L
Savvy October 2015

I'm having a MELTDOWN

Latosha & Laen, on May 8, 2014 at 11:30 PM Posted in Planning 0 20
Saved Save

So here is the problem, I have my engagement ring and I cannot find a wedding band to match it. It was an original and the store went out of business. So tonight we looked for me a new set and I found one that I liked. Ladies help me out what do you think, should I get a new one or keep the old one and keep searching for a band? The old one is the one with the car steering wheel(sorry the only pic I had)

20 Comments

• Susan
    Master March 2015
    Susan ·

You have a really long time to keep looking. I have a unique ring with 3 knots and i finally just decided to go with a plan band to match. Not really a jewelry person and I am a nurse so I wear gloves all day, The band style ering is perfect for me.

• Future Mrs.Whitaker
    VIP August 2014
    Future Mrs.Whitaker ·

Could always get an eternity band

• Megan
    Super May 2015
    Megan ·

Get a new engagement ring?!?! I personally would keep shopping for a band that matched your first one. My FH picked out mine all by himself and it would break my heart if I had to replace it ever. I mean obviously the final decision is yours, but that's my opinion/advice.

• L
    Savvy October 2015
    Latosha & Laen ·

Thanks ladies!

Master October 2013
  • Jenn...Mrs. F!
    VIP September 2014
    Jenn...Mrs. F! ·

I had the same issue, I ended up getting a new set all together, as it was actually the more affordable route. My first ring was aquamarine and the softer stone was hard for me not to scratch, but I wanted blue. I ended up finding a diamond/blue diamond set and am in love with it!! I'll still keep my original ering as a special occasion ring.

I like both, it's up to you and what you feel most comfortable in. Have you looked into custom options, it can be pricey but if can fit in your budget it's an option. It just wasn't a budget friendly option for me. Good luck!

• Tiffany
    Super October 2014
    Tiffany ·

You should talk it over with your fh. He might be upset if you get a different ring. i would keep looking.

• Meghan
    Expert September 2014
    Meghan ·

Try going to a place to get one custom made. My engagement ring was custom made by a local jeweler. A local jeweler can make something to match.

• OfficiallyMrs.Bentley
    Super May 2014
    OfficiallyMrs.Bentley ·

I had to have my band custom made to match. I wish I would have listened to FH when I initially picked it out and got the set.

• Nancy Taussig
    November 2019
    Nancy Taussig ·

I think your ring is fine by itself. No need to add another. Just have FH place this one on your finger when you get married.

A friend received an antique engagement ring and there was nothing that would work with it. So, it is also her wedding ring.

• A&G
    Master August 2014
    A&G ·

Stick with the old one and find a wedding band that goes with it. I have the same issue as you. My wedding ring was custom made by FH's father (it was the engagement ring for FH's parents then passed down to FH for me). So mine is SUPER unique and like you the store went out of business so I can't have them make the wedding band.

What I've done: Go around to jewelry stores in your area. Say "This is my engagement ring *show hand* it was custom made and now I need a wedding band" Store staff have been more than helpful in showing what they have that could work.

Or, lots of other jewelry stores make custom rings. If you have an idea in mind of what you want, then go to them with an idea and say "here is my custom engagement ring. I want this sort of thing for my wedding band can you make it?"

There are a million options out there. Stick with your original one and find the perfect wedding band for it.

• Sandy
    Devoted October 2015
    Sandy ·

I agree, I don't think I could replace my my engagement ring. I would keep searching, you'll find one! =]

• L
    Savvy October 2015
    Latosha & Laen ·

Thanks Ladies once again I couldn't bare getting another although they are cute. I have an attachment to her I even named her "SPARKLE." One jewelry store we went to suggested getting her cut down since the band sits so high, and I just can't stand the thought of her being somewhere else for so long then coming back and me not liking it. I won't take that chance so I'll keep looking.

• MissMadeline
    Master June 2014
    MissMadeline ·

Keep looking for a band that complements your original engagement ring. Is there a jeweler in your area who can custom make a band?

• Ashley
    Super February 2015
    Ashley ·

I tried on a ton of rings and couldnt find one that matched I was about to give up but the lady at Shaws kept looking and found one that was a perfect fit!

• LB
    Master May 2014
    LB ·

Take a breath. When the answer is not right in front of you, that is an answer in itself. Don't act hastily and you'll figure it out.

• mscountry
    Master July 2014
    mscountry ·

I simple gold band would work. It does not have to match. That ring is so different that it should stand out from the wedding band. I love it!

• Jill
    Expert June 2014
    Jill ·

I reset my e-ring to match a band I found that I loved. So happy I did!!

• KayWell
    Super July 2014
    KayWell ·

I looked for a long time (my E-ring is vintage) and NOTHING was right. I gave up. nothing says you NEED to have a wedding band. I certainly wouldn't dream of replacing my E-ring. That is what he proposed with, and i had no hand in picking it. In my opinion, no matter how ugly, the E-ring is forever (in no way saying yours is ugly, just stating how important i think the proposal and FH's choice is!). Maybe go without?

• Marsha
    Devoted August 2014
    Marsha ·

My e ring was my grandmother's so it was important I found just the right wedding band to match I found mine today. Keep looming is it there somewhere.

Comment on this discussion