We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Shanice
Dedicated March 2019

Interesting Marriage License Stories

Shanice, on March 13, 2019 at 7:29 PM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 12
Saved Save
Hi guys! I’m only 10 days away from my wedding (03/23/19) and the last thing for me to do is get my marriage license which I’m getting in Tuesday!

In honor of that, I’m interested in hearing any funny, crazy, or interesting stories about when you went to get your marriage licenses! Annnnnd GO!

12 Comments

• S
    Devoted December 2018
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    We took a “yay we got our marriage license” picture in front of the court house and a bunch of strangers started clapping and cheering to congratulate us...they thought we got married at the court house.
  • Jessica
    Expert March 2019
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    Were getting ours Thursday the 21st Smiley smile same wedding day as you
  • Stephanie
    Expert October 2018
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    I’ve got a good one. So we went to get our marriage license and went in the courthouse, and of course they were closed because it’s Good Friday. Ughhhhhhhhhh it was so annoying to have to wait UNTIL Tuesday to get it. And then wait three more days because there’s a three day waiting period in PA. It was very annoying and we were very pissed off. (We called the courthouse and looked everywhere NOWHERE ANYWHERE DID IT say they were closed, not in the phone; not on the doors. So we wandered around annoyed for a while before just figuring it out.
  • Melissa
    Savvy April 2019
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    After going through security, we asked the police officer where to go and he said “up the stairs and to the right”. Then he stepped in front of my fiancé and said in a deep and serious voice, “you should know that legend says, once you get to the top of those stairs...there’s no turning back.” Haha! If he wasn’t nervous before, he definitely became nervous!
  • Shanice
    Dedicated March 2019
    Shanice ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    😂😂😂 extremely nerve wrecking I bet!!
  • Cayla
    Dedicated August 2020
    Cayla ·
    • Flag
    This is such a great discussion post idea! 😂
  • Shanice
    Dedicated March 2019
    Shanice ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    You’re going to make me triple check for holidays 😂
  • Shanice
    Dedicated March 2019
    Shanice ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I hope to hear some juicy stories 😂
  • Porterpoppin
    VIP March 2019
    Porterpoppin ·
    • Flag
    This will be good lol.

We’re getting married 3/29 and going to get our license next Friday! Hopefully it’s a smooth process. Our day is jam packed that day with a drs appt for our 1 year old, dentist for FH, doctors appt for me, FH got a call for a job interview that day and had to ask for a different day lol plus our 8 year old is on spring break so she’ll be with us. We’re gonna make the license the very first thing we do!!
  • 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

We live in Maryland and were married in Massachusetts. Since we weren't in Massachusetts three days before the wedding, we had to get a court to waive the normal three-day waiting period. So we go to the courthouse, and get assigned to a judge in family court. Before he gets to us, the judge is hearing all these heart-breaking cases--divorces, child custody, involuntary commitments. etc. He finally gets to us, and we explain that we want the waiver, because we just got to Massachusetts, and have the wedding scheduled for the next day. After he grants our request, all the spectators in the courtroom applauded.

• Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper ·
    • Flag
    I don’t know if I have anything SUPER interesting , but here’s what I got:

my husband has a RIDICULOUS polish last name. We’re talking over 10 letters, completely unpronounceable, silent Z in the middle kind of name. I have to admit , it gave me pause , but , I always wanted to take my husband’s name so despite the name itself, I went for it. Filled out the form at the clerk’s and handed it to the lady. She went through and scrutinized all our details to make sure everything is right and when she first read my husband’s name she was like “ohhhh boy” and then her eyes immediately darted to the “surname after marriage” line and she looked at me and said “ohh honey .you know you don’t HAVE to do this. You can make your last name ANYTHING you want! This is your only chance!!” Haha we got a good chuckle out of that.

The other thing is: she went on a long spiel about double triple checking to make sure every detail on the license app was correct bc this was the time it had to be right and after it was processed it’d be super difficult to fix. So, we’re sitting there filling out this form and it asks for mother’s middle name. Husband writes “Elizabeth” and I notice and say “huh, your mom’s middle name is Elizabeth? I never knew that!” And he was like “yup. ...welll....it’s either that . Or Mary. But I’m like 99% sure it’s Elizabeth. Just not totally sure if it’s spelled with a Z or an S” ....anyway, lucky we happened to be seeing his mom immediately after this and he happened to say something like “how do you spell your middle name?” And she looked at him like he was a nut job ....because, turns out: She doesn’t have a middle name!!!!! Hahaha
  • Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Smiley laugh I just laughed out loud in the middle of the office!

Comment on this discussion

Related articles