Dani
Super October 2017

It's about BAM time! (Happy...and frustrated)

Dani, on Nov 30, 2017 at 11:08 PM Posted in Married Life

To be honest, I almost didn't bother with this. I wasn't super active in the forums on a regular basis, but I figured if one of the points of doing a BAM is to help out other brides (and grooms too), it would be worth it to do one. (Yes, this will be long.)

We got married on October 5th, in Hood River, OR and it was absolutely wonderful. The weather was perfect, which I had been slightly worried about since booking, due to our unpredictable NW weather. We invited 230 people, had 135 RSVP "yes" (which we expected around 150, so the low accept rate wasn't a shock), and about 115 actually show up (I wasn't entirely pleased with 20 no-shows, but it is what it is). Only one thing really went wrong, and it had to be my dress of all things. The seamstress wanted my off-the-shoulder sleeves to be adjustable, so she sewed the front part to the dress, and left the back free, telling us to adjust it with safety pins throughout the night, so that the straps would be tighter during the ceremony...

Share:

80 Comments

• Dani
    Super October 2017
    Dani ·

And looser during the reception, for better range of motion. Well, I had assumed she left the safety pins attached to the straps (and you know the saying regarding “ASSuming” things), which was not the case, and we didn’t realize it until I was getting my dress on. So my fabulous wedding coordinator ran around trying to come up with safety pins, and simply could only find one tiny one. So we tried to make it work… but it didn’t hold the straps in the right places, or keep them from unfolding. And the unfolding is what really bothered me, because the sleeves look awkwardly wide in several of the photos. Which brings me to my next residual wedding issue…. The photos. We hired an experienced, professional photographer, with a killer portfolio, amazing reviews, and a personality that we loved (and a price tag to match these things.) That being said….I’m a little underwhelmed by our photos. Part of this is not his fault, but a combination of being annoyed with my sleeves, and simply just me being self critical and hating how I look in photos… not that all of them were taken from the most flattering angles to begin with. But also, there were several of the same, nearly identical picture. Which, I do appreciate to an extent, so if there’s little things about a couple that I don’t like I have options. But it honestly felt like they were there to fill the picture quota, rather than because they were actually different enough to matter. Also, some of the “detail” shots seemed to be focused in the wrong places, or just set up weird. Maybe I didn’t understand the artistic element… (I’ll be posting pictures for reference). One of the most frustrating things, which I will also accept partial blame for, was that I didn’t get a lot of pictures that I had wanted. I did forget to make a list of shots I wanted, but I had also been told by other photogs to limit this list to “family shot” rather than artistic/posed shots, because each photog has their own artistic shots they like to take. Which is fair enough. But I didn’t get pictures with each individual bridesmaid (or even just my MOH and I), didn’t get shots with my FG, I bought hangers with the BM’s names on them (and had one for myself) and got no pictures of those hangers, there wasn’t even a picture of my husband’s face when I walked down the aisle. We have 2 hours left of photography time, which is great for getting more posed shots, but some of these things I just can’t get pictures of again, and that’s really disappointing for me.

• Dani
    Super October 2017
    Dani ·

(For some reason my computer won't let me upload pictures on my computer? So please hold for pictures)

• Dani
    Super October 2017
    Dani ·

Wedding party

• Dani
    Super October 2017
    Dani ·

• Dani
    Super October 2017
    Dani ·

How the sleeves were supposed to look.

• Dani
    Super October 2017
    Dani ·

• Dani
    Super October 2017
    Dani ·

• Dani
    Super October 2017
    Dani ·

• Dani
    Super October 2017
    Dani ·

Both parents walked me down the aisle, which I loved.

• Dani
    Super October 2017
    Dani ·

You can see the sleeve staring to fall out...

• Dani
    Super October 2017
    Dani ·

So... I feel like this was a weird spot for this photo. It's not centered...not even aesthetically asymmetric. It looks awkward to me...

• Dani
    Super October 2017
    Dani ·

This was when we were still getting ready, but that's what the sleeve looked like in a few pictures that I would have otherwise really loved.

• Dani
    Super October 2017
    Dani ·

This really bothered me as well.... every single picture of my dress (without me in it) was taken from the back. Now, it does have a gorgeous detailed train, but you can't even see that in ANY of the pictures. And there's about 7 pictures of it, from the back, unable to see the detail. I know I have pretty pictures of me in my dress, but this is still something I wanted.

• Dani
    Super October 2017
    Dani ·

This photo I do like, I just feel like there should have been more attention paid to the orientation of the bands. They both have tiny diamonds, and it would have been nice to see them faced correctly in the front.

• Dani
    Super October 2017
    Dani ·

This is the best picture of the hangers. You can see the names, barely, but again... It just seems like they could have done better. Maybe I'm being too picky or petty. I just feel like for what I paid, I expected better... idk. The photos are supposed to be all you truly have left of your wedding. And I feel like they didn't capture certain things. Little things, I'll admit. But still. Details are important to me, because I worked so hard on every little detail.

• zoedoublei
    Savvy August 2018
    zoedoublei ·

I love red on you! I'm sorry it's not the way you pictured. The wedding looks like it was a beautiful time though.

• Dani
    Super October 2017
    Dani ·

Also.... This is an awful picture of me... I don't see why it would have been included. I look like one of the step sisters in Cinderella.

• MrsBdeG
    Master August 2017
    MrsBdeG ·

Your hair is SO AMAZING!!!!!! Love the pictures!

Congrats!

• amandaaok
    Super June 2018
    amandaaok Online ·

You look absolutely gorgeous and the dress is amazing, I love your sleeves - even in the pics where they aren't quite what you intended it looks beautiful!

I agree with you on the off-center shot and the one with hangers should have been closer/zoomed in.

But other than that I love the photos you did post congrats!

• Dani
    Super October 2017
    Dani ·

Thank you Zoeii! It was gorgeous, and I truly think everyone had a great time.

FutureMrsSoto, I have been waiting to post the review... I really hate writing bad reviews, and clearly they aren't all bad. He's an excellent photographer. I think most of the things I ended up not being happy with, were actually from the second shooter..

Comment on this discussion