S
Beginner July 2014

MOB attire

Sam, on April 1, 2014 at 6:40 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 28
Saved Save

My mother, MOB, wants to wear a black and white dress to our wedding. Actually, it's black on white. I've told her no white, but she insists that this isn't white. Honestly, she's been supportive about everything so far and this is the only place where she and I can't seem to agree. Am I being a bridezilla or is this worth the tension between us?

28 Comments

• Emily
    Master May 2014
    Emily ·
    • Flag

You're overreacting - there is a lot if black on that dress. I don't see a problem with it.

• Tracy
    VIP February 2015
    Tracy ·
    • Flag

No one will assume that it's a wedding dress. I don't see what the big deal is. Let her wear what she wants.

• Stephanie
    VIP August 2014
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag

I agree with the other ladies.

• Sarah
    Super August 2014
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

I would allow my mom to wear that. It's nice and she's right it's not really completely white. But it's your pictures.

• A&G
    Master August 2014
    A&G ·
    • Flag

I think it looks fine. Let her wear it.

• Future Mrs. Burt
    Super July 2015
    Future Mrs. Burt ·
    • Flag

I'd allow my mom to wear that.

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Sam ·
    • Flag

It's not about the pictures at all. Honestly, I wouldn't mind one way or the other but I think my fiancee's family will talk and I really don't want to deal with their judgement.

• Mrs.Matthews
    Master January 2015
    Mrs.Matthews ·
    • Flag

I picked out a dress to show my mom and she fell in love with it. The top is white, I don't care. I don't think anyone will think a little white takes away from a bridal gown (case and point below)

• Emily
    Master May 2014
    Emily ·
    • Flag

Why are people saying they would "allow" their mothers to wear something or not? They are grown women and can dress themselves and decide what to wear on their own. How ridiculous.

Also, the "rule" about not wearing white as a guest was intended to mean that guests shouldn't "upstage" the bride in a big, white gown. It was not intended to mean that no one is allowed to wear ANY white but the bride. I feel that brides need to gain some perspective on this issue as many tend to overreact about dresses such as this one. This dress does not give any sense of trying to upstage.

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Sam ·
    • Flag

Okay, but she's not even going to wear the jacket, and it's ivory just like my dress. Still no big deal? Really? I guess it doesn't matter what I want, or if my in laws are going to question me on why my mother can't dress herself properly.

• Caylin C.
    Master August 2015
    Caylin C. ·
    • Flag

Maybe I'm crazy, but I wouldn't want my mother to wear that dress. I wouldn't fight with her over it or anything, but if she asked my opinion I would let her know that I was uncomfortable with it and see if we could find something else she likes.

• Emily
    Master May 2014
    Emily ·
    • Flag

Yes, really. The dress has black all over it. It's fine.

• Stephanie
    Master November 2014
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag

You are entirely overreacting. No one is going to think that your mother is the bride.

• L
    Just Said Yes July 2014
    Lexi ·
    • Flag

First off I would like to say that Sam Z is actually my mother and is talking about my wedding and this is the dress that she would like to wear. Second she HAS NOT been supportive of everything, and this isn't the only thing we haven't seen eye to eye on. The first dress she picked out was a red carpet gown with a bust cutout that went straight down to the navel, and she yelled and cried because Brad and I told her that we didn't want her to wear something like that. just a few months after Brad I got engaged she told me that I shouldn't marry him.

At her wedding 15 years ago the grooms family all wore black and to this day it still makes her cry, The only thing I have asked of her is the she not wear white, or black (note that those are the only colors she is willing to pick from) and I don't think that's too much to ask. I have even offered to pay half the cost of her dress. Everybody is talking about how I'm overreacting and it's not such a big deal or how I'm not being willing to compromise, however Nobody seems to realize that she is NOT compromising either. There have been several other dresses that she has looked at that we both liked, and that aren't white or black (the Only colors that I would prefer she doesn't wear) I can't help but feel that she is using this dress as a way to punish me for not listening to her and "running while I still could.

P.S Mom, pretending to be me is SO far out of line I can't even.

• L
    Just Said Yes July 2014
    Lexi ·
    • Flag

Also, No its not about pleasing my in laws. When I talked about my guests I said I didn't want to have to hear about it if or when people talked.

And yes it does matter if my mom is wearing something I feel so strongly about in my pictures, as I'm going to have to look at them for the rest of my life.

I'm sure all of you ladies are lovely and kind and I mean no disrespect, but I did not solicit your opinions because they aren't what matters to me.

I told my mom that she should wear whatever she wants because I clearly can't MAKE her do anything, but I also told her how I feel about it and she gets to live with it. I'm not going to suddenly be okay with this just because she wants me to.

• Tracy
    VIP February 2015
    Tracy ·
    • Flag

This is like a soap opera now. Maybe you should take your family issues offline. Or keep trolling. Up to you.

• Emily
    Master May 2014
    Emily ·
    • Flag

This is just too bizarre now. In reality, no one here gives a crap what your mother wears. The first post asked for opinions and that is what people gave. Go argue with your mother outside of an Internet forum.

• Laura
    Master November 2013
    Laura ·
    • Flag

Well that took an interesting turn. I'd be more worried if she wanted to wear that hat.

• TiffanyShay
    Master October 2014
    TiffanyShay ·
    • Flag

LMAO wow. I love the twisted turn of events. I'm still going to give my opinion even though it clearly doesn't matter... Personally, I would not want my mom to wear that. I wouldn't argue about it one bit but I would let her know that I would prefer she wear something else. I don't think its out of line. I wouldn't start a fight over it though.

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Sam ·
    • Flag

Given that I have not named any real names, I see nothing wrong with posting what is essentially a hypothetical scenario on an anonymous site to see what objective people will think. You know, run it up the flag pole and see who salutes. No harm, no foul.

Thank you all for your input. I think I got the objective answer I was looking for, before this turned into airing dirty laundry in semi-public. I know what I need to do.

Comment on this discussion