Ekab
VIP November 2017

KWR: For those of you with long hair...

Ekab, on September 19, 2016 at 11:24 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 58
Saved Save

How do you sleep at night? No, really, how? I'm trying to grow my hair out for the wedding and it's trying to strangle me while I sleep. Last night I was having horrible nightmares all involving a lack of oxygen, only to wake up to my hair attempting to murder me. Obviously the easy answer here is "put it in a pony tail" but that gives me crazy sleep headaches and neck issues, anyone have a different suggestion?

58 Comments

• AMW
    Master September 2016
    AMW ·
    • Flag

Actually putting it in a ponytail will cause breakage. Wear a headscarf when you sleep and get a satin pillowcase.

Or cut it, because nightmares about your hair strangling you for the next year is so not worth it.

• Zaz
    Master October 2016
    Zaz ·
    • Flag

My hair is past my hips, so I definitely qualify! LOL

Do you tend to toss and turn a lot at night? I generally sweep mine to the side of the pillow before I fall asleep, so I'm not lying directly on it. The only time I have a problem is if I roll over and get it caught under me, but that doesn't happen too often.

I've NEVER put my hair in a ponytail before going to bed, and I don't think I could either (also have head and neck issues). Maybe a really loose braid?

• Ms. MRose
    Super April 2017
    Ms. MRose ·
    • Flag

Lol! I have very long hair and I normally either do a very lose braid or a low ponytail. It normally holds somewhat during the night even though I toss and turn a lot. Granted I look a bit frazzled in the morning when I wake up, but it works.

• Michele
    Expert November 2016
    Michele ·
    • Flag

Hahaha, I know exactly what you mean! I'll catch myself on mine too when I'm laying on my back. I try to sleep on my stomach as much as I can though. I usually flip my hair over my shoulder and that helps a little.

• Danielle
    Expert May 2017
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

I look like a who from Whoville when I go to bed, but I flip my head upside down and tie my hair loosely with one of the hair ties that I've attached below. My ponytail lays on top of my pillow, away from my face and neck. When I wake up, no awkward ponytail line!

• mlw
    Master December 2016
    mlw ·
    • Flag

My hair is naturally curly and hits the top of my butt in the shower. I pull mine back in a loose low ponytail at the nape of my neck using one of the smaller looking scrunchies from the 90's. It's basically a regular thick seamless ouch less ponytail holder but covered in a fabric. They are looser and therefore I don't end up with a "dent" in my hair... lol

• MNA
    Master April 2018
    MNA ·
    • Flag

I leave mine loose and toss and turn, and have never had that issue!

I tend to sweep it all up above my head though, because if it gets caught under my back and I can't freely move my head, I ftfo. Like, bad. It doesn't stay up there all night, but it's better than waking up panicking from my hair.

• ChocolatierKT
    VIP September 2016
    ChocolatierKT ·
    • Flag

Lol I put it all above me on pillow

• ChocolatierKT
    VIP September 2016
    ChocolatierKT ·
    • Flag

I once ended up spinning sideways and DH ended up laying completely on it. It was terrifying to wake up and not be able to move lol

• DestinationBride
    Super December 2016
    DestinationBride ·
    • Flag

Braid it. Smiley smile

• HoneyLife
    VIP October 2016
    HoneyLife ·
    • Flag

I put mine above my head on the pillow as well!

• mlw
    Master December 2016
    mlw ·
    • Flag

Oh, yeah Danielle. I believe they call that the "pineapple". My curly haired daughters do that Smiley smile

• Wombat
    Super May 2017
    Wombat ·
    • Flag

I leave it down or I put it in a loose braid

• Ekab
    VIP November 2017
    Ekab ·
    • Flag

I toss and turn like crazy, and I typically try to toss it up over my pillow to keep it as out of the way as possible, but because I toss and turn so much its almost a moot point.

I had never thought about a pony tail breaking hair, but that makes a lot of sense!

• french horse
    Master October 2017
    french horse ·
    • Flag

I put mine up in a loose bun at the very top of my head to preserve volume. I flip my head over, gather all of it (minus my bangs, which I pin back) in a ponytail, and then stand up straight to wrap it with a hair tie. I either use the same kind Danielle posted above or a regular, no-metal one BUT I only wrap it twice so it's super loose - it turns into a bit of a super ridiculous fan bun ( kind of the like pic below) but it stays nearly all night.

I have pretty thick hair, so there's no way I can sleep with it loose because it would strangle me like yours does or end up in my mouth - ew.

• CMC
    Master November 2016
    CMC ·
    • Flag

Braid it! Or I will twist it into a very loose bun, which works for me because I sleep on my side.

• O&L
    VIP September 2016
    O&L ·
    • Flag

I too sweep mine up and above me over the pillow like pp said. You really get used to and won't even notice it after certain length.

• MrsNerd
    Master October 2016
    MrsNerd ·
    • Flag

I can't sleep with it down because when I feel hair on me, it freaks me out and makes me itch lol. I would put it in a loose braid and use (don't laugh) a scrunchy! It won't pull or damage, and a braid won't cause breakage like a ponytail will

• VJ
    Super November 2016
    VJ ·
    • Flag

I do a loose messy bun that ends up falling out by the end of the night because I toss and turn so much, but I tend to grab the stragglers and pull them above me over my pillow and it'll usually stay up there all night. If I sleep with my hair down I tend to suffocate FH with it... He doesn't appreciate that.

• Robyn
    Super October 2017
    Robyn ·
    • Flag

I just leave it down now but growing it it from the pixie cut was horrible. I had a hard time sleeping with it down but I eventually got used to it. I accidentally whip FH is the face all the time tho lol

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics