EdubbsWife™
Master October 2011

It took me a while... but here is my advice and more pics!

EdubbsWife™, on October 12, 2011 at 8:51 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 69
Saved Save

First, let me say thank you to all of you who gave me such wonderful feedback, compliments, and help in the planning process. The first picture is for you! So as not to have a lonnng intro, I am going to post tips and pics throughout this post!

My photographer is Gina McClean photography. If you want to see our engagement pictures, you can go to wwww.gmphotonc.com and click on client proofing, go to Jocelyn and Earl's rehearsal dinner, enter your email, and enjoy.

So here goes with the advice...

69 Comments

• EdubbsWife™
    Master October 2011
    EdubbsWife™ ·
    • Flag

Slow down! Take it in.

Photobook guest book was a huge hit at the RD. We used Winkflash.com & it came out lovely! All of our guest did not get to write in it but we have been asked to bring it when we come for the holidays!

Get a DoC! Then communicate at ridiculous levels with your Day of Coordinator. Go over things more than you think is necessary. Reiterate the really important things. I mean do a “your wedding for dummies” walk through on your details, desires, & demands! It will pay off in the end. I will just say, things were missed.

Directional sign

Hotel Monitor

Obama Response

• EdubbsWife™
    Master October 2011
    EdubbsWife™ ·
    • Flag

Choose your bridesmaids/attendants wisely. We had THE BEST bridal party ever. Everyone showed us again why we are such good friends to begin with. My mother kept saying “I have never seen anything like this” referring to the way that my ladies took care of me & the guys took care of Edubb!

Give a friend your camera – we have no pics of our own & our guest were traveling so had nothing for a few days. It was agonizing! I had to beg for these!

If you do a rehearsal dinner, pay attention to lighting & get a private room with a microphone. Everything was perfect regarding the rehearsal dinner except I had to use my professor voice most of the night! I also wish we had gone ahead & got the videographer for the RD! Big mistake not to do that. My mother had some profound words & a wonderful toast that made me do the “ugly cry” that was not captured!

Newlywed game paddles (It was SUCH a hit)

Dress w/bouquet

Programs

• EdubbsWife™
    Master October 2011
    EdubbsWife™ ·
    • Flag

Spend money on/get a great DEEJAY! Ours was fantastic! He worked with me &; came up with the best music selections!

Get a videographer. Based on what I could see them taping, they did an amazing job. When things were not going the way I wanted them to, the videographer stopped me & said,”Would you like to record a message for your groom?” It immediately brought me back to what & why we were doing all this! They were an amazing couple! If they just give us raw video (which of course they will not) they will be well worth the money! Also the day goes by so fast & you can only see but so much, having them record it all is so valuable.

• EdubbsWife™
    Master October 2011
    EdubbsWife™ ·
    • Flag

Purchase linens! I got them for less than rental. I used shout on stains 3 days later & washed them all in my regular washer/dryer. If you want it to really go fast, take it to a Laundromat! But they came out wonderfully & will be on sale for ½ of what I paid. Also when you wash them, get the really cheap laundry detergent. Works fine on linens!

Put money aside for random things that come up within the last week. Things do come up & throwing money at it often solves the problem.

Pray! Remember what the day is about.

• EdubbsWife™
    Master October 2011
    EdubbsWife™ ·
    • Flag

Give your cell phone to your attendants/Maid of honor the day before the wedding. At the rehearsal we announced that we would not be on/answering our phones the day of & it worked out wonderfully. My ladies & his guys handled the incoming ridiculous phone calls from guests, vendors, etc. It was a God send!

After it is over, let the mistakes go. I am still working on this part. Some things that were SUPER important to me did not work out & I am still waking up at night thinking about them. That is such a problem but I will work through it. I will!

My parents (married 46 years) leaving the ceremony

Me waiting to walk into the ceremony room

• Jen P.
    Master January 2012
    Jen P. ·
    • Flag

May I just say that you are my favorite advice so far!!! What is that paddle game?? I'm curious! It all looks so wonderful!

• Phyllisann
    Master June 2012
    Phyllisann ·
    • Flag

Oh my, Thank you for all the advice. I love all your pics so far. I was so excited to see how your wedding day turned out, and I am so happy you had a perfect day. God Bless, and may you have many many many years of wedded bliss.

