Zoe O.
Devoted November 2019

Mother/daughter Dancer

Zoe O., on December 13, 2018 at 10:15 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 8
Saved Save

It was decided early on that we would not be having the traditional father/daughter or mother/son dances as part of our reception. My father isn't in my life and a dance wasn't anything that my fiance or future mother in law were all that into anyway. However, my mother has mentioned to me that she would like to have a mother/dance. My only brother eloped and I'm her only daughter. So this is her only chance to dance at one of her children's weddings.

I've been looking at lists of songs for parent/children dances and most of them are ballads suitable for slow dancing. I don't really feel that's our dynamic. My mother pretty much raised us kids single-handedly and she is the one who taught me how powerful, strong, and independent women can be. So I'm wanting to do something upbeat and fun that celebrates the strength of women in our family. Any suggestions?

8 Comments

• Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag

Okay, this might be a little too real, but my first thought was Man, I Feel Like a Woman! by Shania Twain. There's also Stronger by Kelly Clarkson, Ladies of the 90s by Lauren Alaina, Black Magic by Little Mix. Wow, I'm just not realizing I listen to a lot of girl power music. Smiley laugh

Is there a specific genre you're hoping to stick to?

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

As a huge Kelly Clarkson song, in the circumstances you described, I'd second "Stronger" -- what a great empowered woman song! If you're looking for something a little softer, my niece and her mom danced to "My Girl" and it was very sweet.

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    • Flag

I can't think of any songs but I think it's really sweet you are doing this for her! She sounds like an amazing lady

• SummerBrideInAutumn
    VIP October 2019
    SummerBrideInAutumn ·
    • Flag
    I’m dancing with my mom to Carrie Underwood’s Mama’s Song, but that’s definitely a slow, sappy song. I like your idea of something upbeat. I’m not sure I agree with Kelly Clarkson’s Stronger though. It’s about someone doing her wrong (presumably an ex, although I suppose it could be anyone) and her pushing through the situation. I don’t think a song about recovering from a breakup is exactly the right tone for a wedding...
  • SummerBrideInAutumn
    VIP October 2019
    SummerBrideInAutumn ·
    • Flag
    Just relistened to Stronger...it’s definitely about a breakup.
  • Zoe O.
    Devoted November 2019
    Zoe O. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

You know, Shania Twain isn't a bad idea! We listened to her all the time when I was growing up. For the two of us, I'd say something from country, theatre, or 1960s pop would probably be the most fitting. I've also thought of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" or possibly "You Can't Stop the Beat" from the musical Hairspray, but Mom isn't moving quite like she used to.

• Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Ooh, I like You Can't Stop the Beat! I've never heard it played at a wedding and if it's special to you and your mom, I think it would be a great way to start off the party! You could even dance for a little while and then invite your guests to join you on the floor! Smiley smile

• Brittany
    Expert May 2019
    Brittany ·
    • Flag

I'm surprising my mom and step-mom with a dance! I'm going to ask the DJ to call all moms and daughters out to the dance floor and have him play "In My Daughter's Eyes." Probably not the upbeat feel you're going for, but I love the message of the song and can't wait to celebrate the bond of mothers & daughters with both of my moms AND having my daughter dance with me.

Comment on this discussion