Dyan
Devoted October 2009

In Search of a Photographer continued

Dyan, on November 11, 2009 at 6:37 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 23
Saved Save

He is unwilling to do that. He has offered to have me do a sitting in his studio, but my package includes a second studio sitting anyway, and it doesn't provide pictures at the alter (which is what I want).

So, I am looking for a photographer who will meet me to take pictures of me in my gown at the alter. Since I will have to pay the money to get my hair and makeup done and get a bouquet, I need someone who can take the pictures at a low price (no more than $75). It should not take more than an hour because it is only me. I am also looking for someone who can provide the digital images for me on a CD. I live in Baltimore but the church is in Annapolis, MD. I would rather not take off work to have pictures taken because I have negative vacation days due to the wedding. Also my make up artist is a full time student. If someone is available on the Friday after Thanksgiving that would be ideal. Please contact me if you or someone you know can help! Thanks.

23 Comments

• Secmele Randle
    November 2019
    Secmele Randle ·
    • Flag

I am not trying to be mean so please don't take this the wrong way but you will most likely get the same result as before for $75 dollars. If these shots are that important to you hire a professional. I don't know a professional who does pictures for 75 dollars, why don't you find a photographer you love and get a price quote from him/ her and save up and take your pictures then.

• Laura
    Master May 2009
    Laura ·
    • Flag

WOW!!! Yeah I don't want you to take this the wrong way either, and I'm really sorry you're so disappointed with your photos since we all know how heartbreaking that is....but that is one tall order you have there that is really unreasonable. A decent photographer will charge more than $75 JUST for the CD, not to mention an hour session, traveling there, and all the editing of them. On top of that you want it on a holiday? Whew!!! I understand why you want all that but just a word to the wise, don't get your hopes up and especially don't get your hopes up to get anything quality. I think the PP is right that you might have better luck finding a friend with a decent camera who can help you out. Good luck!!

• Marirosa Anderson
    November 2019
    Marirosa Anderson ·
    • Flag

Hi there.... I'm a photographer in Northern VA. As a photographer I agree with the previous posts...contact me if you'd like and I can see how I may be able to help. Howerver, the $75 fee is low for all involved. Email me...

********@*********************.*** and I can see how I may be able to help out...

Marirosa

• Larry  Williams
    November 2019
    Larry Williams ·
    • Flag

$75!!! I wouldn't pull out of my driveway for that. Good luck finding someone... you need to be realistic, and consider what is really involved in the "day in the life" of a professional photographer.

You MAY find a student at a local college who would take a point and shoot camera for that, so give them a call and see. A friend with a camera is what you're going to have to consider.

When considering a photographer, the going rate for an average $20,000 total wedding budget is $3500, just for the photographer. Hope that puts your thinking into proper perspective.

Good luck, and keep us posted with your find AND results.

Larry

• Dyan
    Devoted October 2009
    Dyan ·
    • Flag

I appreciate all of your responses. I'm in a bind, which is why I posed the question. I honestly did not realize no pictures were taken of me alone at the alter. So I'm stuck having paid the photographer thousands of dollars and do not feel like my wedding photos are complete. I know none of you are trying to be rude but some of the responses could have been phrased in a more compassionate way. For those of you who were brides at one time, imagine what that might feel like - I have no portraits of me in my gown to put on my wall, or in an album or give to parents and grandparents. I just don't understand how that happens. I am broke because of the wedding and don't have extra money to recreate something that should have been taken on my wedding day. Someone suggested I try to get a student from the Maryland Institute College of Arts, so I will definitely try there.

• Dyan
    Devoted October 2009
    Dyan ·
    • Flag

Also to clarify, NO pictures were taken of me at all, alone in my gown. So, at least some result would be better than that.

• Not-A-Bridezilla
    Master May 2010
    Not-A-Bridezilla ·
    • Flag

Dyan-- I think everyone on here had good intentions (I replied on your other post). I am very sorry you had to deal with that and that photographer should be ashamed of himself! Do you by any chance have a list of mandatory shots for your wedding? If so, if he signed it you could definitely sue him for not getting the shots that he said he would get in the contract. Not the most pleasant way to go, but it sounds like he really doesn't care about being pleasant. Anyways, I can completely understand why you want the photos now but maybe you could wait a bit? I would look around to find a reasonable photographer you like and then once you find that person you can save up money as needed. After all you will still have your wedding dress. I don't know if you got my last post but my photographer is Kitty from A Personal Touch Photography and she's awesome. Good luck!

• Dyan
    Devoted October 2009
    Dyan ·
    • Flag

Oh, I'm sure everyone on here had good intentions, and I do appreciate the information, as I said. However as a person who has been put in this situation and has not budgeted for this, and has been made to feel like this is my fault by the owner of the company, I wish people had been a little more sensitive in their responses. Clearly my situation is desperate. I did receive a list of shots the photographer was supposed to take at my wedding. I pointed out to the owner that there were several shots not taken that were on that list. I do plan to contact a lawyer about this but that still leaves me without portraits of me. The reason I was in a rush to try to get some taken is because I planned to create photo albums for my parents, grandparents and in-laws for Christmas, which is quickly approaching. I don't want to make albums especially for my parents and grandparents without portraits of me.

• Secmele Randle
    November 2019
    Secmele Randle ·
    • Flag

Dyan my intentions were never to make you feel as if this was you fault, I just wanted you to know that for the budget you set aside for portraits was not a realistic budget for a professional photographer and might end up unhappy again with the end results. Maybe you will considering saving up for your portraits and give your family pictures as a late Christmas gift.

