Lindsay
Just Said Yes September 2016

Italy Honeymoon - Destinations and Transportation?

Lindsay, on December 31, 2015 at 12:33 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 8
Saved Save

Hi!

My fiance and I are getting married in early September and would like to do a mid-Sept honeymoon to Italy for 2 weeks. My fiance is more into history than me, so he does want to go to either Rome or Venice... I am not into history, and have been to Rome & Venice, so I'd like to go somewhere new and relaxing like Tuscany/Amalfi Coast/Cinque Terre. As I'm researching, it seems overwhelming with the amount of options of towns to go to for Tuscany! I have a few questions:

-Does anyone have an itinerary suggestion to get in a day or two in Venice and/or Rome, and also getting a good amount of time for relaxing in Tuscany and going to the Amalfi coast or cinque terre as well? We want it to be relaxing too, so don't want to feel like we're constantly jumping locations!

-Transportation- any advice on how to get around - is it easy getting from airport to train/hotel? How do you get around in Tuscany going to wineries? Rent a car or get a driver?

Any & all advice appreciated!! Thanks!

8 Comments

• onawho
    VIP August 2015
    onawho ·

For a day or two in Venice, I would visit the Doge's Palace in St. Marks square and just walk around.

As for transport, I am a bit fan of the train system and Ryan Air. San Marco Airport on one of the island near Venice as Ryan Air flying in.

I have no experience with other locations in Italy apart from Venice, and to be honest it is not my favorite place, but for a max of 2 days it is fun to walk around and window shop. I would only go if it was convenient to travel there. We stayed at the Hotel Paganelli and it was WONDERFUL!

• T-Rex
    Master August 2013
    T-Rex ·

I'm going to throw 2 more cities your way: Florence and Verona. They're closer to the Tuscany area, have tons of history in them, are beautiful, and are not as crazy crowded as Rome.

• LizzyC
    Master April 2016
    LizzyC ·

I would recommend Florence, as it's within the Tuscany area and there is SO much to do there and around. Historical, but also modern and very close to other cities. We went touristy for the wine tasting part so we could just drink and enjoy, so we took a bus.

As for your other destinations, loved Rome and was neutral to dislike on Venice. Rome was so exciting, so much to do and see. Easy to walk around, explore, etc. Venice was lovely for a day, but you can literally walk around the island in four hours. I was so bored there. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I went to experience it, but I wouldn't go back. You could get another day out of it if you visit the other island, which we didn't do.

Regarding transportation, the only place where it's "difficult" to get somewhere from from the airport in Rome to our condo. We arranged transportation ahead of time and it was about an hour drive. Otherwise the train systems are extremely easy to navigate and taxis are readily available to take you to stations that are not within walking distance, which for Florence and Venice, they are. Hope that helps!

ETA- I haven't been to Amalfi or Cinque Terre, but friends of mine have and they loved it!

ETA Again - I don't know if you have PBS or anything, but if you ever see a "Rick Steve's" show, I really recommend watching it. He has a ton of Italy ones, and they're like a condensed guidebook and will give you a good overview of different areas. He's a little cheesy, but it's worth it

• Audrey
    VIP June 2016
    Audrey ·

What about contacting a travel agent? My FH and I have talked about going to Italy (Rome and Venice in particular) and have no clue where to start. Rather than make a guess by reading blogs, we'd rather work with someone that would have the knowledge and can get us the best deal.

• Lindsay
    Just Said Yes September 2016
    Lindsay ·

Thanks all - I am definitely interested in doing wineries & olive oil tastings in Tuscany - we both enjoy that. Any recommendations for travel agents to talk to? There are so many options - not sure how to know who is good. Also, I have found using a travel agent is significantly more cost-wise so I was trying to not use one for the trip. Trying to just get advice from others about tuscany/amalfi coast will help us to start shaping up a trip!

• Audrey
    VIP June 2016
    Audrey ·

I'm a member of AAA, so I was going to start there. I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that part of my membership fee allows me to use their travel agents at no additional cost.

• Kristy
    Master November 2015
    Kristy ·

I would suggest forgetting a tour/travel agent as Italy is one of the easiest countries to get around!

You can also make decisions while you are there.

I second (or third!) Florence. OH WOW. One cannot even put into words how beautiful and romantic it is.

Trenitalia (the train system) is FOOLPROOF and very easy to book in English. Not too many countries make it so easy! You can purchase tickets at the train station kiosk.

And to be honest... travel agents haven't always even BEEN to the places they are helping you book...they are just booking. So do a bit of research and save yourself a ton of money! It is very easy to get around Italy Have fun!

• Original VC
    Master July 2015
    Original VC ·

If you're going to Venice and want to do something different, take a boat (the public transit ones, not the private taxi ones) to the Murano and Burano islands. Burano is super romantic, secluded and has great food, and Murano is where they make the beautiful Venice glass. We spent a day there, and loved it. The Doge's palace is amazing too.

In Rome it's very easy to move around by subway. I'd suggest seeing the Colosseum and Roman Forum if he's into history, and then taking a train to Trastevere for a romantic dinner.

If you'll choose an extra location, Cinque Terre is to die for, but you really need to rent a car. If you want to travel by train, I second E-Tex's recommendation about Verona and Firenze, they're a short train ride from Venice and/or Rome. And I can't recommend enough the website Rome2Rio.com to compare transportation options and prices.

Comment on this discussion