Soon To Be Mrs. Stewart
Devoted August 2021

Kids invited yay or nay?

Soon To Be Mrs. Stewart, on January 17, 2019 at 5:17 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 135
Saved Save

So I was only going to do wedding party kids (which covers all nieces, nephews and kids of the wedding party) invited, but my groom wants to allow kids but just set a time kids have to leave by. What are your thoughts? When would you say kids have to leave? Are you inviting kids or not?

135 Comments

• Kenisha
    Champion June 2019
    Kenisha ·
    • Flag
    Uhhhhh I’m always going to be on team #NoKids !!
  • OnCloudRawls
    VIP June 2019
    OnCloudRawls ·
    • Flag

We're only having 2 kids which are my FH's nieces and they are in the wedding party as Jr. bridesmaids. They are going 11 & 14 years old. We wanted the adult guests that have kids to have a night to relax and enjoy themselves without their kids around and there will be less mouths for us to feed.

• A
    Expert August 2019
    Ami ·
    • Flag
    A majority of my guests have to travel overnight so we left the kids decision up to them. Some will treat it as an adult vacation whereas others probably couldn’t leave their kids for the whole weekend.
  • Soon To Be Mrs. Stewart
    Devoted August 2021
    Soon To Be Mrs. Stewart ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Lol see that's the team I want to be on. I don't want to have to worry about any kids running around, knocking things over and parents not saying anything. That happens a lot at family functions. Especially since my kids are not going to be at the reception the whole night.

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    We had kids at our wedding and had no issues. I wouldn’t set a time for kids to leave because that means parents will have to leave then too. Either invite all kids, invite kids in circles (close family, people traveling etc) or make it no kids.
    Devoted August 2021
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yes I totally agree with you. I want all my guest to unwind and not have to worry about their kids. Like you said also less mouths to feed especially cause some guest have a lot of kids.

• Lindsay
    Savvy December 2019
    Lindsay ·
    • Flag
    I'm only inviting the wedding party kids and kids ages 13 and older.
    Devoted August 2021
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Understandable

Devoted August 2021
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

See that was the point I was trying to make to him once parents leave they may not feel like coming back. Which is why I said wedding party kids cause they all know how to behave and we dont have to worry about them. Thank you for your opinion.

• Kiwibride
    Super November 2018
    Kiwibride ·
    • Flag
    I think you either invite them or you don't. It's pretty much always rude to invite people to only a portion of an event which is essentially what this is doing. I think just inviting the wedding party children is a good middle ground although personally, we didn't invite any children
  • Paige
    Devoted September 2019
    Paige ·
    • Flag
    I’m only having 3 kids. My son, jr bridesmaids, and usher. Anyone else will be over 18.
  • Sherry
    Rockstar September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag

We are allowing kids for both the ceremony and reception.

• Danielle
    Devoted October 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    I have my three nieces and my nephew in the wedding party, but they will be the only kids invited. I searched and found good language for my wedding website about offering to assist with finding childcare options, if anyone needs local suggestions. I have local friends with kids and looked up a few nanny services to provide for referrals.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I just don't think you can tell people to leave by a certain time, it's super rude. You can hope they leave by 8, but you can't invite people with kids then tell them to leave. We are inviting kids, and providing a sitter from 5 PM - 8 PM. Sort of implying like hey it's late and we have a lot of rowdy young guests and an open bar so if you want to leave that's great but if you don't it's up to you. I would just not invite them if you don't want them there by a certain time.

• Cara
    Expert July 2019
    Cara ·
    • Flag
    We only invited kids of the wedding party/close family. I think if you’re going to invite kids then you need to invite them for the whole time. It’s not polite to invite them with their families but then tell them they need to leave at a certain point.
  • Monique
    Rockstar December 2019
    Monique ·
    • Flag
    We are doing no kids ages 3-10 (mind you there are no families who’s kids are separated by this) the only kids will be the ones in the wedding party
  • Brittany
    Super October 2019
    Brittany ·
    • Flag

I didn't want to have kids at my wedding but my dad wants his side of the family to bring kids and he is paying for the wedding. I can't say yes to some kids but not others...so I am inviting all family kids (sigh) lol. I am hoping that not everyone wants to bring their kids but I will be setting up a table that has coloring books and stuff like that. I agree with PP's though, I wouldn't set a time to ask them to leave.

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

Invite kids or don't, don't give them and their parents a curfew.

• Misty
    Super October 2019
    Misty ·
    • Flag
    Everyone is different. Some people love having kids running around. Others do not. Personally, I feel that an event that is extremely special and once in a lifetime… that involves serious vows being spoken, drinks to be had, and general adult moments should not include children. Nor is it an event geared toward children. But that's coming from somebody who doesn't have any. It really just comes down to what you think is best for you and your groom. If you would rather have an adult setting… definitely move forward with no kids. If you think kids will add to the day and the special moments… I would probably say putting a time limit on them being present might not be a good idea.... either in or out 100%.
  • Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper ·
    • Flag
    I don’t think there’s any good way to make them leave by a certain time — that’s basically saying all the parents have to leave at that time too, since we’re not talking about a group that can necessarily transport themselves home and take care of themselves once there

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics