We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Bre
Just Said Yes October 2020

Just got engaged new to all of this!

Bre, on December 28, 2018 at 12:36 AM Posted in Planning 0 21
Saved Save
So I wanted to know what’s a good budget for a wedding? Me and my fiancé plan on doing a small wedding under 50 ppl just close family and friends! Planning on a fall wedding! Advice please?

21 Comments

• Becca
    Super August 2019
    Becca ·
    • Flag
    Congrats on getting engaged! The budget is something you and your fiancé (or parents depending on the situation) will have to discuss. The main factor is the headcount. But the type of venue and such will have a play in your budget as well as the time of the year.
  • Colleen
    Master September 2019
    Colleen ·
    • Flag
    A lot of it depends on budget the area you live in how formal you want it to be how many DIYs there are.
  • Colleen
    Master September 2019
    Colleen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes that stuff to. Also do a guest count for sure before you choose a venue. Guest seem to add fast we are having family and close friends only other then family we each only added a few friends and I am at almost 100 guest.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    First of all, love your matching Christmas sweaters in your profile pic. Tee hee. And congrats!

50 guests is a great size. Small enough to mingle with everyone, big enough to party. 🎉 You and your fiancé need to discuss your budget (usually, what you decide to save between now and the wedding). You could spend anywhere from $5K (catered lunch or dinner in a hall) to $40K+ (luxury ballroom, 4-course meal, live band) for 50 guests.

Once you have a budget, you can discuss the type of venue and wedding style you want. If your budget is less than venues’ cost you can consider a brunch instead of dinner, or non-Saturday to save some money. 🙂
  • Bre
    Bre ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I live in Saint Paul and we want to have a fall outdoor ceremony and reception inside? But more so I’m Minneapolis
  • Bre
    Bre ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you lol I picked our sweaters! And yes I’ve notice it’s a little more spendy on weekends !
  • MissSoonToBe
    Expert May 2020
    MissSoonToBe ·
    • Flag
    Congratulations and welcome! The budget now would depend on your venue and what atmosphere you are looking for.
  • Jane
    Expert May 2019
    Jane ·
    • Flag
    Have à look at a few venues.... that will give you an idea of basic cost. A post on here a week ago was asking the price paid per head for food... I think it ranged from about 10$ to 75$
  • Britt Brat
    Expert May 2019
    Britt Brat ·
    • Flag

First Off, CONGRATULATIONS Smiley heart

Second, you can't really ask us what's a good budget for your wedding because we don't know what's in your pockets. I would say the best thing to do is visit some local venues and see what their pricing is like for however many people you're inviting and then go from there to start a budget Smiley heart

• Katie
    VIP November 2019
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    Congrats on your engagement . A budget is an important conversation to have with your FH. Don’t over spend and go crazy is my advice
  • Amanda
    Dedicated May 2019
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

As people have said before, it really depends on what you are looking for. I am doing a very small and simple wedding for about $4000 which includes the honeymoon. I found a very cheap venue with some friends giving me discounted prices on some things they offer. I also am doing everything I can on my own so I don't have to pay someone else to do it. I would say, if you are wanting simple with other people doing things, it would cost around $6-7000. If you are looking for something a little more, I'd plan on around $10,000.

• Krystle
    Dedicated October 2019
    Krystle ·
    • Flag
    Congrats! My wedding is going to be around 50-60 people and we set a budget of $10,000. Because it was a smaller group we were able to rent a private room in a fancy reaturant for the dinner reception. And we don’t care about the dancing so we didn’t hire a dj and will not have a dance floor.
  • Audrey
    VIP June 2016
    Audrey ·
    • Flag

My husband and I rented the private party space of a restaurant. We also had about 50-60 people in attendance. The total cost (venue, food, alcohol) was $3,600. As a MN resident myself, the restaurant we were at was in Minnetonka.

• Kelci
    Super June 2019
    Kelci ·
    • Flag
    We set a budget of 10,000. We have an outdoor ceremony and indoor reception with 100 guests. Our venue had a 6,000 minimum for food and alcohol. With only inviting family and family friends we met our minimum.
  • C
    Super July 2019
    Crystal ·
    • Flag
    We are penny crunching and using all of our taxes and taking a loan for the remaining amount. But we kept eveything under 10k
  • Nikita
    VIP April 2019
    Nikita ·
    • Flag

Congrats! Take a moment to let the engagement sink in, and then time to get organized! Start by:

- Setting a budget

- Solidifying your guest list

- Finding a venue & finalize date

- Finding a wedding checklist to your liking and then editing it to fit your needs

- Determine a style

- Determine non-negotiables (top three items you needs, and what you're willing to cut costs on)

I did a lot of research before booking things: I found Jamie Wolfe's youtube videos extremely helpful in orienting myself to the wedding planning world. I also discussed price points with my friends who were professionals in the field. I do not have any friend-ors, but I did want to know a price range that was reasonable. My budget goal was initially $5k for about 65 ppl, but during my research and initial calculations, I realized how drastically unrealistic that would be in my area (cheapest was closer to $7500). We increased the max to 10k, and are thankfully running low on every item line thus far. *crosses fingers that keeps up*

• Vanessasaurus
    VIP June 2019
    Vanessasaurus ·
    • Flag
    This will depend on a lot of things such as location and expectations, but I am sure you can probably do it between 5k-10k! What is your vision for the day?
  • Bre
    Bre ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I want an outdoor wedding reception inside fall time I love the change of the seasons my fh and I came up with 6k no more than 7k!
  • JustKidding
    VIP April 2018
    JustKidding ·
    • Flag

There is no universal budget. You have to set what you and your FH can afford without going into debt over a party.

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

We got matching ones last year too. "Meowy Christmas."

Smiley xd

Comment on this discussion

Related articles