• Analy aka T-waffle
    Master October 2009
    Analy aka T-waffle ·
    • Flag

I completely understand your frustration! I would be very upset. I just wanted to offer an alternative idea...since you want these as a gift. Perhaps you can do a TTD session (either now or later) and do a separate album with those images to give as either a late gift, or at another time. Those would be all of you in your dress, and perhaps you could even do the altar shots at that time too? Just a suggestion since you will always have the gown...

• Wanda  Lechene
    November 2019
    Wanda Lechene ·
    • Flag

Wow i feel really bad. i understand and feel for you.

but like everyone say in here its going to be hard to find a photographer that would do it for that price..

and also the traveling part too.

i wish you the best..

Wanda Lechene Photography

• The Potters
    Master September 2009
    The Potters ·
    • Flag

I think for the wedding day you don't necessarily get pictures of just you in your dress. That is something you do before the wedding during a bridal portrait session. You needed to tell the photographer that day that you wanted some of just you. I am so sorry you feel this way! I wish you loved all your pictures. Maybe get a friend who has a nice camera and takes good pictures and just have him/her do it. Then you can get a photo CD at your local grocery store/walgreens/CVS/target

• Dyan
    Devoted October 2009
    Dyan ·
    • Flag

I have found that bridal portrait sessions before the wedding are many times a regional thing. At all of the weddings I have been in and been to, portraits of the bride were taken at the alter, either before or after the ceremony. The company I used provided a shot list to me ahead of time, and according to it, 5-6 portraits of me should have been taken the day of the wedding, which did not happen. I'm just so frustrated because this will turn out to be an additional, costly expense that I did not budget for, and the owner of the company is not accommodating at all. This means I will be out of pocket for the expenses of something that should have happened the day of the wedding. UGH! All I want are pictures of me in my gown at the alter - no bells, no whistles. I am going to look into how much a student photographer will charge, and I also plan to consult an attorney since the photographer did not take all of the pictures that were on the company's shot list.

• Lady T
    Beginner February 2010
    Lady T ·
    • Flag

I totally understand your gripe with not getting what you wanted on your special day. It also makes me realize how specific I need to be when my day comes. My suggestion for you is this, take a family member or close friend that is really good at taking photos with a digital camera. Have them take as many shot as necessary until you get at least 5 or more good shots close ups and full body shots of you in your gown at the alter. Download them yourself to a disc and have have them printed out or sign up fo shutterfly they have excellent DIY photo packages. I know this will work (if you get someone who is good with a camera) because I have done this for my cousin who was recently married and asked me to take engagement photos of her and her hubby. It was free and fun for me and them. GOOD LUCK with whatever you decide

• Dyan
    Devoted October 2009
    Dyan ·
    • Flag

Thanks Lady T. My husband is good at taking pictures, so I have talked to him about taking pictures of me at the alter. Unfortunately the process won't be free however - I am an African American woman who currently has my hair completely in braids. I will have to remove them and get my hair professionally done before taking pictures in my gown. In addition, I would have to have my make up professionally done as well as a small bouquet made. I'm looking at about $200 for all that. Again it's just frustrating because this should have been done the day of the wedding. I know there isn't anything I can do about it and if I want the pictures, I just have do it.

• Lady T
    Beginner February 2010
    Lady T ·
    • Flag

I'm sorry you had to go through mess and end up spending more money but the one good thing is it will be fun for both of you and the pics will look genuine as if it was still your wedding day since your man is the one you'll be smiling at when you take your pics.

• Larry  Williams
    November 2019
    Larry Williams ·
    • Flag

I too am sorry if my post came off harsh. What I've come to realize on these forums is the vast number of brides who get into circumstances that go bad. Lot's of vents and complaints about this or that vendor. So, what are you going to do? My response to you above was way too short to fully explain. So, let me try again...

I've mentioned this in other threads, and truly believe every bride should do this... get information on your vendors. Look at their web sites, and do some homework and research. Log onto their blogs, Google them by name and business.

Know who you're hiring by checking them out... do the leg work! Check FaceBook, Twitter, MySpace and YouTube on every vendor. If they're not there, then you are dealing with a "newbie" or someone not putting the effort into their professional business.

Can you hire a friend to give you good results??? Maybe. How important is perfection to you? Is a non-pro acceptable to you? (continued)

• Larry  Williams
    November 2019
    Larry Williams ·
    • Flag

When you hire a non-pro, or a friend with a couple of speakers and an iPod... or a friend who took photography or cake decorating at a hobby class, then you're taking the risk of disappointment. I don't have a problem with DIY brides, but you have to be realistic with your expectations with amateurs.

You get what you pay for, and it seems like this particular photographer doesn't care about your outcome. It's too bad that other professionals get lumped into this persons ethics. You got a bad one, and maybe you can get some help to fix this... I hope so.

Vendors here are in business to make a living, and that doesn't happen by screwing customers. I'm willing to bet you can find a solution that will make you happy, but you may have to look to a professional in order for this to happen. It's too bad you need to put good money after bad, to get the result you want.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Larry

• Nicole Hubbs
    November 2019
    Nicole Hubbs ·
    • Flag

Send me an e-mail... I might be able to work something out for you. Please let me know exactly what is is that you need. Is it just a few formals at the church or do you need a wedding day photographer as well? I hope to hear from you soon.

***************************@**********.***

• Nicole Hubbs
    November 2019
    Nicole Hubbs ·
    • Flag

Ok, once I read further I see what happened... I can do the pictures and meet your budget. I'm not sure how your photographer failed to get those images for you.

Comment on this discussion