Shannon S.
Master March 2011

Just for Fun: What's the Wackiest Wedding Suggestion You Have Received?

Shannon S., on March 11, 2014 at 12:29 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 61
Saved Save

When planning a wedding, everyone has advice. Some good, some bad, and some just plain bizarre. What's the craziest thing that someone suggested to you?

Examples:

When I was planning, my DH wanted a Comedy Central-style roast for the reception, where we would be the roast-ees and any guest could come up and make fun of us. I explained that people already hate wedding speeches, and having a whole reception of speeches would drive people batty.

My friend suggested to his now-wife that they have a pirate theme wedding, with stuffed parrots on the groomsmen's shoulders.

61 Comments

• Out the Window
    Master May 2014
    Out the Window ·
    • Flag

His grandma suggested we tried to get pregnant before planning the wedding.

We did have a bride here that had a cosplay pirate wedding...Seriously.

• Shannon S.
    Master March 2011
    Shannon S. ·
    • Flag

Oh, and at one point there was a bride on here whose FH wanted a robot ring bearer. Never mind that the robot would cost more than the rest of the wedding put together.

• Macksgirl
    Master August 2014
    Macksgirl ·
    • Flag

A lady from my work suggested that I buy my wedding dress off this website she found. Its based in China and all the dresses are 75% off. All the pictures of the dresses are old pictures of the model wearing them wayyyy back in the day. Its a totally flakey site. But she kept pushing it on me even when I told her "No- I have to physically try them on."

• Barbara
    Master September 2014
    Barbara ·
    • Flag

Our wedding is about an hour out of NYC, and we usually take a bus when we go there. My mom thinks I should ride the bus in my wedding dress. She brings it up at least every other time I talk to her. WTH kind of suggestion is that?

• Shaquaya
    VIP April 2014
    Shaquaya ·
    • Flag

FH suggested we have a blue jean wedding and wear jean outfits, he was dead serious too!

• CeCe
    Master May 2014
    CeCe ·
    • Flag

FH wanted to get married in waders standing in the middle of a trout stream.

I told him no.

Master September 2014
    *Rigby* ·
    • Flag

Not really "wacky" but mom told me to not serve alcohol....uuummm no thanks I want people to have FUN!!!

• FutureMrsDelpra
    Master October 2015
    FutureMrsDelpra ·
    • Flag

FH wanted to wear a fedora. I laughed in his face.

We were looking at prom pictures and he was wearing one and I was making fun of him. Very seriously he says "So, I guess I'm not allowed to wear one when we get married?". I almost peed my pants from laughing so much. I thought he was joking!

• Monana
    VIP May 2015
    Monana ·
    • Flag

A coworker told me not to have a destination wedding because someone she knew had one and got divorced a year later. Haha.

• Future Mrs. Setlock
    Devoted September 2014
    Future Mrs. Setlock ·
    • Flag

Lets just send out a group email instead of sending out save the dates! /facepalm

• Tiffany M. ( Tiffany P.)
    Master August 2012
    Tiffany M. ( Tiffany P.) ·
    • Flag

My DH suggested a medieval themed wedding with him dressing up in his knight outfit (one he built years ago for Halloween). That is fine for some people, but that is not us. That idea quickly got kicked to the curb.

• Rebecca
    Super July 2014
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

My mom wanted me to find my wedding dress from a thrift store. Before she would let me go to a actual bridal store she made me go to all of the department stores and thrift shops to see if I could find a cheap white dress that would work as a wedding dress. The dress she found and liked was a see through tank top she said I could wear as a dress and simply put a liner under it.

Another weird request from my mom was that she wanted to spend as little time with fiances family as possible because she asumes they would not get along or have the same interests even though she has never met them before. She said she would rather spend the day before our wedding hiking with a few people from my side of the family and exclude my fiances family.

• B
    Expert January 2009
    ben4514 ·
    • Flag

My SIL suggested we have a potluck wedding at a park. If she received an invite to that wedding she would have called up fuming, but she just has to suggest random weird things to try to test us. Like when she pulled an old 90s dress (I totally rocked the same one!) out of her daughters dress up box and suggested she wear it as a flower girl.

@Rigby... FHs mom tried to talk us out of having a bar because she thought we would be responsible for overserved guests. Pretty sure the reason you have it at a place with a bartender and liability insurance is because they become responsible for that!!!! And it does in fact state that on the contract. We were like, Sorry, OUR WEDDING! And opted for an open bar!

• DanieGee
    VIP October 2014
    DanieGee ·
    • Flag

FH wanted to wear the tuxes from Dumb & Dumber...it's his favorite movie. He wanted to wear the powder blue and have the groomsmen in orange.

• MnDex
    VIP October 2014
    MnDex ·
    • Flag

My dad suggested that we use the same videographer that I used for my first wedding...uh no dad...I'm avoiding any kind of similarity between this wedding and my first. Dads...they just don't get it...LOL ;-)

• Riki
    Master August 2014
    Riki ·
    • Flag

FH is hell bent on doing a dance routine. My mom keeps wanting to serve soul food. I am against both....My wedding is NOT a Tyler Perry movie!

• FutureMrsMacEwan
    Devoted July 2014
    FutureMrsMacEwan ·
    • Flag

When my girlfriend got married her ceremony was 1 hour and 45 minutes long because it included Ukranian Dancers (don't get me wrong the dancing was beautiful) but put it somewhere else in the day!

• Gamecock Mrs.
    Master October 2014
    Gamecock Mrs. ·
    • Flag

I made a post about this a few weeks ago. The crazy lady at work gave us some bride and groom beanie babies and told us to set them at the edge of my desk with a tip jar to raise money for the wedding.

• FutureMrsDelpra
    Master October 2015
    FutureMrsDelpra ·
    • Flag

Annnnd GameCox for the win Smiley smile lol

Also, Riki, I would SO come to your wedding if you served soul food!

• FutureMrsIsa
    Super September 2014
    FutureMrsIsa ·
    • Flag

This is a crazy suggestion, but its actually happening much to my dismay. FH family is mostly Asian, so being asian they eat rice with everything… We're having BBQ food at our wedding and i have to have a rice cooker full of rice for all the crazies that need rice with their tri tip and ranch beans.. FMIL insists! *rolls eyes* But i put my foot down to the chop sticks.

Now before i get comments saying that i need to respect his heritage. keep in mind his aunts and uncles are only half and he is only a quarter. And his grandpa who is full, was raised in hawaii.

Comment on this discussion