We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

L
Just Said Yes March 2019

Looking for help! Invites and extras????

Liliana, on July 4, 2018 at 8:53 AM Posted in Planning 0 17
Saved Save
Hi! I got engaged 2 days ago and am trying to get ahead before I get behind so we are already looking into invites. I am thinking about ordering them but some of the packages come with a schedule, a menu, and seating cards. So my question is are those all really needed/recommended? We are trying to keep our budget as small as possible. Please help! Send any advice or recommendations/places my way! Thanks!

17 Comments

• Mags
    Super July 2018
    Mags ·
    • Flag
    The invitations should reflect the type of wedding you're having. Without a venue, date or time, I would highly recommend waiting. Establishing a budget is the 1st step, then venue, then date.

Congrats and good luck!
  • L
    Just Said Yes March 2019
    Liliana ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!
  • B
    Expert September 2018
    Brittany ·
    • Flag
    I made my own inserts and got an invitation off Shutterfly during 50% off sale Smiley smile
  • L
    Just Said Yes March 2019
    Liliana ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh nice!!!! That's the type of thing I want, sales Smiley smile thanks.
  • Lacy
    Super December 2018
    Lacy ·
    • Flag
    Congratulations!

Websites like Vistaprint and Minted have some really cool designs that allow you to pick and choose which items you want to order. We did our STDs from Vistaprint and got lots of compliments on them. They also frequently have sales. You can also order customized templates from Etsy and have the invites printed at a local print shop so you're getting exactly what you want. Vistaprint also allows you to upload your own design.

You're going to need to know everything about your wedding first, though. Date, venue, formality, general theme/feel. We stuck for the most part to the colors we chose when first starting to plan, but the overall feel of the wedding changed drastically as we got deeper in.

Good luck and happy planning!
  • L
    Just Said Yes March 2019
    Liliana ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks for your help!
  • Erika
    Expert April 2019
    Erika ·
    • Flag
    Congrats!! I agree with previous posters that you'll at least need your venue, time, date and overall vibe of your wedding before ordering.
    That being said- getting ahead is a great feeling! We used Vistaprint for Save The Dates and got them on sale. They turned out really nice and we got lots of compliments. We were going to use them for invites as well but found a great deal online from Ann's Bridal Bargains. They are seal and send meaning no envelopes, detachable RSVPs for guests to return and cost effective!
    I would suggest getting an idea of your budget and going from there. 😊
    Good luck and have fun planning!!
  • A
    Dedicated July 2018
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    I made my own invites, rsvps, and detail cards myself. Saves SOOO much money. It cost me about $100 total! Got a template on Etsy for $5, downloaded and printed from home on cardstock, cut them with a $20 paper guillotine, bought pockets and envelopes from cardsandpockets.com about $60 and put them all together.
  • A
    Dedicated July 2018
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    Here’s a Pic

Looking for help! Invites and extras???? 1
  • Ingrid
    Super September 2018
    Ingrid ·
    • Flag
    Definitely check out minted! They always have 15-20 percent off sales. And you can pick which cards you need. I skipped the accommodations, reception, etc cards because I thought my invitation had enough details on them. I did an RSVP card though because I’ve heard that people are less likely to RSVP if you do it online. For now, I think I would focus on the save the dates though, since you just got engaged.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    Zazzle has awesome sales too, almost every week.

If you buy online, design what you want inside your account then wait for a sale... then buy ‘em! (Sign up for their newsletter to find out about sales)
  • L
    Just Said Yes March 2019
    Liliana ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ohhh wow, I think that's actually something we would actually really like. The detachable RSVPs and seals so we dont have to use envelopes. Thanks!
  • L
    Just Said Yes March 2019
    Liliana ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That helps a lot! We really dont want the accommodations or reception cards either feel like our family and friends dont really need that since it's going to be a very small wedding. Thanks for the advice!

• L
    Just Said Yes March 2019
    Liliana ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Great idea thank you!
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

You're welcome! I also paid for Zazzle Black ($9.99 for 1 year of shipping). Helped a lot when I needed to just order 1 or 2 extra things; I hate paying for shipping. Through Zazzle we bought Save The Dates, invites, Thank You, custom drink coasters, menu, programs, etc. At least once I got invites at 60% off.

DW invite (upgraded ink option, totally worth it)Looking for help! Invites and extras???? 2

invite suite for local reception (regular ink was fine)Looking for help! Invites and extras???? 3

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

No, I don't think any of those are necessary. For us, we are doing a big sign for our day of schedule, a menu & seating card at each seat. But they totally aren't necessary!

• Neffe
    Master July 2020
    Neffe ·
    • Flag

Hi Liliana! Welcome to the WeddingWire Community! Smiley ring I agree with the suggestions about searching other vendors/sites to have the opportunity to actually choose which options you need. Are you thinking of going for a specific theme for your design?

Comment on this discussion

Related articles