Ashley
Beginner February 2018

Menu tasting at Venue

Ashley, on Dec 7, 2017 at 5:03 PM Posted in Planning

Ok question for anyone out there! My fiance' and self went to a menu tasting at the end of September. It was a disaster! Our wedding is going to be at a country club in Las Vegas that has a high F&B minimum...at least for us but its probably at least a 1/4 the price of what we would be paying for the same thing where we live in Orange County California. When we returned home I looked at the pictures of the dishes b/c the wedding director was talking to me about anything else but the food!! We complained went for a second tasting and it was much better, the lady was still mean to both my mom and I but Ive learned through out this planning to pick my battles wisely....my question, is it appropriate to ask for a discount since we had to make a second trip out there? It wasn't just us that complained, 6 other couples did as well resulting in that chef being fired. Below is a picture of what the first dish came out looking like during our first tasting.....its $165 per plate meal BTW.

Share:

21 Comments

• Mrs. Fall Bride
    Super October 2016
    Mrs. Fall Bride ·

That looks disgusting lol. No presentation at all, and it just looks like soggy mush. What even is that? And how was the wedding coordinator mean? Is the issue here the food, or her?

That said, no, I don't think it's reasonable to ask for a discount on your per-person cost just because you made 2 trips out there. If anything, you could *try to* ask for some reimbursement for your travel expenses for the 2nd trip, but I'd doubt you'd even get that. They fired the chef and replaced him with someone who is presumably better, so really, what more could you expect?

PS- this posted twice, you should hide the other one.

• Erin381
    Master September 2016
    Erin381 ·

While I agree I am not sure what that dish is... I do not think you can ask for a discount.... they fired the poor chef and made things right before your wedding.

• Missy
    Dedicated July 2018
    Missy ·

I think that looks gross, you're right to be upset but I do not think they will offer you a discount just because that poor quality seems like it's not going to translate to the wedding since they fired and rehired.

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·

That is gross; it looks like bad campus cafeteria food. What is it?

I doubt that you'll be able to get a reimbursment. Can you do another tasting when you arrive?

• Rachel
    Super May 2018
    Rachel ·

Did you have to pay for your tastings? Is that what you are referring to? And would like the first one to be discounted? In that case, I would say yes, you should ask for a refund/ discount for that. It looks horrible.

• ReadytoWed
    Dedicated August 2018
    ReadytoWed ·

Agreeing with PP, I’m almost sure it is supposed to be some sort of risotto ...maybe ? If you had to pay for the tastings, I’d ask for the second one reimbursed.

• Ms.Fox
    VIP May 2018
    Ms.Fox ·

They were "mean" and had bad food the first time? Doesn't sound like a venue I'd want to look further into.

• Tina0610
    Dedicated February 2018
    Tina0610 ·

What even is that food trying to be?

• LuckyAK
    VIP March 2018
    LuckyAK ·

Omg ew! Is it too late to change? This doesn't look good.

• Amanda
    VIP October 2018
    Amanda ·

No but I'd be pissed if the food came out looking like that too I can only imagine what it tastes like . After tax cost pp for.me 140 in Philadelphia....

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·

What is that supposed to be?

• S
    Savvy June 2018
    Shannan ·

165 for that mess ?!?! Id have been pissed. Should get some kind of discount or that 2nd tasting free

• Constance
    VIP October 2017
    Constance ·

I'm confused. What are you asking for a discount on?

• FutureMrsHill
    Expert April 2018
    FutureMrsHill ·

That doesn't look good. What is it ?

• Rya
    Devoted April 2018
    Rya ·

Wait 144 per person? Is this including alcholol? Are you rounding your venue fees into this and dividing by the amount of people? We are doing a seated buffet mid afternoon on a Saturday and it's 49 a person in Lawrenceville Ga. So I'm trying to figure out the math here.

• Ivy
    Just Said Yes November 2018
    Ivy ·

Eww,

• Rya
    Devoted April 2018
    Rya ·

Is this a repeat post hun?

• MrsBdeG
    VIP August 2017
    MrsBdeG ·

Good luck with a discount. If people I am paying are intentionally mean, I wouldn't have booked them.

• happeningmom ·

I seriously doubt you will get a discount and you may even offend them. If you are set on this venue and complaints from others and yourself ended up getting the chef fired then I would say nothing. The remedy is there. Also, if the venue staff, or you contact was rude to you, I would base my response on whether it was a one time event to if it seems to be a constant. If you only had interaction with this person during the tasting which was not up to par then I could maybe explain her behavior as being from stress, embarrassment, etc. If it is a constant then that poses a separate issue. You will have to decide if you wish to address realizing that it may in fact make the situation worse, or it in fact could make it better. Personally if I was in this situation and had not already made my deposit, sent out invites etc I would consider a different venue. If I had already made my deposit I would think long and hard and decide if perhaps losing my deposit would be in my best interest. The ultimate decision is all up to you and your other half.

• Alforev
    VIP August 2018
    Alforev ·

The chef lost his job. I think the complaining has done enough. It's a little too late to find another venue if you're set on your date so I'd try not to start trouble with the venue where guests will be eating at your wedding.

Comment on this discussion