AJ
VIP September 2018

Lost My Engagement Ring

AJ, on July 4, 2018 at 10:34 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 21
Saved Save
You guys...I was on the lake today and sometime between the last 20 minutes in the water and me walking back up to the cabin, I lost my ring. 馃槩馃槶馃槶 We hung out very close to the dock in waist - deep water but there's a lot of silt and even with a magnet and the small area we couldn't find it.

it's not a big monetary loss (it was a $20 moonstone ring) but I cried so much because well obviously it's my engagement ring...I'd always told him NO FANCY RING because i would have constantly been scared something like this would happen and surprise surprise, it did.

Is it something I should replace? I feel like I wouldn't love it as much because it wouldn't be the "real" ring. But I'd been wearing it for 20 months, and there's still 3 months until the wedding...I don't want to go without a ring for that long. But I also wasn't going to wear it with my wedding band because of the rings unique shape, so in 3 months I'd not be wearing it regularly anymore...

21 Comments

• OG Gretchen
    Super June 2018
    OG Gretchen
    • Flag

I'm really sorry that happened. I would be upset too.

• J
    Devoted August 2018
    Jillian
    • Flag
    I personally would replace it but it is completely up to you! Are you able to get an identical one?
  • AJ
    VIP September 2018
    AJ
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes, it was from Amazon and they still sell it. I had to have the original resized (which cost almost 3 times as much as the ring itself) because it isn't available in half-sizes, but I might not need to with a new one. It had been spinning a little on my finger recently and I think it slipped off in the water from now being slightly too large.
  • AJ
    VIP September 2018
    AJ
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you :/ I think it would definitely have been a much worse situation if I had a more expensive ring and planned to wear it forever, so better that it's happening to me than a different bride but ugh it still stinks. It just needed to make it 3 more months and then live in my momento box...
  • Colleen
    Master September 2019
    Colleen
    • Flag
    I would be upset I accidentally flushed a ring he gave me once and I cried. I would replace it with a identical one. Even if toy don鈥檛 wear it after you get married you may want to have it as a keep
    sake.
  • Gen
    Master June 2019
    Gen
    • Flag
    I would replace it too! For the future, you should get a silicon ring to wear when you鈥檙e swimming or anytime you鈥檙e afraid it may fall off
  • Laura
    Devoted August 2018
    Laura
    • Flag
    That sucks. But maybe replace it because (1) that鈥檚 devastating and (2) it sound important to have the symbol (bc it is!). They make these really cool rings for active chicks like yourself. We looked into Enzo rings. Maybe consider one of those. It could be totally different and act as the ring you wear when you鈥檙e in the water etc.
  • A
    Expert September 2019
    Anna
    • Flag
    I鈥檓 so so sorry that happened! Do what you feel is right. You and your future spouse can get a new one together? It may not be the original but I think if you want a new one for the next few months finding one together and going on the adventure would be nice!
  • muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel
    • Flag

Are there any people who do metal detecting where you were at the lake? There are ads here on Craigslist all the time.

• AJ
    VIP September 2018
    AJ
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I'm not sure. I might get a large strong magnet and go back myself. Not sure if it works on sterling but worth a shot.
  • muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Sterling can be up to 7.5% metal other than silver so it depends on what that metal is. Standard sterling is silver and copper and is not magnetic.

• MrsPreach2018
    Master August 2018
    MrsPreach2018
    • Flag
    I'm sorry, I would be upset. I would think about replacing it, personally.
  • Lourdes
    Dedicated August 2018
    Lourdes
    • Flag
    I am so sorry that happened! I would be hurt too.
  • C
    Master July 2018
    Cuoghi
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    You need a metal detector, not a magnet. Silver and gold are not magnetic.
  • Lacy
    Super December 2018
    Lacy
    • Flag
    I'm so sorry. I'd be devastated. I agree that what you need is a metal detector. I really hope that you find it. 馃檨
  • thyia
    Super August 2018
    thyia
    • Flag
    My heart sinks when I cant find mine. So silly how something so small can mean so much to us! But it is what it symbolizes, and your love still exists, let reality settle and then decide what you should do. You never know, someone might find it and turn it over to you!
  • Neffe
    Master July 2020
    Neffe
    • Flag
    Oh no, I鈥檓 sorry to hear about this! I would replace it just to be able to have a tangible symbol of your union. Don鈥檛 worry; everything will work out fine.
  • AJ
    VIP September 2018
    AJ
    • Flag
    Thank you everyone. My good friend also suggested i try panning the bottom with a mesh colander if i can't get ahold of a metal detector. If I can't find it i will replace it.
  • magnolia5
    VIP June 2019
    magnolia5
    • Flag
    I'm so sorry!
  • Allie
    Super September 2018
    Allie
    • Flag

Aweee!! Smiley sad i would so so sad! I would repurchase it honestly.. but i totally get where your coming from!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics