Jennaya
Dedicated September 2019

money dance

Jennaya, on January 1, 2019 at 1:33 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 72
Saved Save
Hi all!!
was wondering your thoughts on a money dance my FMIL brought it up and i don’t know how i feel. For those of you who did a money dance was the experience good !? For those of you thinking about doing a money dance, what made you decide to do it!

72 Comments

• Monique
    VIP December 2019
    Monique ·
    My mom says it is tradition to do that to pay for the wedding night hotel. We get to stay the night in our venue and will have a honeymoon fund so I am considering not doing it. It seems like it would be fun to do in my opinion but I’m on the fence. They did it for their wedding and her parents as well. They each had huge weddings and got about 1000$ total.
  • M
    Expert September 2018
    M ·
    We didn't do it because it's not our personality types to be out there and dance with everyone.
    People on here will likely say it's "tacky." I personally don't mind them I'd say half the weddings in my life had one. As a guest I didn't participate and thought it kind of killed the momentem of the wedding.
  • Alyssa
    Super December 2018
    Alyssa ·
    We did it and it was a lot of fun! Most people put a buck in the hat but it was an awesome way to dance with tons of the guests who never got up to dance after that
  • Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra Online ·
    I am skipping thi because I find it awkward and dont like the whole money aspect of it if I'm being honest.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    We skipped it because it seems outdated & tacky (no garter/bouquet toss either). But if it’s popular in your families or hometown and you both want to do it, why not? 😁
  • Gloria
    Super March 2019
    Gloria ·
    I definitely want to.i was asked if I was going to do it,my business partner asked and he said try it.it’s gonna be fun my sister did it when she got married and it was a blast so I’ll definitely Doing it.
  • Nicole
    Expert July 2020
    Nicole ·

This is a tradition in my fiance's Mexican family. I refuse to do it because it's very tacky in my opinion. However, because it's a cultural tradition for his family, I said he's more than welcome to do the money dance on his own; I'll just mingle with other guests or watch from our table. If he decides to do it, I was going to write up a blurb about the history behind the tradition in his culture and place one at each table so my guests don't see it as just a money grab. If you're not from a culture that does this traditionally, I would skip it. Your guests shouldn't be asked to open their wallets at your celebration.

• Monique
    VIP December 2019
    Monique ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I agree with what Nicole said. My family is Hispanic and it is tradition to do so. However, like I said I’m still on the fence. Many people are not familiar with this as a tradition.
  • Beginner May 2021
    ·
    My future husband mentioned this ... honestly I had never heard of it before. And I'm honestly also skeptical about it, I'm not sure if I want to do it, but he also said it was tradition and his sisters did it.
  • M
    Mim ·
    Your guests should have no reason to open their wallets at your event.
  • Y
    Devoted March 2019
    Yvonne ·
    We are definitely doing it! Growing up Hispanic this was and still is one of my favorite traditions! It's a great opportunity for lots of pictures with guests and laughs and memories and I loved being involved in this small way especially when I hadn't met both people!

For those saying he can do it but I refuse. It doesn't work like that. First I'd be so judgy and ofended if I went to a wedding and a bride especially a non hispanic bride refused to do it because its "tacky" because it is one of our traditions and i would feel like you were being judgemental of us since my siblings, parents, aunts and uncles have all done this and dont deserve to be shamed as "tacky" for a tradition. 2nd most couples go up to dance together so you would be alienating a good portion of your guests from participating.
  • Monica
    Devoted July 2020
    Monica ·
    I think they’re horrible and won’t even consider doing one of those at our wedding.
  • Alexandra
    VIP June 2019
    Alexandra ·
    We aren’t doing this. I’ve only been to one wedding which had a money dance and I personally felt super awkward/uncomfortable. I know it’s common in certain areas of the country, but not where I’m from - so I was extremely taken aback by this tradition and felt somewhat pressured to give more money than I already had (flights, hotel, generous gift).

That being said, it’s your wedding so you should do what you want to do!
  • Surelle
    Dedicated September 2019
    Surelle ·
    I’ve been to a few weddings (the weddings I was at were not Hispanic, I didn’t know that it was a Hispanic tradition, others seem to have adopted it also 😊) that had the dollar dance, the maid of honor and best man collected a dollar (or however much people wanted to give) and then helped keep the line entertained and moving. It was really fun and people loved it, it seemed like a good chance to have fun 1:1 time with guests without a ton of pressure. If guests don’t want to participate they don’t have to 🤷‍♀️
  • Maggie
    Super February 2019
    Maggie ·
    I get it if it's a cultural thing but most of the time I find them to be really tacky and just kind of weird. I went to a wedding with one and it was awful - they also raffled off baked goods and it was a dry wedding. It changed the whole vibe of the wedding for me, it felt more like a sweet 16 party or a fundraiser. We left early and did not have a good time. Probably a know your crowd thing and I'm sure people who are offended can just not participate, but it also depends a lot of the type of wedding you want to have.
  • Kim
    Devoted March 2019
    Kim ·
    I've been to weddings that have done it but we are skipping it, don't really like the whole dancing for dollars idea lol.
  • Alexis
    Dedicated April 2020
    Alexis ·
    Um yes we’re going to do it. Free money.
  • Alyssa
    Master December 2019
    Alyssa ·
    This is new to me and we will not be doing it

interesting read though
  • Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn Online ·
    View Quoted Comment

Your wedding isn't meant to make money.

• Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn Online ·

I would never even consider a money dance. I can't imagine making my loved ones pay to spend time with me or trying to make money off of my wedding.

Comment on this discussion