SOON.TO.BE..MRS.Johns
Devoted March 2014

let's talk about STD's

SOON.TO.BE..MRS.Johns, on July 7, 2013 at 6:13 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 25
Saved Save

STD's....are they really necessary? I am on a search for some now and am being told by various people that they are a waste of money. What do you think ladies?

25 Comments

• Marie
    Savvy September 2013
    Marie ·

I sent out STD's to everyone I planned on inviting to the wedding; which I regret now. I still think it's helpful for SOME guests. If I could go back I would have ordered just a couple and sent it to out-of-town guests and friends I knew wanted them..

Some of the people I sent it too even mistook them for the official invites even though it only had 3 sentences on it, one being "formal invites to follow" :/

• mrsrobinvalentine
    Master February 2014
    mrsrobinvalentine ·

Well, I like the idea of the STDs for a couple of reasons. People don't have to respond but most will. As a matter of fact, at my FSIL Holiday Cookout, me & my FH was told my several of his family members that they received the magnet STDs and love them. I received calls from my family telling me the same thing that they received them & what they will diff be at our wedding. It gives you a heads up; on who will be able to come or not. Funny, we have extra STDs just in case some guest won't be able to attend. We will have the choice to send out additional magnets.

• Alycia
    Expert October 2013
    Alycia ·

I woul avoid them unless its a DW or on a holiday, etc. std=invite so if your budget changes you can't change your guest list. Unless you are 110% sure on your list and budget I'd skip them

• BalletShoesRachel
    VIP September 2014
    BalletShoesRachel ·

We will be doing STDs; I think they're quite helpful. RSVP cards, on the other hand.... x-P

• Maggie N
    Master August 2013
    Maggie N ·

I think they're necessary if you actually want to make sure people save the date- however, even though we sent them out, I am still questioned every day about "what's your wedding date again?" So when I think about it, they may have actually been a waste of money!

• Brittany
    Super August 2013
    Brittany ·

Not necessary really, unless you know that you have family who are out of town or who have to plan their vacation time for work way early....that kind of thing.

• Lexie
    Devoted September 2014
    Lexie ·

I am sending out STDs because all of my family and bridal party and some of FH's family are coming from at least 4 hours away and will have to plan to travel and make accommodations. We are sending them to the parts of FHs family and groomsmen that live a hop skip and a jump from the venue because they will boohoo and cry if they don't get one and be offended.

We actually live 4 hours from our venue but are doing it near FHs family because if it wasn't convenient for them, they wouldn't come.

• TheNewMrsJ
    Super August 2013
    TheNewMrsJ ·

I regret sending it to all my guests...6 months later there were some people we really didn't need to invite. Funny how things change so quickly. I wish I would have just sent them to DEFINITE people I KNEW I would ALWAYS want to come to the wedding no matter what. So my word of advice is...yes they are too cute, just send them out wisely.

• kahlcara
    Master August 2013
    kahlcara ·

We didn't send them. We checked our date by close family and WP before we booked and told other friends, etc by word of mouth. I was just kind of overwhelmed at the time and we had just started planning so it didn't occur to me. We have a lot of people from out of state (wedding's in MA, most guests seem to be from NY or PA). Some people aren't coming but I'm not sure if they would have if we had sent STD's either, it's a long trip and expensive for a hotel for a weekend, especially when you are just out of school as most of our friends are. You can always send your invites a few weeks early and if someone asks, you can always give them hotel info, etc ahead of time.

• Allyson
    Master May 2014
    Allyson ·

We're sending them because our wedding is Memorial Day Weekend and we have quite a few OOT family members. By the time they get the invitations, I'm afraid flights will be really expensive.

• ashlee
    Master January 2012
    ashlee ·

In our circle, they are definitely standard... but almost all of the weddings we have been to in the last couple of years have been DW.

i think they are pretty necessary if you are having a DW or a wedding over a busy travel time (spring breaks, july 4, memorial day etc etc)...

we sent ours out a year in advance for our DW so that guests had time to decide if they even wanted to make the trip, and have ample time to budget for it.

• RachelT
    Super May 2014
    RachelT ·

For DW and for holidays I say yes, otherwise I wouldn't bother. I have received save the dates for the last few weddings I have attended. Yes they are cute, but I don't think they are really necessary.

For me they just seem like an added cost that I would rather spend on something else.

• Leanna
    VIP March 2014
    Leanna ·

I wanted to do STD's because a lot of my guests travel around that time of year. Some of my guests are OOT too so they are definitely getting an invite. I have a few people on my list that are maybe's so they won't be getting a std just an invite. I made my own and they cost I think $0.50 a pc. I can't find a pic and they are all put away They came out really good

• S2B Mrs.Ansah
    Dedicated April 2014
    S2B Mrs.Ansah ·

I definitely think yall should!! Especially the magnet kind it just give them an everyday reminder of yalls date. Other then sending the official invite and it end up in somebody's draw. N you know your wedding is not as important to them as it is to you. So if y'all at least want the minimum guest count to come and not waste your money....I say SEND THEM OUT! Now you don't have to send to everybody...like co works or family members that u talk to weekly cus as youll talk the date will be embedded in their heads .

• CeCe
    Master May 2014
    CeCe ·

We are having a destination so we are sending STDs

Of course our guest list is rather small and consists of family members and only our best friends. If I have any reservations about inviting someone then I'm not sending them a STD yet.

• MistysoontobeBell
    Master October 2013
    MistysoontobeBell ·

I like STD's for letting people know ahead of the invitation. Here are ours....

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·

I think they are not only unnecessary, but counterproductive. The advantage is supposed to be that people don't schedule other things for your wedding date, save up for the cost of getting there, etc. But the fact is, your wedding is not a big enough priority for most people to do those things. And the few people for whom it is are probably people you see/talk to often enough so they already know when your wedding is.

Conversely, STDs lock you into a guest list a year or so before your wedding. Your relationships with people can change after that. You can have unexpected expenses, or one of you could lose a job. Or you may just discover that everything about weddings is more expensive than you anticipate. Nevertheless, once you send an STD, you are locked in to inviting that person.

STDs may look inexpensive. But if they cause you to have to invite someone you'd otherwise have dropped from your guest list, they are very expensive.

• wp2014
    Dedicated May 2014
    wp2014 ·

I don't see the point in STDs, they are like sending two invitations.

• Z
    Master May 2012
    Zoe ·

Totally not necessary-- the people closest to you (family, best friends) will know the day long before you even get them sent out, and others will most likely just toss them out and either be free or busy as chance dictates.

• Hot chocolate
    VIP November 2013
    Hot chocolate ·

I think mailing them out is an unnecessary expense. However it depends. We sent our via email on Pingg. That way we can see who viewed them and it pops up on people's smart phones. LOL. below is a link to our online stdate

http://www.pingg.com/view_announcements/7fkjg77e72w3kdjr5/index

Comment on this discussion