J
Savvy August 2018

Ireland and Scotland

Jacie, on May 13, 2018 at 11:38 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 13
Saved Save
Hey!!!
Has anyone been to Ireland and Scotland for their honeymoon. Just doing some planning with my MIL and would love some opinions about places to go, stay, and do!!

13 Comments

• Tara
    Master September 2018
    Tara ·
    We are olanning to go to ireland. Im using pinterest, there are different blogs and articles or best places to go, must sees, thing not to do as far as ettiquette and culture, best times to go etc
  • amandaaok
    VIP June 2018
    amandaaok ·

I had an entire post types up and it disappesred..ughhh.
    Anyway...my FH has family in Connemara Ireland (western Ireland), I haven't been there yet but love all the stories he has to tell and photos are gorgeous!

I went by myself to Glasgow, Scotland a couple years ago as a birthday trip, 10 days...spent the first night in Glasgow at a little hotel run by a family - the mom made THE BEST full Scottish breakfast I've ever eaten - then the next day took a train up through the Highlands as far as it would go , all the way to a beautiful coastal town called Tain, then took a taxi to Dornoch and stayed in the remnants of an old little castle...then took a bus up north to an area near Dunrobin castle..hiked up through a public park/forest to see amazing waterfalls...hung out by the ocean..took the same route back to Glasgow. Took a highland tour that went to Loch Ness etc...roamed around downtown Glasgow, ended up at a bar with Karaoke and was adopted by an old lady(80's easily) who told me she had gotten to the bar early because her heater had failed (In october!) So she went to the bar to get warm!lol they entered me into a Karaoke contest and voted me through to finals (which I had to miss because I left the day before it..totally missed out on cash prizes lol)..roamed around Kelvingrove Museum (museums are all free entry there) and the area around it...

Anyway..what I'm saying is, it was the best vacation I've ever taken!! And I went Oct 20-30, missed the usual tourist time and any chance of warm weather lol

Sctoland and Ireland both have gorgeous scenery and history and hiking/waterfalls/lochs/castles etc...but if you want somewhere for snorkeling/warm this isn't it lol

• KiwiDerbyBride
    Super May 2015
    KiwiDerbyBride ·

Edinburgh is one of my favourite cities on the planet. So much history, so much to see and do there. And the Highlands are beautiful - the Isle of Skye is gorgeous but the whole place is amazing. We went to the UK on honeymoon and actually did a 4-day bike trip through Scotland (from Stirling to Pitlochry) which was awesome. We visited loads of tiny towns, including one called Kenmore where Queen Victoria holidayed and where the pub has a Robbie Burns poem written on the wall!

Ireland is also beautiful - I loved Killarney and Galway the most I think.

• Sarah
    Dedicated September 2019
    Sarah ·
    We got engaged in Ireland- we stayed in Dublin, Killarney and Cong but got engaged at the Cliffs of Moher! They are absolutely amazing and a must see in my opinion. Trinity college in Dublin is also awesome and one of my favorite places we saw. We booked our trip through Costco and stayed in Ashford Castle in Cong and if you can stay there it’s seriously incredible and by far the fanciest place I have ever been. We told them we just got engaged and they were over the top accommodating so I think they would be even more so on a honeymoon!
  • Katie
    Dedicated October 2018
    Katie ·
    I didn’t go for a honeymoon but went on a family trip. I absolutely loved staying in Kilarney. It’s a cute little town and close to the Ring of Kerry. I think only a day or two is needed in Dublin- it’s more city like. They have a tour bus that can take you around to all the popular sites like St. Patrick’s cathedral, Guinness and Jameson. Malahide is a pretty coastal town. Giants Causeway. Cliffs of Moher.

i would actually recommend checking out Railstour Ireland too. It was an easy way to get around and see everything.
  • Vanessasaurus
    VIP June 2019
    Vanessasaurus ·
    Hey! We recently went to Ireland with a Groupon and there were parts we LOVED about the trip, and parts that were honestly very disappointing. We stayed in Kilkenny, Killarney, Galway, and Dublin. We really did not like Kilkenny very much (it felt like a tourist trap and there isn't much besides pubs, tourist shops, and a few medieval buildings there). We also weren't huge fans of Dublin (the city is not very appealing overall, and we got followed by a man heading back to our hotel, there also isn't a lot of attractions so everything has crazy lines so definitely book ahead). However we did enjoy the Guiness factory and the Jameson factory was awesome in Dublin!

We really loved the West coast the most. We loved Killarney, Dingle, and Clare! The nature there is just out of this world. DO the dingle penisula drive, it is an incredible place and every mile or so there is a site to stop at to take it all in, hold lambs, venture in the old bee hive huts, etc. The town there is also this adorable seaside town. Killarney national park and the Gap of Dunloe are also a must! Killarney was my favorite little city to get food and drinks and I felt the safest in this area. We stayed at the Great Southern Killarney and the hotel was so elegant and grand! Cliffs of Moher is a must but get there early if you want to see the puffins (we missed them and I'm still a little sad about this)! We walked along the cliffs for miles and miles, we couldn't get enough of the. Galway was probably the most lively city to catch live music and go out, but the city itself is nothing too special in my opinion. Maybe spend a night or two, but definitely not any longer there. If I did the trip again I would only go to the west coast, drive up to Norther Ireland, and then Scotland. You live, you learn though! Hope this is helpful!
  • GoodMOB
    April 2018
    GoodMOB ·

I second the recommendation for the Dingle peninsula. We biked around it, though. Stayed in a B & B. Loved that! Watched fishermen mending their nets at the harbor in town, enjoyed the sheep, old buildings, beehive huts.

Also, we took a boat out to the Aran Islands, and enjoyed that very much. Depends what you are looking for in a honeymoon.

• M
    Beginner June 2018
    MG ·
    I haven’t been yet - but we’re doing Iceland, Ireland, and Scotland for ours!
  • J
    Savvy August 2018
    Jacie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I love the idea of biking around!! We're just looking for an adventure, with the ability to explore.
  • J
    Savvy August 2018
    Jacie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh my goodness thank you so much!! You just make it sound so magical! I cannot wait, thanks also for the heads up about Kilkenny. We're trying to limit the number of tourist traps we visit.
  • J
    Savvy August 2018
    Jacie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I don't think I ever would have thought about doing a railstour. That's awesome!!
  • Katie
    Dedicated October 2018
    Katie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    It was an awesome company. They provide a tour guide so you make sure to see all the important things. Ours was well educated and made the time so much fun. You also have time on your own to explore. This company also set up lodging every night
  • fiona
    Just Said Yes April 2014
    fiona ·

Cliffs of Moher in Ireland is a must!

Veronica and Nathan, the stunning Cliffs of Moher

Comment on this discussion