Amy L
VIP September 2014

Married ladies what are you doing with your dress.

Amy L, on October 27, 2014 at 9:58 AM Posted in Married Life 0 46
Saved Save

My dress has been in the bag laying on the spare bed for a month. Did any of you ladies get your dress cleaned? Any one send there's off to the David's bridal cleaning service?

I'd like to keep mine if I have a girl I'd have it made into her baptism or first communion dress.

46 Comments

• Lisa
    VIP September 2014
    Lisa ·
    • Flag

I did a wreck the dress photoshoot at a mansion and beach at my undergraduate college with my 8 year old daughter! I didn't care to keep it...I'd rather have fun pictures to commemorate it so I decided to do that!

• Gamecock Mrs.
    Master October 2014
    Gamecock Mrs. ·
    • Flag

I literally have no idea what to do! Thanks for asking this. Mine is in a bag laying on top of the love seat in our Gamecock room/office. Dirty.

Master October 2013
    .... ·
    • Flag

I had mine cleaned at a local dry cleaner - took maybe 2 weeks and I think it was $180. Then I donated it to another bride on here (who said she'd donate it again afterward - who knows if she did). I kept my sash/belt in case I have a daughter and she wants "something old" or part of my dress but I am under no illusion that my dress would still be in style in 30 years and I wasn't going to try and store it to find out!

• rynney1979
    VIP September 2014
    rynney1979 ·
    • Flag

Lol mine's also hanging in my closet in the cloth bag the dress shop have me for transport. It's got dirt on the bottom and one tiny spot. I'm not sure what I'm doing but I want to get it cleaned. Maybe I'll put it on once a year and prance around the house like Blanche from the Golden Girls!

• L + R
    Master September 2014
    L + R ·
    • Flag

I sold mine on eBay for 30% of what I paid for it.

Here's a link to help you clean your dress without paying big bucks for someone else to do it:

http://www.weddingbee.com/2012/10/09/how-to-clean-your-wedding-dress/

I'm keeping my accessories for now to do a boudoir photo shoot in my cathedral veil and jewelry for DH soon.

• DanieGee
    VIP October 2014
    DanieGee ·
    • Flag

I was just thinking about what I should do with my dress. It's just been in the spare bedroom since we got back from the wedding!

Debating on keeping it to be turned into a baptismal gown (my cousin is a seamstress and offered to do this) but we have a couple gowns floating around in the family, so I might not need this. Also debating on selling it or donating it, or just paying it forward...

• Elizabeth
    Super September 2014
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

The shop I bought my dress from offered a discounted price on preservation if I bought it when I picked up my dress. It was around $180. Three weeks after the wedding I took my dress and veil back to the shop. They shipped it to the preservation company and I should get it back in about 8 weeks. After that I'm not sure. I'll store it or decide to sell it. I don't think it can be altered into a dress I can were on anniversaries.

• Mrs.K
    Dedicated September 2014
    Mrs.K ·
    • Flag

I'm going to get mine cleaned and preserved. I don't want to sell my dress or give it away. The place where I bought my dress gives a 10% discount if you bring in a picture of you in the dress so I will take advantage of that. Once I get it back I'll just store it somewhere.

• Samantha
    Master May 2013
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

I wanted to donate it, but when I mentioned it to my mom, she started crying. So I got it cleaned and preserved and it's now sitting somewhere in my parent's attic.

• J&B
    Master September 2013
    J&B ·
    • Flag

I donated mine to Brides Against Breast Cancer -- http://www.bridesagainstbreastcancer.org/

• Mrs.Temme
    VIP September 2014
    Mrs.Temme ·
    • Flag

I ordered a preservation kit from Alfred Angelo's. Theirs is only $129. Not sure why I'm preserving it, only that I can't bare to get rid of it. I'm planning to use the cathedral length mantilla veil as a canopy over my future babies' cradle.

• LadyMonk
    Master September 2014
    LadyMonk ·
    • Flag

I hand-washed mine in the bath tub!!! It's a $500 dress, so paying over $100 in dry cleaning makes less and less sense. So far it's in the top shelf of my closet. I don't know what I'll do. Keep it for a while, anyway...

• LadyMonk
    Master September 2014
    LadyMonk ·
    • Flag

BTW, I handwashed it with a non-scented, non-coloured version of Sunlight dish soap. I didn't use any of the chemical products from Mrs. Mason's weddingbee link. The dirt stains came out, except for a few under the skirt that wouldn't be seen if the dress was actually on somebody.

• Z
    Master May 2012
    Zoe ·
    • Flag

Mine is cleaned and in a big box in the attic. I really wish I'd sold/donated it at the time (I got married 16 years ago-- I just come here for entertainment Smiley sexy), cause now I'm sure it's out of style and no one wants it, even for free. Smiley sexy

My advice: get rid of it. The chances of a daughter or daughter in law wanting it are *mighty slim*, and even making it into an outfit for a baby is unlikely, unless you do it while you're pregnant, cause once you have the baby you'll be too overwhelmed to think of it. Smiley sexy

• S
    Master June 2015
    Sara ·
    • Flag

I love all the ideas about using your veil/accessories! i know i'm probably going to keep my dress, but i have no idea what i'll do with it.

• SunshineJenn
    Master August 2014
    SunshineJenn ·
    • Flag

My dress has been hanging in my closet (dirty as hell) for about a month. The prior month, it was squished up in a suitcase in the spare room.

I want to get it cleaned, but I'm cheap and lazy.

• Chantel
    Master May 2014
    Chantel ·
    • Flag

This is going to sound bad... I don't even know where my dress is. I assume it is in one of my mom's closets, but I couldn't put money on it. Wherever it is, it's dirty. I wanted to get it cleaned and donate it, but I'm something like SunshineJenn.

• Donna
    Super September 2014
    Donna ·
    • Flag

My lovely gown is in the spare bedroom in its bag. It only has a few dusty marked on the train so I may just hand wash it & keep it for now (thanks for the hand washing tips).

• heidi
    VIP October 2014
    heidi ·
    • Flag

I loved my dress too much to do a Trash shoot. And preserving it just seems silly. I definitely don't want it sitting in a box for years to never see the light of day again. I'd love to find someone who loves it as much as I do and pass it on to them.

• Munkos
    VIP September 2014
    Munkos ·
    • Flag

Mine is going to angel gowns once my local chapter is accepting new dresses, to give all the sweet babies born sleeping something that fits to be buried in.

I will be keeping a small piece for my own daughter should she decide she'd like to incorperate it into her own day, (a long time from now I hope!!)

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics