futurmrslowe
Dedicated December 2018

Meet the Parents

futurmrslowe, on Dec 7, 2017 at 4:07 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice

Hi all,

We have been engaged about a month and have set a date & booked a venue, but our parents / families have not met each other yet! I've gotten my parents to agree to host his parents for dinner. Is it more appropriate if he/I extend the invitation or if my parents do since it is at their house? (We all live in same metro area, so there isn't much travel involved).

Share:

15 Comments

• Keisha
    Master September 2018
    Keisha ·

Have your parents invite their guests over for dinner

• Mrs. Fall Bride
    Super October 2016
    Mrs. Fall Bride ·

I think the invite should come from the hosts.

• Munchkin9218
    VIP September 2018
    Munchkin9218 ·

If its at your parents house they should invite them.

• Amanda
    VIP October 2018
    Amanda ·

I agree the parents should invite them ..

• ArwenToHisAragorn
    Savvy October 2018
    ArwenToHisAragorn ·

Parents should invite them. FH's parents invited my mom over and she was thrilled when she got the call!

• ameretta
    Savvy June 2018
    ameretta ·

Our parents live in different countries so they won't meet until the wedding week. My FH's parents originally were thinking about visiting over Easter, but his dad is a bit heartbroken about the fires in wine country and opted to just come for the wedding.

• K
    Dedicated September 2018
    Kelsey ·

You'd just handle this like you would any other time your parents have someone over for dinner.

• Brooke
    Super January 2018
    Brooke ·

Our moms didn't meet until this past weekend and we have been together for 5 years lol

I invited both our moms to the dinner portion of my bachelorette party. If I hadn't, they would not have met until the Rehearsal dinner in a month.

If your parents are hosting, then your parents do the inviting.

• BlueHenBride
    Master March 2017
    BlueHenBride ·

I think it would be better if your parents extend the invitation.

My parents didn't meet DH's parents in person until the weekend of the wedding because they lived on opposite sides of the country. My mom introduced herself to my MIL by calling her after DH proposed, though, and his mom was incredibly touched to hear from her and get to "meet." They became text buddies after that and were already very well acquainted by the time they met in person because they had already been chatting without the facilitation of DH or myself. I think if the invitation to get together comes directly from your parents rather than through you and your FH, it will seem more genuine.

• C
    Dedicated December 2018
    Courtney ·

Ours still haven't met lol. Almost 5 years, but they're on opposite ends of the country. They'll meet the day after Christmas. Restaraunt style lol

• Aly
    Expert June 2018
    Aly ·

Honestly, I don't think where the invitation comes from matters. I think the gesture of hosting is gracious. if your parents are comfortable calling and asking them - great. If not, it's fine if you do.

• Annie
    Expert October 2018
    Annie ·

FH's parents and mine met about a week after we got engaged. We decided to all meet up at a restaurant.

You could always let your future in laws know that your parents want to have them over to dinner or have your parents call/text. Do whatever works best for you all.

• Elayna
    Devoted June 2018
    Elayna ·

Our parents did not meet until after we were engaged about 2 months. & to this day only our mothers have met. We went to look at the venue together. FFIL's schedule is whacky. Plus they live about 30 minutes apart.

• Sos0033
    VIP September 2017
    Sos0033 ·

Why don’t you just host both sets of parents for dinner?

• futurmrslowe
    Dedicated December 2018
    futurmrslowe ·

@sos0033 - not enough room! And I feel a restaurant would be really impersonal. It’s the only thing FH has asked (other than patriotic chocolate cupcakes as his grooms cake).

Comment on this discussion