Cathy
Devoted October 2019

Kind of Sad About Shower...

Cathy, on January 9, 2019 at 2:01 PM Posted in Parties and Events 0 20
Saved Save
I was just going through my list of friends, and I just came to a sad realization: I don’t really know enough people to make it worthwhile for my fMOH to throw me a shower. Too many people live out of state, and I am not close to anyone at work. The list of potential guest was about six people-my Mom, future sister in law, MOH, and a few people I know through my fiancé.

I kind of want a shower because this will be my first marriage, and this is kind of a traditional. But with only eight potential guests, it doesn’t seem worth it to do a full shower. And there is no guarantee that everyone will be able to attend. I don’t want a depressing event with just me, my maid of honor, my mom and future sister-in-law, but it is certainly looking that way.

Any ideas? Is it even worth it to do a shower for so few people?

20 Comments

• Mrs. Sarantos
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. Sarantos ·
    • Flag
    I had an engagement party with just three of us lol and it was still super fun! We all live in different states.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    My two friends took me & my mom to a brunch out and it was so fun! We went to a cute tea house & they decorated our table with adorable fairy decor. With a small group, a shower at home or in a hall might be awkward so how about brunch out at a nice restaurant or afternoon tea & sandwiches at a fancy hotel? ☕️ 🍳 🍩 🥂
  • FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag

I think it would still be amazing. What about something more low-key at a restaurant? Or a tea party at someones house? Mani/pedis? Showers do not have to be big events at all. Make sure it's comfortable with the host, but honestly there are plenty of ways to have a great time with the women in your life even if that circle is small.

• JustKidding
    VIP April 2018
    JustKidding ·
    • Flag

I had maybe 16 people at my shower.

Just have a lunch shower. Go out for lunch with those you want to be there, and open gifts. Still have a shower and it's lower key.

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    I think 8 people sounds like the perfect guest list
  • Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper ·
    • Flag
    I had a 12 person shower and it was so freaking awesome to get to spend a little time with a close knit group of people that I love Smiley smile
  • Maggie
    Super February 2019
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    8 people actually sounds really nice. Even 3 people would be a good time. There's way less pressure so itll be easy for you to relax and actually be able to spend time with the people there. As a guest it's nice too because you can talk to the bride to be. I had a much bigger shower and to be honest I didn't really enjoy it. I had to make my rounds and as a result I didn't feel like I got a chance to actually talk to anyone.
  • Yoice
    VIP March 2019
    Yoice ·
    • Flag
    My bridal shower guest list is 13 people including myself. That is with grandma and all family included. I estimate to have at least 10 attend. I want a pj slumber party with night snacks, fancy fort, throw pillows, braid station and movie nights with inflatables and lots of wine. You don’t need that many people to shower you and have a fun time together. I say go for it.
  • S
    Dedicated January 2019
    Sandy ·
    • Flag

I have 3 BM, 1 from different country and 2 from different state. I too really want a shower because I never had a party for myself for yearS (I don't do bday party or anything LOL). But after looking at the potential guest list it could be just 8 or 9 people too (assume my 2 BM flying in, 2 friends with toddlers, my sister who would need to change her work schedule, and my mom who will feel awkward due to language barrier), and not to mention I have a super small registry. In the end instead of a shower I decided to have a fun weekend getaway: Day 1 - skiing with my 2 BM at big bear (my first time!), Day 2 - Full Spa day with my 2 BM and my sister (we went to a really nice one with 10+ pools). I gotta say that was one of the best decision I ever made because we ALL LOVE it and agreed it is more fun than planning a shower or go to Vegas.

Do what you feel is right, and I do think a small group is nice because you got to spend time with each other! Smiley smile

• Porterpoppin
    VIP March 2019
    Porterpoppin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

This sounds fun and different! that way you won't feel sad that people aren't there but enjoying time with those 6 people that you know would be there for you Smiley smile

• Angerra
    VIP August 2019
    Angerra ·
    • Flag
    I think a guest list of 8 sounds great! What about doing your shower at a local restaurant that can accommodate you and your friends?
    You can do your shower however you want and invite as many people as you want, big or small.

Kind of Sad About Shower... 1
  • M
    Just Said Yes May 2019
    Megan ·
    • Flag

I literally just had the same realization yesterday. I might do a shower with just the 10 people I have in town. With such a small guest list I will hopefully be able to find a day that will work for most of them.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I would do it! You'd have less guests, so you could have a nicer shower! And they'd be your nearest & dearest! Even if it's just something small, I still think you should have one if it's what you want!

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree! Brunch or tea service out with a few girls is so lovely. It's the perfect time to indulge in fun finger sandwiches and scones (and bubbly or tea--or both). Smiley heart

fairy shower brunchKind of Sad About Shower... 2

• A
    Dedicated June 2019
    Alejandra ·
    • Flag
    You could do just a small get together with the people on your small list, or you could change the shower from bridal to couple's (have your FH there with the people he plans to invite) It just depends on what your MOH can do for you.
  • Alejandra
    Super March 2019
    Alejandra ·
    • Flag

My Bachelorette Party was my sister, my 4 cousins and me! Thats all I needed, I would have loved for my in laws and my mommy to have gone but we had a nice Las Vegas weekend, my mom has Rheumatoid Arthritis so she would have stayed in a lot and my in laws were short on cash but honestly I've never had fun like I had with small group. I mean assuming you all get along fine. It was only going to be my sister and myself for the 4 days but then at the very last minute they joined in.

• Laura
    Rockstar October 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag

It's definitely worth it. I'm not having one this time, but my first marriage I did. I ended up having two, one here with my family and friends, only about 25 people. It was fun and I got nearly everything I registered for. One with my exes family and friends because they wouldn't come here. I knew two people there, my ex who I made go, and my cousin. The rest were his relatives and friends of his mom. It was more of a kitchen shower which got us pretty stocked. I say go for it and have fun

• Kim
    Devoted March 2019
    Kim ·
    • Flag
    I know the feeling... I'm the same way. In the end have the shower if it makes you happy... Otherwise there's no penalty if you skip it!
  • Bronte
    Just Said Yes November 2019
    Bronte ·
    • Flag
    If you want it then do it! It doesn’t have to be a huge crowd to still have fun! Smiley smile as long as your with the ppl you love it’ll be great! Do it!
  • S
    Savvy January 2019
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    I would! You could have a small fun shower! 😁

Comment on this discussion