Stephanie
Savvy May 2017

Mixed Feelings About Unplugged Ceremony/Wedding

Stephanie, on June 23, 2016 at 8:18 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 57
Saved Save

I've seen the arguments for an unplugged ceremony. Flashes going off, people leaning down the isle, maybe ruining the photographers shots. These make a lot of sense, however I think their are benefits of others taking photos. I think its enjoyable being able to see photos right after it happens and from different angles ( as the video/pictures take quite some time to be edited). What do you think about this? Do you think a compromise can be made? Such as a sign that says no leaning in the isle or flash photography.

57 Comments

• ChristinaS
    VIP April 2017
    ChristinaS ·

It is pretty common these days for people to take pictures; as long as they don't have the flash on or cause some sort of commotion it is probably fine.

• K
    Devoted June 2016
    Kim ·

If it's inside I would have someone telling people as they come in. Our wedding was on Saturday and was outside. We did not announce anything about being unplugged, although we considered it, and I am SO happy we didn't! We have seen so many pictures and amazing videos that our friends took that we would have otherwise missed. I get that people can get in the way of the photographer but as far as I'm aware, that didn't happen for us. Friends got shots pre ceremony that photog didn't get because she was busy checking off my list. Again, ours was outside so I can see how inside flashes would be an issue. Long and unhelpful response I guess. Lol.

• JennV
    Master October 2017
    JennV ·

I'm choosing an unplugged ceremony because I want people to be enjoying our ceremony with us and not looking at it through their phone. I also have a paid photographer for pictures and prefer them to not have people's phones in them

• Jay Farrell
    August 2019
    Jay Farrell ·

I see no benefits of NOT doing unplugged. If you are hiring a professional photographer, why do you want the added commotion and obstacles during a time that you want to be sacred? Would there *really* be any value to a bunch of cell phone snaps from people who don't have the trained eye? It's not like you're being mean to anyone or collecting their precious phones at the door. It preserves the integrity of the ceremony. In the end, you will probably get better photos from the pro because of it. You either value that or you don't, that's the deciding factor IMO.

• Teaowl
    Super October 2016
    Teaowl ·

We're having an unplugged ceremony. Officiant is making an announcement before the start. So people can still take pictures before and after. I just think it would be nice to have 15 minutes without everyone on their phones. Yes, we might miss some good photos and have to wait to get ours from the photographer but I'm okay with that.

• ChocolatierKT
    VIP September 2016
    ChocolatierKT ·

If you say unplugged you likely will still have some people taking pictures but will be more subtle and not lean in aisle

• Bee
    Master April 2017
    Bee ·

The unplugged ceremony is usually just for the actual ceremony. They can take as many pictures before and after the ceremony. Unless they plan on being out of their seats and follow the photographer around, the angles of those photos will most likely be shitty quality. They will also risk blocking someone else's view by having to document everything for a 20 min time span.

• Jacqui76
    Master May 2016
    Jacqui76 ·

I didn't have an unplugged ceremony. Didn't have any of the problems that people are always describing. My stepmom was the only guest taking photos (and she probably would have been the one who disregarded a sign asking not to). She got some great pics, and I got to see them before my pro photos came back.

• NowASeptMrs
    Master September 2015
    NowASeptMrs ·

We didn't have an unplugged ceremony and it was just fine. It was nice to get pics from our guests perspective and our photographers didn't miss any shots. Guests were also able to get photos of other guests while our photographers were solely focused on us.

At my brothers wedding the photographers camera broke and my cousins had my camera and got the only pic of their first kiss.

• Celia Milton
    August 2019
    Celia Milton ·

Unplugged all the way

• MizzzCara
    Master June 2017
    MizzzCara ·

At the end of the day there are pros and cons on whether or not you should do it and it's personal preference.

• Ololufe
    VIP August 2016
    Ololufe ·

I'm on the fence about this so i have decided that our officiant will say silence all cell phones and turn off your flash. Please remember your cellphone may block people's view, please be considerate of people around you. I know a lot of people would like to take pictures since most of my family live out of town and i don't want to stop them BUT then again i don't want the commotion described by prior posters. I talked to my photographer and he said he didn't mind people taking pictures and he has learned to work around it. What gets to me the most are people with i-pads OMG. If i see an iPad up at my wedding, especially recording i am going to give the biggest stank eye.

• Samantha
    Super June 2016
    Samantha ·

We didn't have an unplugged wedding because our ceremony was outside so it didn't matter with a flash, and everyone stayed out of our photographers way. People know not to be in the way. And I really love the photos our friends and family took of our wedding.

It is totally up to you guys on if you want to have one or not. I didn't have one and it turned out great!

• AshMar
    Master April 2017
    AshMar ·

#TeamUnpluggedCeremony

• Stephanie
    Savvy May 2017
    Stephanie ·

Thank you so much for all y'alls opinions so far. You all make very good points. My ceremony is in a chapel so flash would show. There is probaby other brides on the fence and this thread is definitely helpful!

• Kathleen Smith
    August 2019
    Kathleen Smith ·

Hi Stephanie. I have been to weddings where an announcement was made to guests in the beginning that guests taking pictures was ok but please be respectful of the professional vendors the couple have hired. There did 't seem to be any problems from what I could tell.

Jeff and I spent a fortune on our photographer and LOVE the images he got. However, during our 1st Dance, a guest got a random shot of Jeff and I. They printed it and mailed it to us. It is a beautiful candid and one of my favorite images from our wedding. I guess I'm on the fence too about unplugged weddings!

• Tea Time at the Peacock Room
    Devoted August 2017
    Tea Time at the Peacock Room ·

I would go unplugged, but it's up to you what you prefer to do. I went to a wedding recently that wasn't unplugged and it turned out really great. As for possibly making signs telling guests your wedding is unplugged, you don't need to go that far. Just have the person who's marrying you, right before the ceremony starts kindly make the announcement. Less things to worry about on your big day.

• JulyPittsburghBride
    Super July 2016
    JulyPittsburghBride ·

Unplugged! Especially if you have a ceremony in the chapel. We're having a religious service in a church and definitely want to preserve the sacredness of our ceremony! I know more people who regret not having unplugged than who do.

• MISS2MRS.<3
    VIP August 2017
    MISS2MRS.<3 ·

I vote for unplugged! Be in the moment. Let the professional photographer do his job.

• Rachel DellaPorte
    August 2019
    Rachel DellaPorte ·

If I could like Jay Farrell's comment 10 times, I would. I think of so many photos that I've seen of brides walking down the aisle. On both sides of her, there are people staring into raised phones, and they're smiling at an image on a tiny screen while the real thing, in all of her glory, is passing them by. I am 100% in favor of allowing the professional photographer to be the only one shooting the main event. He/She will capture the emotion and nuances that will only occur at the ceremony.

At the reception, as long as the guests aren't crowding the photographer or obstructing his/her shots, let them snap away.

Comment on this discussion