SOON.TO.BE..MRS.Johns
Devoted March 2014

Lace Gowns... what's the issue?

SOON.TO.BE..MRS.Johns, on October 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 53
Saved Save

I am a proud owner of a Maggie Sottero lace number. While I felt s connection to my dress comments about lace gowns make me second guess it some days. I hear they are dated, look like doilies, table cloths, curtains, are country (which I don't mind. .. I'm from Houston. .lol).

What do you ladies think?

53 Comments

• HEIDI&KYLE
    Expert November 2013
    HEIDI&KYLE ·
    • Flag

I love lace gowns!

• Shannon A
    Master May 2014
    Shannon A ·
    • Flag

Don't listen!!!! look at the post somewhere on here that's titled "can i see some dresses?" or something like that. TONS of girls on here have lace gowns!!! and they are gorgeous!

• About to be Mrs. Nic
    Super September 2014
    About to be Mrs. Nic ·
    • Flag

I think lace gowns are beautiful and timeless, PLUS they photograph beautifully. Sometimes other materials can look too shiny in pics.

• Lacey
    Master May 2014
    Lacey ·
    • Flag

I have a Maggie Sottero lace dress - I LOVE it. But, I don't think it really looks like a table cloth or anything. I'll attach a picture of me in it - it's unaltered so it should look better once it's made shorter and fitted! : )

ALSO, I don't think they all are country - I'm going for vintage and not country one bit and I think it looks good. Be confident and rock your gown!

• Mrs.L
    Master October 2011
    Mrs.L ·
    • Flag

I didn't like lace when I first went dress shopping, but now I am kicking myself. I LOVE them. I don't see why I didn't see how gorgeous they actually are! I even want to buy a second dress, it's lace. Don't listen to anyones comments. They are gorgeous!

• P
    Super March 2014
    Poppet ·
    • Flag

I'm personally not a fan of lace because of how it feels, especially on the bodice. The only lace bodice I tried had a curved/frayed effect trim to the sweetheart neckline and the entire time the dress was on me I wanted nothing more than to tuck/cut that damn bit to a smooth finished line.

I'm a comfort person, personally don't find lace comfortable and I much prefer chiffon and/or satin. Hence why most of my formal gowns were satin - certain timeless comfortable grace to red satin with a hint of chiffon.

• WeddingDestinationItaly
    Master May 2014
    WeddingDestinationItaly ·
    • Flag

I love lace it is vintage, romantic, timeless. Its my favorite and I hope I will like it on me as much as I do on so many other brides. I love tulle and lace together... The only fabric Im not really a fan of is Satin but who knows I might end up with a Satin dress. Its whatever feels beautiful on YOU!

• WeddingDestinationItaly
    Master May 2014
    WeddingDestinationItaly ·
    • Flag

Very pretty Lacey! I definitely will be trying on some Maggie dresses next month!

• Goodbye
    VIP October 2014
    Goodbye ·
    • Flag

My gown is all lace. Obviously I love it lol.

• Michelle
    Master April 2013
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

I like certain lace. Some is aged its all on the style of the dress and lace pattern.

• Mrs.G
    VIP August 2014
    Mrs.G ·
    • Flag

My gown is lace and I think lace is elegant classic and beautiful... Idk why people talk down about lace

• GettingHitched
    Super November 2013
    GettingHitched ·
    • Flag

It depends on the lace. Some lace is I think looks horrible. Some is beautiful. it all depends. If you love it, who cares!

• C
    Master July 2014
    csquid ·
    • Flag

I love lace gowns. I'm planning on getting one for my second dress.

• MrsMartin101213
    Super October 2013
    MrsMartin101213 ·
    • Flag

Lace is timeless and stunning!

• sundaycupcake
    VIP October 2013
    sundaycupcake ·
    • Flag

Lace is beautiful, don't listen to the naysayers!

The day before my wedding I was watching an episode of My Fair Wedding and the bride had the exact same dress as mine. David Tutera called it "plain and boring" - the day before my wedding! I was so sad!! But I got over it and of course all my family and guests thought it was beautiful. After I got all our pictures back, I couldn't have picked a better dress.

You'll just have to brush off the negative. Know in your heart that you have the right and perfect dress for you!

• Rubicole
    VIP August 2014
    Rubicole ·
    • Flag

I have an all-lace gown. Love love love it! I never pictured myself in satin, I tried a couple and didn't care for them at all. I can't wait for my dress to arrive in a month!

• MarianiBride
    VIP June 2014
    MarianiBride ·
    • Flag

I find I'm drawn to lace gowns! Kinda surprised me because I had that old lady doiley thought...I think it just depends on the lace pattern

• mscountry
    Master July 2014
    mscountry ·
    • Flag

I love lace! My dress is lace i see it has vintage and country but never a table cloth.

• Gamecock Mrs.
    Master October 2014
    Gamecock Mrs. ·
    • Flag

I was sure I wanted lace. But wanted all-over lace, not "half-assed lace" as I said to the day at DB. My dress has a little bit of lace on the back and hips. Guess I got half-assed lace. FH seemed to make those table cloth comments so I guess it worked out. I still love it though.

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·
    • Flag

I'm wearing lace. I didn't expect to love it, but I do.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics