Alicia
Dedicated May 2015

Invitation Only Reception

Alicia, on April 30, 2014 at 3:16 PM Posted in Planning 0 21
Saved Save

So on yesterday, we went to check out the reception venue that we absolutely positively loved, but it only holds a specific amount of people. Now we are forced to look at our guest list and decide who needs to be at the reception and who doesn't! I need help in this area.......any suggestions????

21 Comments

• Out the Window
    Master May 2014
    Out the Window ·
    • Flag

What's more important? Your guests or the venue?

Whatever you do, DON'T invite people to JUST the ceremony and NOT the reception.

• Bennett=blessed
    VIP June 2014
    Bennett=blessed ·
    • Flag

Whew Alicia! That's a hard one! I'd suggest a list that can meet the #of people requirements and also same people invited to ceremony attend reception...would be a hard pill to swallow to be invited to one and not the other.

• Sunshine
    Super September 2015
    Sunshine ·
    • Flag

Who needs to be at the reception? Or who needs to be at the whole wedding? If someone is invited to the ceremony, they MUST be invited to the reception.

• Finally mrs.jkr
    Master May 2020
    Finally mrs.jkr ·
    • Flag

Firstly, anyone who comes to the ceremony should be invited to the reception.

Secondly... I found this tool useful

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/105412447499053830/

• Celia Milton
    December 2019
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

Ditto OTW. Everyone at the ceremony needs to be at the reception unless you're inviting your whole church (and then doing a punch and cake thing afterwards).

• Maltese
    Master June 2015
    Maltese ·
    • Flag

That same thing happened to me, and caused a few arguments. My FH was the one pushing up the guest list while I was being ruthless...he would have everyone on the planet there if it was up to him. We are not having ANY children there....I have a lot of second cousins in their mid twenties that I'm not really close with; they weren't invited but their parents are. Cut out an entire portion of the family but not inviting cousins of our parents or THIER aunts and uncles (unless we knew them and were close to them) and as for the friends, basically if we haven't seen you in a year, you were definitely not invited.

But we have a B List of stock piled invitations that we are going to give out...as and if people respond with a decline, the first people on the B List get invited and so on...

I like that the venue we chose had a limit (220) so we could go CRAZY with our guest list and it helps us to plan a bit better

• Bennett=blessed
    VIP June 2014
    Bennett=blessed ·
    • Flag

This thread is about to take off...snack time...

• A&G
    Master August 2014
    A&G ·
    • Flag

Start with immediate family, close friends and any other family that you are close to (eg you've spent alot of time growing up with your cousins). See how that list is. If there is still room then start adding extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins). If there is still room then add other friends.

Though I have to reiterate what Out the Window said: What's more important, having all the guests you want, or the venue you want?

Also I agree with her, if you invite someone to the ceremony invite them to the reception. It is very very rude to invite someone to the ceremony but leave them out of the reception.

• Miss P.
    Master September 2014
    Miss P. ·
    • Flag

Uh oh...

**grabbing popcorn with Bennett

• Alicia
    Dedicated May 2015
    Alicia ·
    • Flag

Thanks ladies very helpful!!!!! We didn't want to hurt feelings or cause any drama, so I believe we will just move the venue to our second choice!!!!!

• Alicia
    Dedicated May 2015
    Alicia ·
    • Flag

Lol

• Out the Window
    Master May 2014
    Out the Window ·
    • Flag

I hope my comment was what stirred the pot. It was just a legit question to ask. It's ok if you don't care for your Mother's Sister's FBIL's Cousin's Twice Removed Aunt... (if such a thing exists).

• Mrs.ChanelNewNew
    VIP November 2014
    Mrs.ChanelNewNew ·
    • Flag

Well that was simple. She just decided to change the venue. Good choice.

• MrsWilliams
    VIP September 2014
    MrsWilliams ·
    • Flag

Good Choice Alicia

• Samantha
    VIP August 2014
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

Our ceremony is open to everyone but we are having an invitation only and adult only reception and no one is bothered by the idea. Most people really don't care as long as they get to share in your special day in some way

• Celia Milton
    December 2019
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

Samantha, that's just not true. People who don't get invited to the reception after being invited to the ceremony feel slighted, even though they might not tell you to your face. They do care, and your day, face it, is not as special to them as it is to you.

If they are important to you, invite them to everything.

Alicia, Bravo!

• Celia Milton
    December 2019
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

Samantha, that's just not true. People who don't get invited to the reception after being invited to the ceremony feel slighted, even though they might not tell you to your face. They do care, and your day, face it, is not as special to them as it is to you.

If they are important to you, invite them to everything.

Alicia, Bravo!

• Kaegurl
    Master June 2014
    Kaegurl ·
    • Flag

Our reception venue only holds a certain amount of people - so we invited those same people to the ceremony. No more, no less.

• Katie
    Super June 2014
    Katie ·
    • Flag

Alicia this is for you! I agree with Celia, if I were invited to only one part of a wedding - I would feel like the couple didn't actually care enough for me to be there.

• Alicia
    Dedicated May 2015
    Alicia ·
    • Flag

Thanks Ladies!!!!! We chose to choose another venue!!! You guys are very helpful & honest Smiley smile

Comment on this discussion