• Mrs V (Roe)
    Master August 2013
    Mrs V (Roe) ·
    • Flag

Thanks EDubbsWife (smile) for the really helpful tips. I was going back and forth between allotting the money for a videographer and you have just about sealed the deal. I would hate to not have the chance to see all of the things I undoubtedly would miss because I'm in the moment. That never occurred to me.

• Yani
    Devoted July 2012
    Yani ·
    • Flag

Thanks for the great advice, I hope to use them as my day approaches...and again, love your pics. You seemed to have wonderful people around you and I wish you and your hubby all the best that marriage life has to offer. Keep the advice coming Smiley smile

• EdubbsWife™
    Master October 2011
    EdubbsWife™ ·
    • Flag

Jen it was a game played during the cocktail hour (we do games at all of our parties and our guest have come to expect it!). The couple sits back to back and each person gets a wife and a husband paddle. Then you ask them a series of questions. The couple that gets the most right won a prize. Our theme was ingredients for a successful marriage so the prize was ingredients to make a cake. I found them in Micheal's and they were perfect! The questions were like, Who handles the finances, who got the most recent speeding ticket, who does more house cleaning, etc. and the last question is who is most likely to initiate whoopi! It was such a hoot! We could hear them laughing and playing the game while we were taking pictures. It was great!

• Rachel W.
    Master May 2012
    Rachel W. ·
    • Flag

EDubssWife, it looks like it was absolutely beautiful! Congratulations!!!

• EdubbsWife™
    Master October 2011
    EdubbsWife™ ·
    • Flag

Thanks Phyllisann and Rachel!

@Rowena I have been toying with changing my handle to just that! LOL. But yes! Get the videographer! It just goes by so fast you cannot see it all.

@IthinkIlovehim, yes. We are so blessed to have fantastic friends and family. I think the average time of having known the people in the bridal party was about 20 years! Our lifetime friends made our day ultra special.

Oh! And a word about favors! If you want them, get them. Our guest loved them. We bought too many because people didn't come who RSVP'd or we bought more to get the better rate. But none were left behind and people felt so special and honored to be leaving with a gift bag.

Anticipate that some people who RSVP will not come. We had about 15 people not show up for random reasons. In my peripheral vision I remember seeing some "emptyish" tables & then when I was looking at the left over place cards, it made me realize who didn't come! That is quite annoying but oh well.

• KKCB
    Super August 2012
    KKCB ·
    • Flag

I've been waiting for you to come back!! You looked absolutly amazing! Congrats!

• Ednabug
    Master December 2011
    Ednabug ·
    • Flag

Great advice...you need to come to Delaware and be my doc! Lol

I'm taking notes

Love your pictures.

• Soon to be Mrs. Robinson
    Savvy August 2012
    Soon to be Mrs. Robinson ·
    • Flag

Great advice...... and Congrats!!!!

• EdubbsWife™
    Master October 2011
    EdubbsWife™ ·
    • Flag

Oh, one more thing.. Edubb is now telling me what to tell yall...LOL.

ASK for what you want and develop a relationship with your vendors. I met with all of mine at least twice. I asked a lot of questions about their process, preferences, and prices! LOL. Vendors will work with you. I generally got everything I asked for simply because I asked and I was nice!

Feed your vendors. We had vendor meals and a vendor table that worked out really well. They got to eat in the room and were not cast out into the hallway or corner. Because they were at a table together they were able to do some networking!

• Juliette S
    Master February 2012
    Juliette S ·
    • Flag

Thank you for all the advice - it will be well used! Your pictures are amazing so far...can't wait to see the pro ones Smiley smile

• Future Mrs. P
    Super October 2012
    Future Mrs. P ·
    • Flag

Once again Congrats, You looked amazing, Thanks for the great advice.

• Shana
    Master October 2011
    Shana ·
    • Flag

EDubbsGirl, I totally agree with you on communicating with your vendors and getting to know them. We got to know our venue owner and when we asked if we could do mac and cheese balls during cocktail hour, he made it happen for us. Because we'd met with the photographer a bunch of times, I felt comfortable going up to her during the wedding and asking for a specific photo.

• Mrs.B-Baby!!
    Master May 2011
    Mrs.B-Baby!! ·
    • Flag

Thanks for the advice and I love these additional pics! You are so sweet and I'm happy your friends did right by you and Edubbs! May God bless you union!!

Comment on this discussion