Katelyn
Devoted September 2019

Is it okay to not have a wedding party?

Katelyn, on March 7, 2019 at 3:11 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 11
Saved Save
Do you think it’s okay for us to not have a wedding party? Our original plans were to elope in Paris then we agreed that down the road we may regret the fact that we didn’t have an actual wedding with our love ones there.
To make it special, we want it to just be the two of us at the alter. I’m afraid my life long best friend will be upset to find that she would be in the wedding party.
Is anyone else planning on not having bridesmaids and groomsmen?

11 Comments

• Kristen
    VIP April 2020
    Kristen ·

It's totally ok! We are having a WP but keeping it small, only our very best friends. (3 bridesmaids, 2 groomsmen)

• Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn Online ·
    Definitely okay.
  • Mrs. J Robinson
    Super March 2019
    Mrs. J Robinson ·
    Yes! That’s fine! A wedding party isn’t a necessity
  • 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·

I think it's easier to explain to your best friend if you don't have a wedding party at all than if you have one, and she doesn't see herself as having a large enough role.

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·

Totally ok! We didn't have a WP either. No extra stress, costs or drama for anyone.

• Alicia
    VIP August 2019
    Alicia ·

Totally ok! It's your wedding, you have total freedom to make it want you want. The only "must-haves" are the legal portions if you want to be recognized as legally married (i.e. legal officiant, declaration of intention, signing of marriage license). Everything else is fair game to be molded to how you want it to be! You do you, girl!

• Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·

It is totally okay to not have a wedding party, a lot cheaper too! Honestly, I wish I didn't have one (as bad as that sounds), but FH insisted on it.

• Courtney
    Super September 2019
    Courtney ·
    It’s totally okay to not have a wedding party. It’s also okay to have a wedding party seated in the front row in the front row rather than standing. Do whatever works for you and your FS
  • Jessie
    Devoted May 2019
    Jessie ·
    I’m only having my sister up there with me. She will hold my bouquet and the rings for us
  • Jazmin
    Rockstar April 2019
    Jazmin ·

We're not having a wedding party either.

• Jenna
    Dedicated August 2019
    Jenna ·

We aren't having a real wedding party, but my children wanted to be the best man and maid of honor so we're letting them. My best friend since kindergarten and my sister (I was matron of honor in both of their weddings) are coming to get ready with me and my daughter the morning of the wedding and helping with the things bridesmaids normally would and they are both perfectly fine with that.

Comment on this discussion