Kylie
Savvy February 2020

Losing weight for the dress

Kylie, on September 10, 2018 at 7:43 PM Posted in Fitness and Health 0 28
Saved Save

So I tried on dresses last week & was actually a lot more comfortable than I thought I'd be. The big day is a year & a half away, & I don't necessarily have a "goal weight" or even a "goal size" for my dress, but I'd certainly love to get rid of a couple of pounds, tone a few things, just generally look my best. I'm not going to go on any sort of extreme diet or exercise regimen, but if anyone has any tips & tricks to share, I'll take them! Smiley smile

28 Comments

• Rebecca
    Just Said Yes March 2020
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag
    I’m with you girl!! I’m getting married March, 2020 and also tried on some dresses this week. I’m also hoping to just tone up and generally feel a little bit slimmer. I think my plan right now is to focus on eating better and weight lifting. I’m also following along for whatever advice people have about what has worked for them Smiley smile
  • Emily
    Dedicated October 2019
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    I'm in the same boat! My wedding is October 2019 and I just bought my dress this past weekend. I felt so much more comfortable than I thought I would, but I definitely need so recommendations for toned shoulders and arms so I'm following along as well!
  • Kylie
    Savvy February 2020
    Kylie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I'm starting out slow -- walking more (I walk 3 miles to work most days, & back home after if I get out before dark) drinking more water, less sweets. I have a bunch of at-home workouts pinned on Pinterest but tbh I'm really bad at holding myself accountable for solo workouts; I'm much better with going to the gym, but we're not super close to one. So until I figure that part out, it's just a LOT of walking.

• Mrs. Sarantos
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. Sarantos ·
    • Flag
    The best thing I’ve done without an official plan is just waiting 16-18 hours between dinner and eating the following day. Like eating dinner at 6 and then having lunch at noon with nothing in between. I lose weight pretty easily like that.
  • Kylie
    Savvy February 2020
    Kylie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Arms are big for me too, & the dress I fell in love with has a semi-exposed back option (unless I put the panel in behind the corset) so I want to tone that a little bit more Smiley smile

• Kylie
    Savvy February 2020
    Kylie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

If that works for you... cool I guess. Personally, I've done that & ended up with an eating disorder so thanks but no thanks. I'm trying to focus on one or two things without ending up in relapse.

• E
    Beginner May 2019
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    I have been off and on the keto diet for the past year.. and actually have lost almost 30 pounds. It's a low carb diet. It is really good for losing fat. Every time I'm on the diet, I normally can lose 10 pounds and end up stalling out and take a break from the diet. I need to focus on toning... My wedding is May 2019, I need to get on that! 😲
  • Mrs. Sarantos
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. Sarantos ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Right now I’m doing a challenge for fit girls guide on instagram. There’s the community and accountability. But it’s still working out and changing the way you eat.
  • Kylie
    Savvy February 2020
    Kylie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Like I said, hope it works for you! I'm just not going to follow suit on the whole not eating for 18 hours thing. (Especially in addition to working out! Honey, fuel that beautiful body if you're gonna make it work that hard!)

• Haaley
    Expert December 2019
    Haaley ·
    • Flag
    Check out Kayla Itsines! I love her BBG. I haven't tried her SWEAT app but her community is very positive about it.
  • augbride
    Super August 2018
    augbride ·
    • Flag
    My tip would be find something you enjoy and holds you accountable! Sign up for a 5k and follow a training plan, pick a work out class and go consistently, sign up for a Rec league etc. I’ve always done triathlons so signed up for one a couple months before my wedding so it kind of forced me to work out consistently but I also loved it!
  • Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly Online ·
    • Flag
    If you’ve struggled with an eating disorder in the past I would be really careful. Make sure you’re eating 3 balanced meals a day and find a physical activity that you enjoy and makes you feel good! Also make sure you’re taking care of yourself emotionally. I’ve struggled with an eating disorder for 15 years and wedding planning has made behaviors resurface. It’s so easy to fall back into.
  • Kylie
    Savvy February 2020
    Kylie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I'm glad I'm not alone in the struggle out here Smiley smile I've made a lot of really great strides in my recovery, & I'm doing really well at recognizing my old behaviors when they start to pop up. I also got rid of my scale a couple of years ago & have been trying to focus more on the way my body feels. That helped a lot. Wedding planning definitely makes it easy to slip up though.

• Kayla
    Kayla ·
    • Flag
    I use The MyFitnessPal app. You just record your calories. It will scan bar codes on most packages. I just Try to overall be a healthy eater in general and watch what I eat Less amounts of fast and or processed foods. I struggled with some ED as well so I work really hard to just eat clean. It does have you enter your weight and a goal weight but the main thing is it keeps you accountable of what you put into your body. Lastly Water Water Water!! I try to drink a gallon or 8 bottles of water a day! That’s when I feel My best.
  • Kylie
    Savvy February 2020
    Kylie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Calorie counts are personally a trigger for me, but I've found that just trying to eat mindfully -- trying to take time to ask my body what she wants & listen to her, & eating more slowly so she has time to tell me when she's full -- has been really good for me as sort of a counter to that. & yes, water water water!! Smiley laugh

• Sarah
    Dedicated October 2019
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    Best advice get you a personal trainer! Since July I’m down 5 lbs. went from 23% body fat to 18% body fat. 3 inches in my waist and thighs!
  • M
    Just Said Yes March 2019
    Mikey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's great improvement so far. Did you use anything to reach in this position? I have heard and seen people use products to recover weight. Are they helpful?

• Sarah
    Dedicated October 2019
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Nope just exercising at the gym 2x a week for 1 hr with my personal trainer and jogging for an hour in the morning most days in between the gym. I also cut out soda and fast food replaced with salads or wraps from subway for lunches. I drink a ton more than water as well and try to stay away from sweets and useless carbs
  • S
    Just Said Yes September 2019
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

I follow this lady on instagram Lauren Simpson who is actually the world champion for figure competitions (so she know what shes doing) She has these 8 week fitness programs for about 100$ Where she gives you constructive workouts for the gym with instructional videos and Macro based meal plans with a whole bunch of options for your body type and taste palette, including vegetarian. I really love this program because she creates this forum with all the other ladies doing the program so you have support as well as promoting healthy lifestyle habits that will last after your wedding!

• DC Wife 10.27.18
    Master October 2018
    DC Wife 10.27.18 ·
    • Flag

My tip is to be realistic and set real goals. I was sure that I wanted to lose weight but, I'll be honest - when the wedding stress kicked up the wine and carbs started looking really good! I've made it to where I want to be but beat myself up quite a bit for wavering. Be realistic. Don't get a dress that is too small. This is the best advice my stylist gave me. I'm so glad I listened. You can always get it adjusted. It'll just put more pressure on you.

Comment on this discussion