Chrissy
Expert June 2014

It's my wedding so I can start all over if I want to...

Chrissy, on June 3, 2013 at 10:34 PM Posted in Planning 0 10
Saved Save

I had a meltdown recently. FH and I live in TX, but are both from OH. We decided to plan our wedding here, because this is home. We've booked our venue, photog and DJ. Unfortunately, we learned various family members would most likely not make it and it made me start thinking about what we really wanted from our wedding. As a result, we decided to move everything to Cleveland. We found a beautiful venue that's full-service and unique (honoring our vision for the wedding), but somewhat affordable on a Friday. My parents are checking out the venue tm and if it checks out, we'll be signing a contract!! We will lose some money in deposits, but overall think we will save. I had this nagging feeling from the beginning that a TX wedding was wrong, and now I'm just SO excited to get married in Cleveland. A little bummed that we're pushing our date to 5/23/14, but it'll be good. This all probably makes me a little crazy, but I thought I'd share as a reminder to follow your heart/gut.

10 Comments

• Laudie
    Master October 2013
    Laudie ·

I'm so glad you decided to change it! You are completely right, it is YOUR wedding and you can change it if you want! Do what feels right and you will be the happiest.

• Erin
    VIP September 2013
    Erin ·

Your right! It is your wedding do what makes you happiest! I am glad you guys have decided to do what feels right.

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·

When FH proposed we had several location options, but getting married in my hometown just felt right so I pleaded my case. It was also our least expensive option.

FH is originally from Akron so we did our e-pics in Cleveland since he agreed to get married in PA.

• Alejandra
    Master May 2014
    Alejandra ·

Good for you! Sometimes these decisions are difficult, but it sounds like you made the right choice and will be having the wedding you want, which is what matters

• Mrs. Davis
    Dedicated August 2013
    Mrs. Davis ·

I finally met a WW bride near me :-)... I live in Arlington, TX but I'm from Mississippi. At the beginning I had thoughts about having a wedding here but I really want to be surrounded by family and friends. It really is your day and you have to do whatever it is to make you happy. Best Wishes

• NG
    Expert November 2015
    NG ·

Whatever makes you happy. Wish you the best!!!

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·

And what's funny is that I think it kind of had to happen this way. If we would have started off at home, we would have tried to do a more DIY place, invite a lot more people and save money on everything. I would have gone insane trying to coordinate with so many people, but I realized that by trimming my guest list to everyone that matters and doing it on a Friday, we can do it at a more-inclusive place.

I still think if things were different (more people could travel down here, we'd have more money to do special things for BP and Out of Town guests), I'd want to have my wedding in Texas (we have a wonderful beginning to our wedding planned), but that's not the reality. Keeping that in mind, we were able to find a compromise that is better more almost all of our guests, but doesn't sacrifice everything we want.

The only downside is tacking on two more months until we're finally married.

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·

@Mrs. Davis... And yay to a WW neighbor! We're just down the road.

• Candice B.
    Master July 2013
    Candice B. ·

Yes, go with your gut feeling. Good for you!! I always try to go with my gut, because the feeling a regret is awful!

• Alysa
    VIP April 2014
    Alysa ·

I agree you should always follow your heart. I'm glad you were able to find a place, and are actually saving money now. We were indecisive about where to have our wedding. We live in MI, and my family is from MI, and most of our friends are from MI. But all of FH's family is from Southern IN, and we have some friends there too. We are also looking to move to IN after the wedding. It is important to us that most of our family comes, and we would love our friends to be there too. We found out that most of his family and a few friends were willing to come up to MI, so we decided to have it here. I don't think my family would have been as willing to travel, so I'm glad his family was.

Comment on this discussion