Mrs. Chumley
Super July 2013

Marriage license???

Mrs. Chumley, on August 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM Posted in Married Life 0 13
Saved Save

So we got married in Texas a week and a half ago and we live in KY, in Texas we had to go to the clerks office and get the certificate then have our officiant sign it and mail it off, I have it to him last Thursday and he has assured me that it's been mailed but the office still hasn't received it, I really think it should have been there by now but I call back everyday as advised and they have yet to receive it, I really can't wait the 8 weeks it takes to receive it so I'm waiting for them to get my certificate in the mail so I can have a certified copy picked up by my aunt that lives there. HAS ANYONE ELAE DEALT WITH THIS? how long before yours was received? I'm afraid he lost it or sent it off late and just didn't tell me

13 Comments

• Mrs.J
    VIP June 2013
    Mrs.J ·
    • Flag

I live in NYC and we received our marriage certificate back five weeks after we were married.

• Me&Mrs...MrsJones
    Dedicated August 2013
    Me&Mrs...MrsJones ·
    • Flag

Can you call the officiant and ask if he sent it? Just let him know you're worried it was lost in the mail. Ours said he would send it within a week and the clerks office said they process daily so it would be a short wait.

• Mrs. Chumley
    Super July 2013
    Mrs. Chumley ·
    • Flag

I text him and he said its in the mail so I text him again Friday to ask when he sent it and got no response I text again today either the same question and no response yet, I hate being a bugaboo

• Samantha
    Master May 2013
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

Ours had to be postmarked within five days of our wedding date or else it was invalid. I'm anal so I asked our officiant to give it to me and I mailed it myself. I was able to go to the courthouse and get a copy within three weeks.

• Soonyee
    VIP June 2013
    Soonyee ·
    • Flag

Well, you are dealing with a gov't. agency here and it takes them a lifetime to get stuff done. You weren't married that long ago, I would give it a little more time.

• Mrs. Chumley
    Super July 2013
    Mrs. Chumley ·
    • Flag

Your wise Amy, shoulda coulda woulda, Samantha maybe I should wait a couple more weeks to freak out but they should have at least received it within a couple days, if I don't get on my FH's insurance within 30 days of wedding I have to wait until next yer and of course the license expires after 30 days

• Mrs. Hawkins
    Expert June 2013
    Mrs. Hawkins ·
    • Flag

Like Amy V, we took ours in person before we left the state of Florida and went back to Georgia. We avoided any list in the mail or delays.

• Celia Milton
    January 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

A professional officiant will always make sure that your license is filed. I let no one take their license except my international couples who can take it back to NYC and get their license immediately. I never send them certified anymore unless someone asks me to, because half the time the bar code never got scanned.

Don't freak out yet. It's summer. People are on vacation. Things take longer. If your officiant sent it within five days, he probably sent it on Monday July 29th or the 30th.

Start the process with your insurance company and let them know that you're waiting for the real copy of the license to come through. I can guarantee you that you will not be the first person who has told them that.

If you have a receipt for the wedding (in NJ, you do get one) then send them a copy of that for now.

• M
    VIP May 2013
    Married ·
    • Flag

I was a little concerned about it because my officiant was from FL (our wedding was in IL) and I was nervous he'd forget to send it. I didn't even think about it until I got back from our HM. We don't get certified copies back, we have to pay for them and go pick them up (yay for Illinois!). When I called they said it had been received and filed Monday, May 6th...two days after the wedding. I was happy. I'd definitely be frustrated if I were you. If you don't get an answer back from your officiant and if the clerk's office still doesn't have it in a few days I'd call your officiant and not be so nice about it. I mean...it's the difference between whether or not you're legally married. Kind of a big deal.

• Celia Milton
    January 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

Many officiants will have you sign a release.

If you don't trust your officiant, why did you hire them?

• Mrs. Chumley
    Super July 2013
    Mrs. Chumley ·
    • Flag

I trust mine I just don't know that he has the sense of urgency I do, I also need to change my name I just hope it doesn't take much longer

• Courtney
    Devoted June 2013
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

I was married in Texas and we had our back before I even returned to work. It was to us in the mail a few days after we got home

• Celia Milton
    January 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

You have to keep in mind that you're dealing with a number of places that things can slow down; officiant, the mail, the town, the mail again. I'd give it a little time.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics