Terra
Expert September 2020

Making Your Groom Unique

Terra, on March 25, 2019 at 11:03 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 13
Saved Save

Hey guys. I'm sure this has been posted about before, but I'll bring it up again. When it comes to attire, how does your groom differ from his groomsmen? Or does he? I know that with us gals, it's normally pretty obvious who the bride is (y'know, the one in the white dress), but for guys there doesn't seem to be a standard to set him apart. Does your FH's outfit differ from his GM? If so, how? All I can think of are different colored ties and/or pocket squares, but what about for more casual events? I'd love to see lots of photo examples!

13 Comments

• H
    Savvy May 2019
    Hayley ·
    We are having the groom's attire differ from his groomsman. FH wanted to use this as an opportunity to buy a new suit, but I couldn't justify making his groomsmen buy the same thing. Instead, I picked up a vest for FH to wear (in a coordinating color) that the groomsmen will also wear with the pants that match. They'll all have the same color shirts and ties...(she says confidently, though having failed miserably to find a shirt FH likes). I think it will be more affordable for them and help with the more relaxed vibe I'm going for.
  • Katelyn
    Dedicated April 2019
    Katelyn ·
    FH is wearing a dark gray suit and groomsmen are wearing light gray. Their ties are the same, but pocket squares are different from FH. Also, after attempting to find brown dress shoes for him to match all his groomsmen, he finally decided to go back to his comfort zone and got a pair of lizard exotic dress boots. So needless to say he'll stand out a lot more than the rest of them.
  • Meagan
    Expert May 2019
    Meagan ·
    Groom and groomsmen are all wearing the same suit. My FH is wearing a vest, pocket square and a blue floral tie. The grooms men will not wear a vest no pocket square and they have solid blue paisly ties. Heres so pictures we took while picking things out.

Making Your Groom Unique 1

Making Your Groom Unique 2
  • Carol
    Devoted October 2019
    Carol ·
    FH will be wearing a different color tie and red Converse. They will all be wearing navy suits, but groomsman and bridesman will wear mustard ties and black dress shoes.
  • V
    Super July 2019
    Veronica Online ·
    My fiance and groomsmen are all wearing black tuxes. The groomsmen are wearing red tie, vest and pocket square. The best man is wearing a red tie and vest and silver pocket square. My fiance is wearing a black tie and vest and white pocket square.
  • Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    I left that up to my FH honestly if he wanted to be different or match. He wound up deciding to match everybody with all the details.
  • SummerBrideInAutumn
    Rockstar October 2019
    SummerBrideInAutumn ·
    FH and his groomsmen will all have on black tuxes with black vests but FH will have a black bow tie and his guys will have black skinny ties.
  • Sara
    Super October 2019
    Sara ·

My FH is going to have a slightly larger boutonniere, and we might do something to make his tie/pocket square stand out. But he's planning to wear the same suit as the rest of the boys.

• Future Mrs. K
    VIP June 2019
    Future Mrs. K ·

It's personal preference. I'm having all our guys in the same tux.

• Danielle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Danielle ·

Our guys are wearing: tan linen vests, white button up shirts, blue jeans, and boots. To set me FH apart from the rest, his vest will be white.

• Nemo
    VIP August 2018
    Nemo ·

He looked the exact same as his guys, except his boutonniere was tiny bit different. I know my H, and he definitely didn't want to stand out. He is very traditional and also very nervous that so many eyes would be on him, so matching his guys was perfect for us. Neither of us are a big fan of the groom looking totally different than the rest of the guys.

• Hannah
    Dedicated July 2019
    Hannah ·
    The groomsmen are all wearing light grey. My FH will be wearing a full suit. The groomsmen will not be wearing a full suit, they will just have white button ups, matching ties, and suspenders. That way they are matching with color, but easily differentiated.
  • Rita-Jean
    Devoted May 2019
    Rita-Jean ·

FH and his groomsmen are going to be in black tuxes, but while the other guys are going to be in white shirts with either black or dark green vests with dark green regular ties and pocket squares, FH is going to be in a black shirt with with an ivory vest and bowtie. FH is more comfortable in dark colors anyway, so it works out well to differentiate him. We were originally going with a white vest and bowtie for him, but when I ended up with an ivory dress, we changed it, lol.

Comment on this discussion