a pushed up A cup.

Good luck with the bra shopping. Be straight forward with the sales woman and tell her you want to a bra and accessories that will push you up a full cup size or more.

• Vanessa R.
    VIP February 2014
    Vanessa R. ·

Take the dress back AS IS and tell them you are extremely unsatisified and constantly ask for a supervisior...usually the consultant or seamstress will fix it quietly if you raise hell about going to management. dont be afrain to open your mouth. YOU are the paying customer. i used to be a shy quiet girl until my mom told me something one day that is now paying off. she said "if you dont open your mouth nothing will get done". you cant sit there and cry over it because nothing will happen.

To add ill copy with that Riki said. A cup boobs will not give you cleavage TRUST ME, even with the chicken cutlets.

• Tatiana
    VIP September 2013
    Tatiana ·

Http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090CKN60/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got that. The first fitting she put the cups in how they would be sewn in (people kept saying they would give me lift), but they really did nothing for my boobs. Those cups don't push up, since there isn't much too them, but the added volume to my boobs and brought them together so there is cute cleave.

Also. I agree that you should go back. They should at least not charge you for the cups! Seriously...

• Chelle
    Super August 2013
    Chelle ·

Amy, I've hopefully taken all of the bad alterations luck from DB. I know your fitting will be awesome.

I'll try calling some other alterations places today. Maybe someone can squeeze me in. I just feel like complaining to DB is pointlessSince they're such a large chain. What will my opinion matter?

I JUST WANT TO GO TO CANCUN!!

• Buffee
    VIP June 2013
    Buffee ·

Amy, GO SLAP that B*TCH!!! And post pictures!!!!

• Juliette S
    Master February 2012
    Juliette S ·

If you go in there crying, they will listen....they wouldn't want the other customers wondering why a bride to be is crying unhappy tears!!! At the very least you should get your money back for the cups. And maybe talking to one of the managers will help and give you some other ideas (though I think chicken cutlets is the way to go too). But even though they are a big chain, they will listen. Call corporate first if you think that will help...they can pave the way to the store so that you already have their attention when you walk in the door!

• Rachel DellaPorte
    October 2019
    Rachel DellaPorte ·

I know this sounds juvenile, and I don't normally advocate it, but, I'd go back into that store prepared to make a loud scene. The manager doesn't want all the other potential customers to hear a paid customer yelling, "What do you mean I have to accept the dress the way it is? I paid hundreds of dollars to have this dress custom tailored, and it's completely wrong". All the other shoppers will turn around to see how the dispute is handled because that's what people do.

You spent a lot of money for a dress you will wear exactly one time. You have the right to expect it to be the best looking and best fitting garment you've ever owned.

Go back to the store, with reinforcements. I bet they'll see it your way.

• MJ
    Master June 2013
    MJ ·

Going back to David's bridal and if nothing else bring in our messages. I'm sure if you go in right now they will take care of it right now also.

• MNA
    Master April 2018
    MNA ·

Keep complaining to the store! Keep your receipts, and TAKE PICTURES! Demand your money back for the alterations, they weren't done right. If they refuse, go to management. If THEY refuse, go through their hotline or online customer service. I had a minor issue, and they were more than happy and quick to respond and help me! Definitely do whatever you have to, in order to fix your dress and get your money back! They didn't do the work they were supposed to, for the payment you made them. Their work is supposed to be "guaranteed!"

• Amanda
    Master August 2013
    Amanda ·

Oh yeah, echoing what Amy and the others said about making a scene. Pull out the tears if you're going to go back to DB. I was NOT happy with my first fitting (I was in between sizes, so the salon ordered down without telling me to EXPECT the dress to be snug). I started hyperventilating and crying up on the pedestal and the next thing I know, I've got two seamstresses, two consultants, and the store owner trying to help me. And what do you know? Now the dress is perfect.

Good luck!!!

• Chelle
    Super August 2013
    Chelle ·

I found a bra that saved my dress today! Took or the terrible bra cups from the alterations and this looks so much better. I'm going to re-sew my bustle because it looks like ass, but I'm feeling so much better.

Thank you all for letting me complain to you guys. You're the best.

And seriously, don't be a pushover like me

• Lesa Atteo
    October 2019
    Lesa Atteo ·

You must take that dress into DB when you know the seamstress will be there -- tell your job you will make up the time by staying late or coming in early or use some sick time, whatever -- just get to that DB and stay there till it's fixed and you love it.

Comment on this discussion